Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Players we expected to be terrible, that were actually decent

12 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Only here for a short time but Yuki Abe was a decent championship midfielder. Honestly thought the club brought him in to simply improve our profile in the Far East, which they did but we also got a pretty decent player.

He was out of his depth 

• Like 1

I can’t see how people thought Dyer or Nugent would Be terrible. I was really happy at both and wasn’t suprised how they both did!

Vardy I always thought he looked good, even when he got criticised. I remember wishing he was playing instead of Wood in the awful form 2012/13 end of season and blamed our form on Nigel not playing him and going for route one option!

The one that stands out for me is Maddison. When we signed him I didn’t know much about him but thought he wouldn’t have anywhere near the impact that he has.

In fact since we’ve been back in the EPL the season I was most worried about BEFORE we started was 2018/19 and the reason being was an aging squad and our recruiting to replace Mahrez was poor.
There isn’t many for me where I’ve thought they were terrible then turned good. More the other way round(Mills, Mendy, Musa, Ghezzal).

• Like 2

Alan Smith?

Signed from the mighty Alvechurch I believe and looked a bit awkward when he arrived.  Became a part of that holy trinity of Lynex, Lineker, Smith.  It was surprising how often that corner routine of near post flick on by John O'Neill and buried by Smith worked.

Another Non-Leaguer that went on to play for England, probably before JV was born.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Chris Weale. 

Signed him from Bristol City when he was their second choice keeper and turned out to be really good for us until Sven destroyed his confidence and brought Ricardo in. Was never the same after that. 

When he came on V forest still haunts me. The last minute superman 🤢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fktf said:

Billy McKinlay and Nicky Summerbee (didn't both play for free for a couple of months?)

I thought both when I read the title. But after some real consideration we signed both during a tough period when every signing was expected to basically keep us afloat so didn't think it was in the spirit of things. 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I thought both when I read the title. But after some real consideration we signed both during a tough period when every signing was expected to basically keep us afloat so didn't think it was in the spirit of things. 

Both played quite a bit in the promotion season back then, though. Summerbee more off the bench I think, but I seem to remember McKinlay starting consistently. 

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Chris Weale. 

Signed him from Bristol City when he was their second choice keeper and turned out to be really good for us until Sven destroyed his confidence and brought Ricardo in. Was never the same after that. 

Really good shout. If you look at his CV now you realise he probably wasn’t all that good overall but Pearson clearly had him in a good place when he was here. Probably helped that we weren’t the prettiest of footballing sides during his spell here.

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

Both played quite a bit in the promotion season back then, though. Summerbee more off the bench I think, but I seem to remember McKinlay starting consistently. 

Oh you're right. 

My point was that I didn't look at them and think they'd be terrible. I looked at them and thought they were doing the club a service. It was a different type of value judgement placed on the players signing during that era. 

Billy Mac was one of the better midfielders of his era. 

30 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Kante has to be the pick. Dont think anyone would have seen him progress in the way he has since he joined us. 

Had no expectation there, never heard of him and had no idea. Obviously he was great but I'd no preconceived idea when he signed, unlike others listed. 

Just now, Rain King said:

Benalouane was more than that I think and most reports of him we're that he was terrible!

Yes but I’m talking about Kante? Heavily linked with Marseille at the time and was building quite a glowing reputation, im just not having that he was expected to be terrible and turned out amazingly. 

Most posters in this thread haven’t read the title correctly! :whistle:

Just now, TJB-fox said:

Yes but I’m talking about Kante? Heavily linked with Marseille at the time and was building quite a glowing reputation, im just not having that he was expected to be terrible and turned out amazingly. 

Most posters in this thread haven’t read the title correctly! :whistle:

Oh I agree. Was just commenting regarding the fee.

• Like 1