Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Blackburn Rovers pre-season match thread

18 minutes ago, Corky said:

Maybe they're making sure he's fit for next week? Evans is suspended, Soyuncu won't be back until Wednesday(?), don't know about Morgan. We need to ensure one centre back is ready.

Evans needless sending off is hurting.

Sky Sports News were reporting yesterday Evans wasn't playing for NI because of 'personal issues/reasons' (Can't remember whether the wording was issues or reasons).

So not sure if that'll impact on us after the games he's suspended for - Hopefully not for his and our sakes.

But we could and should do something about that area for squad depth like the rest of the positions...perhaps a couple of years ago..meh..

Edited by Matt

I actually think very highly of Harvey Barnes. He really livened up the game on the left. But the more I see him, the more I think he's becoming a Gray 2.0. Just speed is simply not enough in modern football. His technical skills and overview are unfortunately very limited. In duels he is almost always a loser, just like Gray. This has nothing to do with his age. Hopefully I'm not right and he's playing a great new season. 

1 minute ago, mucfox said:

I actually think very highly of Harvey Barnes. He really livened up the game on the left. But the more I see him, the more I think he's becoming a Gray 2.0. Just speed is simply not enough in modern football. His technical skills and overview are unfortunately very limited. In duels he is almost always a loser, just like Gray. This has nothing to do with his age. Hopefully I'm not right and he's playing a great new season. 

I agree. His approach is kick and run and in the premier league you need to be better than that. We need more craft. He started off so well last year and with each passing week is gradually going backwards. We all want him to do well and there is a good player in there. His goals and assists were actually good last year but he could have had so much more.... like Gray they both lack that composure and killer instinct to push themselves to that next level.

25 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Or was NDiddi auditioning for a CB role next week. He played very well at CB, He just oozes class.

He played there early in his career so he could perform that role. Of course it's a bit of a desperation option to do it, but times are already a bit desperate given the injuries and suspensions we have.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

I agree. His approach is kick and run and in the premier league you need to be better than that. We need more craft. He started off so well last year and with each passing week is gradually going backwards. We all want him to do well and there is a good player in there. His goals and assists were actually good last year but he could have had so much more.... like Gray they both lack that composure and killer instinct to push themselves to that next level.

When has barnes ever done kick and run? He runs with the ball at his feet, thats how elite wingers do it, not with pointless tricks like zaha which achieve nothing. Messi doesnt need tricks, neymar cuts out the tricks as soon as he's put against proper opposition, theyre useless in the modern game apart from entertaining the crowd. The way barnes plays is the right way to do things he just needs to get involved more.

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He played there early in his career so he could perform that role. Of course it's a bit of a desperation option to do it, but times are already a bit desperate given the injuries and suspensions we have.

It would make for an interesting midfield selection if Wilf plays CB. I'd play Knight ( who I thought had a good game today ) in there between Praet and Tielemans. With Choudhry in reserve, who also played well today.

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

What's odd is the times we live in. Sure the club is working overtime along with our medical/performance staff trying to find the right way to get the most out of our squad without destroying it. Would imagine most clubs going through the same process. Sadly gives the wealthiest clubs with the largest squads the upper hand.

Sadly they already have the upper hand anyway.

47 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

This has to be a coaching issue. All our players regressed or got injured as the season went on.

35 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I thought our RB did well. KDH looks a decent prospect too. Otherwise, boring Pre-season game. I can’t believe Brendan is happy with one signing this summer. More on the way as the window nears closure. 

He can't be happy surely?  With each interview that goes by, I believe less and less of what he says.  

I wouldn't call it one signing either - more like one replacement.  We're still at least 4 short of what we need right now.

• Like 1