Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Has anyone watched much of McNeil?  He can pass, shoot, take people on and beat them and has a footballing brain as good as anyone in our team. Just watch some highlights and you can see his quality.  He's already much better than any of our wingers will ever be.

All this at the age of 20.

Harsh on Barnes.

I know this doesn't show the full picture but....

image.thumb.png.54b93dc7523a6c523f403fc7eeceff6d.png

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

Edited by Bakey
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, CountrysideFox said:

He's proven to be a decent PL player, at 20-years-old there's still plenty of room for improvement.

His stats are a lot more impressive considering he's not playing the likes of Dijon or Santa Clara :giggle:

His stats are nothing special, he's not really proven anything. Thauvin has won the World Cup and put together more goals and assists from the wing in any given season in the top leagues (18/19) than any other winger in years. No doubt because he flopped at Newcastle he simply cannot be good enough, like Serge Gnabry?

Trincao is already in the Portugal squad and posted better stats than McNeil at an equally unfashionable club. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CountrysideFox said:

He's proven to be a decent PL player, at 20-years-old there's still plenty of room for improvement.

His stats are a lot more impressive considering he's not playing the likes of Dijon or Santa Clara :giggle:

No, he's doing it against true football giants like Norwich and Bournemouth :giggle:

1 minute ago, Bezzanator89 said:

All this kerfuffle because of indykaila and Chappers? Bet SeanFromEnderby might have something to say as well.

Jeez. Someone have a word. 

Could say that about 99% of the transfer stuff on twitter - so little gets out from clubs nowadays, its all agent led (like tarkowskis article with matt law). The clubs have little real interest in leaking stuff as it jeopardises deals and theyll use their own media for it. Unless someone comes out with a 'its virtually done' I'd take it all with  pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

His stats are nothing special, he's not really proven anything. Thauvin has won the World Cup and put together more goals and assists from the wing in any given season in the top leagues (18/19) than any other winger in years. No doubt because he flopped at Newcastle he simply cannot be good enough, like Serge Gnabry?

Trincao is already in the Portugal squad and posted better stats than McNeil at an equally unfashionable club. 

Thauvin's contribution to France winning the World Cup is about the same as my contribution to my pension pot, except I have almost hit double figures.

Fair play to the lad on his league stats, but I maintain that he's a good player in a poor league. McNeil is younger, and will likely improve and has authentic league experience. In all likelihood, he also has more professional years ahead of him.

Not sure on Burnley being fashionable, the last I checked soul patches and casual racism are fairly dated.

Having said all this, would happily take any of the three at present!

18 minutes ago, CountrysideFox said:

Thauvin's contribution to France winning the World Cup is about the same as my contribution to my pension pot, except I have almost hit double figures.

Fair play to the lad on his league stats, but I maintain that he's a good player in a poor league. McNeil is younger, and will likely improve and has authentic league experience. In all likelihood, he also has more professional years ahead of him.

Not sure on Burnley being fashionable, the last I checked soul patches and casual racism are fairly dated.

Having said all this, would happily take any of the three at present!

But to get in to France's squad isn't that easy and certainly not in a final 23 for a World Cup. That was the reference I was making. McNeil will be nowhere near a World Cup squad ever.

To even consider him better than Thauvin is astonishing really.

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

That's in Burnleys conservative system though. Barnes, who's been mr inconsistent here has got good stats. Reckon mcneil could even be better here. 

I agree with this, if we’re looking at playing with 2 inverted wingers I’ll be happy with Barnes and McNeil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

How about the Burnley fans on here that watch him all the time and literally state that his best quality is to "get the ball in". 

I'm pretty sure our scouts have a better understanding of his strengths and weaknesses than even the most knowledgeable Burnley fans. That is their job they study and track players for years, Dwight would have been on a lot of clubs radar's before most Burnley fans would have heard of him. 

59 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

So, perhaps we don’t need a 20-year winger at this time.

Maybe your right but the truth is tha most wingers are inconsistent. Even the great Mahrez went missing in games. It's part and parcel of the position. 

We are not the right club for him in my opinion. He is a good old fashioned type of winger solid but not spectacular.

I feel if we spend 30m plus on him he has to perform at a higher level than all our current wingers, he has potential but certainly hasn’t  proven he can achieve 10 goals and assist a season. 

We currently have a promising young winger we are trying to develop  we don’t need another prospect.

• Like 4