Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Blackburn Rovers pre-season match thread

Guest Markyblue
14 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He's spent over 70 mil on players, none of them proper wingers, which is what this squad has so evidently needed since before he stepped through the door. No sympathy from me.

So hes probably 60 million in credit on ins and outs, second highest finish in our premiership history,  European football next year, maybe he doesn't give one about your sympathy. 

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

So hes probably 60 million in credit on ins and outs, second highest finish in our premiership history,  European football next year, maybe he doesn't give one about your sympathy. 

Fair enough, cant fault what the team's achieved so far, end of season aside. If we have a poor start to next season he cant complain about not having options up front though.

37 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Great to see some confidence boosting draws against very mediocre Championship sides. Just the prep to get the fans excited.

Players clearly playing to a plan, with attacking creativity, energy, and fluidity. 

Youngsters benefiting from Rodgers famous coaching all improving, Barnes and Grey outstanding.

Defensive problems resolved, and looking really solid at the back.

New winger Al Brighton a dazzling buy.

After all pre-season friendlies mean **** all (as does winning 4 out of the last 17 league games)

The teams we’ve fielded are absolutely miles away from what we’ll be starting the season with. 

It isn’t inspired at face value but let’s not write our season off when we’ve played pretty much every U23 player at some point in these friendlies. 

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Fair enough, cant fault what the team's achieved so far, end of season aside. If we have a poor start to next season he cant complain about not having options up front though.

I'm certain he wants more quality, the problem is we are fishing in the same waters as much richer bigger teams, its catch 22 we will struggle to attract the ready made article so have to develop more promising youngsters and then lose them , the merry go round continues. 

I for one am shocked that we didn’t play very well when missing multiple international quality players and replacing them with youth products that will likely hardly/never play for the first team, and probably wouldn’t get in that Blackburn side. Unfathomable. 

Panic after West Brom if we get turned over there, not now.

What I will say is that Thomas had a bit of a shocker and doesn’t look ready at the moment - a loan out could potentially be best for him after all. But this was only one game. 

Just now, Markyblue said:

I'm certain he wants more quality, the problem is we are fishing in the same waters as much richer bigger teams, its catch 22 we will struggle to attract the ready made article so have to develop more promising youngsters and then lose them , the merry go round continues. 

There's plenty of quality wingers on the market that havent been bought yet, and there were plenty last year as well that we could have snatched up. 30 mil last year could have got us sarr or st maximin or countless others, 30 mil this year could get us thomas lemar. I just dont think rodgers or congerton are good at evaluating the players that we need to be buying. For the record i dont think a club of our stature should be buying the finished article unless it comes cheap, the finished players that are available to us arent good enough.

6 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Without Ricardo, we don't seem to have anyone who can drive forward with the ball and create space for others and commit defenders. Even the players with potential to do that such as Barnes are either off form or playing it safe and laying the ball off. We're so easy to play against.

We were on a bad run when Ricardo wasn’t injured

10 minutes ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

I know it’s preseason, I know you can’t place any importance on it, but I’m tired of this dull possession mentality, and it’s clearly throughout the entire squad. It’s like they’re too frightened to play a forward pass that might not produce, and prefer to turn and pass it backwards. This was against Blackburn Rovers! I know we have to evolve, and it’s patient football, I know I should be grateful for

what we’re getting but I'm sorry, it’s just very dull, and it has been since Christmas.   I fear this season might not go so well. Hope I’m wrong. 

Rogers new Tactic board

pong gifs Page 2 | WiffleGif

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

The teams we’ve fielded are absolutely miles away from what we’ll be starting the season with. 

It isn’t inspired at face value but let’s not write our season off when we’ve played pretty much every U23 player at some point in these friendlies. 

What worries me though is the number of first team players who have barely played in pre-season when the season starts next  weekend. 

Ricardo is obviously still injured. But is Maddison? Still? Perez has barely featured. It’s just all a bit odd. 

• Like 2

Just now, leicesterseddon said:

What worries me though is the number of first team players who have barely played in pre-season when the season starts next  weekend. 

Ricardo is obviously still injured. But is Maddison? Still? Perez has barely featured. It’s just all a bit odd. 

Agreed but plenty will have played international football (hopefully they get some minutes). 

9 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Totally agree. Bizarre that Perez only came on with 20 minutes left today having not played in either of the other matches.

5 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

What's odd is the times we live in. Sure the club is working overtime along with our medical/performance staff trying to find the right way to get the most out of our squad without destroying it. Would imagine most clubs going through the same process. Sadly gives the wealthiest clubs with the largest squads the upper hand.

8 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Where was Benkovic? (Apologies, I’ve been out all afternoon )

Maybe they're making sure he's fit for next week? Evans is suspended, Soyuncu won't be back until Wednesday(?), don't know about Morgan. We need to ensure one centre back is ready.

Evans needless sending off is hurting.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Maybe they're making sure he's fit for next week? Evans is suspended, Soyuncu won't be back until Wednesday(?), don't know about Morgan. We need to ensure one centre back is ready.

Or was NDiddi auditioning for a CB role next week. He played very well at CB, He just oozes class.