Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Players we expected to be terrible, that were actually decent

39 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Not sure how many people remember this but you would often here shouts of "F*** off  walshy you donkey " from the Kop when he first came here .

Totally. 

As I recall it took a while for him to find his feet and there was a fair amount of abuse from the fans. I don't exclude myself here - he looked totally out of his depth and I had severe doubts about him. 

Shows a mental strength on his part though to turn it round, he must have been aware of it, but never used it to hide behind and ended up as the fans' darling. 

Strong character. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

He wasn’t (albeit compared to the quality around him). Was our only decent centre back for a couple of years.

I do agree that 'comparatively' he was ok, but being relatively good compared with the dross around him does not make him decent. He was pretty rubbish overall....just my opinion of course

1 hour ago, martyn said:

As a midfielder yes. 

When moved to centre back he was good. 

my abiding memory of him is constantly rushing in to clear a header in our half and basically heading it all the way back to their keeper every single time

Some amazing shouts in here!

Agreed on Nugent, Lloyd Dyer, Ndidi, Wes, Simpson and Konchesky in particular.

Going further back I remember David Connolly being surprisingly good and a rare bright spark in a shit team (probably because almost every signing we made turned out awful those days)

15 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Can i get robert huth in there?

I don't think that the 'great escape' would have happened without him. Huth and Ndidi are testament to the fact that in spite of the inflated prices and panic buying, astute acquisitions can actually be made in the January window. 

Ian Marshall immediately sprung to mind as did Gary Mac but they've already been mentioned. I think the best example on here so far was Tony Cottee - who like Claridge, many were similarly underwhelmed by when he signed but like TC, had unfinished business and a point to prove. 

A lot of people were sceptical about Theo Zagorakis who turned out to be very solid for us. Likewise, Scott Taylor. I don't remember being too enthralled by the arrival of Casey Keller, but he was superb. I also remember people being unimpressed by the arrival of Ian Banks from Barnsley, who was excellent. May I also say, Johnny Evans, even though he came on a free - but who proved me completely wrong. I even recall people having doubts about Cambiasso having the required fitness for the Premier League.  Despite his pedigree, I don't think any of us expected him to be quite as valuable as he was that season. 

To turn this on its head, I remember huge excitement about the arrival of Laurie Cunningham, but sadly, in the twilight of his career, he was blighted by injury and it never worked out. 

30 minutes ago, Mythyaar said:

Go back to Foxes Talk 2012 and a load were slating Vardy.

When Vardy first joined us he had the goal scoring instinct BUT he had a terrible first touch

That’s been Vardy’s biggest improvement. He’s always had a finish on him, but his touch and all round game have improved dramatically since being at Leicester. That started with Pearson

4 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Some amazing shouts in here!

Agreed on Nugent, Lloyd Dyer, Ndidi, Wes, Simpson and Konchesky in particular.

Going further back I remember David Connolly being surprisingly good and a rare bright spark in a shit team (probably because almost every signing we made turned out awful those days)

I was not surprised at Lloyd Dyer being good for City. He joined with a strong reputation