Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

What I Want To Know Is Why We Are The Only Team To Yet Make A Signing??!!

Strange situation isn't it. I think there's two possibilities.

1) The owners are losing interest in funding the club in general.

I think this is unlikely, given the backing we've had up to now.

2) They're wary of backing Rodgers more than they already have.

I think this is most likely. I think he really lost esteem by losing the CL. I think perhaps they've one eye on the possible need to replace him if we have a poor start to the season. In which case they would want to make money available to a new manager. His signings up to now have not excelled and perhaps their plan is to say to Rodgers, you have to go make the most of what you have already. If he can't, he might be in trouble.

32 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I think this is most likely. I think he really lost esteem by losing the CL. I think perhaps they've one eye on the possible need to replace him if we have a poor start to the season. In which case they would want to make money available to a new manager. His signings up to now have not excelled and perhaps their plan is to say to Rodgers, you have to go make the most of what you have already. If he can't, he might be in trouble.

You think they are the only 2 possible reasons for the small amount of signings so far?

4 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

You think they are the only 2 possible reasons for the small amount of signings so far?

I think it's more than just player availability and financial yeah. Clearly the finances will be a lot tighter than we thought they were going to be in January. But there's clear deficiencies in the squad and I think our response has been atypical of our recent preseasons. I think if we'd made CL they'd have spent big. I think having missed out there's an inclination to have Rodgers make more of what he already has.

2 hours ago, Danny280995 said:

They dont wanna spend a lot its obvious, looking for cheapest best players we can find

Finding the cheapest best players sounds like a fairly marvellous strategy to be honest

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bryn said:

The stupidest post so far this season. 

if finances were indeed really tight, we'd not have splurged £21.5m on a full back with just a year on his contract. As always he's been a long term target and we were in a position to get him for a price we deemed sensible (not sensible if very skint).

There will be movement next week, at least 1 more in and then a couple more by the close of the window.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I think it's unlikely as well if it's true that King Power haven't been funding the club for some time as its pretty much self sufficient. 

21 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I think it's unlikely as well if it's true that King Power haven't been funding the club for some time as its pretty much self sufficient. 

Very true but we've seen other unscrupulous owners start to siphon funds out of their clubs, we're lucky there's never been any remote suggestion of this for us.

54 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Not sure. As you say, option 1 is unlikely - building a state-of-the-art training ground and planning to expand the stadium aren't signs of owners who are developing cold feet. I don't really buy into option 2 either though. If their reservations about Rodgers are such that they're choosing to withhold transfer funds from him (in which case, as @Ric Flair says, why give him a £20m full back to play with?), I'd suggest that he probably wouldn't be here any more, not to mention that they'd be deliberately reducing the chances of the club succeeding this season by doing so. If they send him out with the current squad and they have to sack him because we're not performing, they'd have themselves at least partially to blame. I'm also not sure to what extent you can designate the players who came in last season as "his signings" and if they do have grievances there, they'd be better off directing their ire at the scouting and recruitment departments.

I think it's probably just a combination of a few factors. Like most clubs that aren't owned by oligarchs or oil states, we must be feeling the COVID pinch to some extent. I'd also suggest that we didn't get as much as we may have been planning on for Chilwell and as a consequence we've had to cross some of our more expensive targets off the list. There's also the simple fact that signing players is a tricky business, especially for clubs like us trying to punch above their financial weight, and we seem to have become quite adept at keeping our cards close to our chest - for all we know, we could have two or three signings more or less ready to go.

• Like 1

Just now, Guest said:

Not sure. As you say, option 1 is unlikely - building a state-of-the-art training ground and planning to expand the stadium aren't signs of owners who are developing cold feet. I don't really buy into option 2 either though. If their reservations about Rodgers are such that they're choosing to withhold transfer funds from him (in which case, as @Ric Flair says, why give him a £20m full back to play with?), I'd suggest that he probably wouldn't be here any more, not to mention that they'd be deliberately reducing the chances of the club succeeding this season by doing so. If they send him out with the current squad and they have to sack him because we're not performing, they'd have themselves at least partially to blame. I'm also not sure to what extent you can designate the players who came in last season as "his signings" and if they do have grievances there, they'd be better off directing their ire at the scouting and recruitment departments.

I think it's probably just a combination of a few factors. Like most clubs that aren't owned by oligarchs or oil states, we must be feeling the COVID pinch to some extent. I'd also suggest that we didn't get as much as we may have been planning on for Chilwell and as a consequence we've had to cross some of our more expensive targets off the list. There's also the simple fact that signing players is a tricky business, especially for clubs like us trying to punch above their financial weight, and we seem to have become quite adept at keeping our cards close to our chest - for all we know, we could have two or three signings more or less ready to go.

Will be nice for some national media to ask some proper questions of Rodgers in the first press conference this week.

• Like 1