Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

26 minutes ago, tetly said:

We are not the right club for him in my opinion. He is a good old fashioned type of winger solid but not spectacular.

I feel if we spend 30m plus on him he has to perform at a higher level than all our current wingers, he has potential but certainly hasn’t  proven he can achieve 10 goals and assist a season. 

We currently have a promising young winger we are trying to develop  we don’t need another prospect.

Agreed. I'd rather we went a got a proven winger but unfortunately they cant be picked up for £30m. I would like a left footed winger than plays on the right. I've never seen McNeil play on the right so would mean we have Barnes and McNeil fighting for the left wing spot whilst we still have little options on the right wing. Unless we aren't planning on playing wingers and move Barnes into support striker role and use McNeil as a left wing back. 

I think McNeil is a really good player, but I see him as being better suited to playing a more 4-4-2 type game with high work rate and lots of balls into the box. I could see him doing well at Spurs, Everton, Newcastle etc, but from what I’ve seen it would be a square peg round whole scenario in terms of how we play.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

There was me thinking you can only cross high...

We don't load the box either Geoff, we don't rip teams apart with our passing either, to create loads of space for a ball across the back like a Man Cty. Pretty much all of our crossing was to a lone man stood in the box, which generally means it's a lofted ball to get beyond the first defender. 

If we were drawing up a list of what we needed, would "someone who can cross" be top of that list, having seen how we played last year?

...but a player who can beat a man and drive into the box is not a weapon we have in our armoury!!!

We need to get more bodies into the box, which was what we did at the first half of the season, our inabilty to break down a stubborn defense held us back and quashed our ability to commit men forward, it's an option that we need, we are toothless otherwise.

13 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I like McNeil. Not surprised by the usual snobbery in here. 
Foreign player ‘X’ is better than English player ‘Y’ even though you’ve not seen them play 😂 

I’d rather we sign McNeil than not sign a wide man at all, surely everyone would agree?

Tbh the foreign talents on the market are usually better than english ones just cause the pool of players is larger. For every english player available you can probably get a better player abroad from france, germany, spain, argentina, brazil etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lcfceaves said:

Foreign player ‘X’ is better than English player ‘Y’ even though you’ve not seen them play 😂 

I’d rather we sign McNeil than not sign a wide man at all, surely everyone would agree?

There's plenty of the reverse, too - player x might score and create more than McNeil and be a better fit for our team, but they play abroad against useless foreigners while McNeil gets to test himself every week against the best in the business, like Joel Ward and Ahmed Elmohamady.

I don't want to see us making a habit of buying players, English or otherwise, from other Premier League teams - not because I'm a snob and I think all English or England-based players are shit, but because you're routinely paying far more than they're worth and probably double or triple what a player of equivalent quality from abroad would cost. We've sold Maguire and Chilwell for £130m, we should know that better than anyone by now.

If it were a straight choice between signing nobody and signing McNeil then yeah I'm on board, I take back every bad word I've ever said about him and he's my new favourite player, but it isn't.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Well then McNeil must be really bad, cos Barnes is garbage

Barnes has superior stats. Granted, Barnes is playing in a free flowing progressive side whilst McNeil is playing in a team that takes instructions from a caveman called Sean Dyche. 

Barnes is twice the player McNeil is. 

Plus, as others have mentioned، do we really need a guy who's,main strength is beating his man and crossing when we dont play that way at all. 

Edited by Koke

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Barnes has superior stats. Granted, Barnes is playing in a free flowing progressive side whilst McNeil is playing in a team that takes instructions from a caveman called Sean Dyche. 

Barnes is twice the player McNeil is. 

Plus, as others have mentioned، do we really need a guy who's,main strength is beating his man and crossing when we dont play that way at all. 

Pretty sure we are 5th in the table for crosses per game, so not sure that statement is true! 

Edited by coolhandfox

37 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Well then McNeil must be really bad, cos Barnes is garbage

Well football is all about opinions.

personally think we have one of the best prospects in football with Barnes , 1st year in the premier and statistics show he was one of the best players and to sign someone with better stats costs over 75 million.

but obviously you think he is rubbish. Out of interest what makes a good youngster? 

• Like 4

This lad is being tarnished by Burnley's style, a bit like tarks. Just because Dyche asks him to get wide and whip crosses in, doesn't mean that is the only way he can play.

3 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

3 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Tbh the foreign talents on the market are usually better than english ones just cause the pool of players is larger. For every english player available you can probably get a better player abroad from france, germany, spain, argentina, brazil etc.

And more often much cheaper too.

Edited by NaijaFox

I wouldn't worry.   If your random twitterers are right and you have offered £55m for the pair,  then they won't be moving. 

Ignore people who tell you Burnley are short of cash.  They're not. That rumour came about because the chairman said that if football didn't finish last season and start the new one,  then the club would run out of cash by September.   I think perhaps the twitterers didn't notice that the season restarted after all. 

4 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

No, not me.  We've made that mistake before.  We couldn't get a winger and ended up with Ghezzal.  If the right player is not available, I don't believe in buying the wrong one.  We have to wait until that player is found.

I'm not saying McNeill is in Ghezzal's league or a bad player at all, but his lack of pace is a worry for me.  For all his youth and ability he won't get any quicker and that puts a limit on how good a winger he can be imo.

@dsr-burnley, you see more of him than any of us,  What is your opinion?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1