Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Blackburn Rovers pre-season match thread

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Worrying. 
Why plug a CB-shaped hole with a world class DCM?

Lets hope for a signing or two pronto 🙏

Morgan is injured, Benkovic nowhere to be seen. So do you put a world class DCM in defence as a stop gap, knowing that a) he played there for Genk and b) is brilliant and tackling and interceptions or do you put an academy player in, none of which look PL class in Darnell Johnson, Sam Hughes or Josh Knight. I can see why we'd go with Ndidi and then Mendy or Choudhury in midfield.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

More Puel ball this season it looks like. If we can’t manage to create a half decent chance against Blackburn, we are going to continue our relegation form from last season.

We move the ball too slowly. Vardy must be bored.

Rodgers is running out of ideas.

I can't believe how many people laud this style v when Puel was here, its litterally no different.

People simply hated (Yes, I used the hate word for once) Puel, me included, but how those same people can justify the style now is beyond me.

Vardy must be more than bored, try pissed off.

9 minutes ago, adam said:

Did Vardy get a kick? Need some wingers still. Think we've been saying that for about 3 seasons. 

There's a lot of bleating on about wingers but Rodgers simply doesn't use them in the more traditional sense. In fact I sometimes wonder what he is trying to achieve. No point in wingers in this system that cross the ball for example because there'll be nobody to receive it. Do we mean that what we really need are good attack minded midfielders? I'm not really sure what it is we really need in Rodgers so called philosophy and to be honest, I'm not convinced he does either.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Morgan is injured, Benkovic nowhere to be seen. So do you put a world class DCM in defence as a stop gap, knowing that a) he played there for Genk and b) is brilliant and tackling and interceptions or do you put an academy player in, none of which look PL class in Darnell Johnson, Sam Hughes or Josh Knight. I can see why we'd go with Ndidi and then Mendy or Choudhury in midfield.

We gain so much more control of the game with him in the midfield though, with him as cb we're more succeptible to attacks from the opposition team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Despite these obvious facts, some of our fans are still losing their shiit about it :facepalm:

I'm usually one of the first to take the piss out of people overreacting to friendlies but I don't think that's what's happening at all. The concern isn't that we've drawn against a couple of Championship teams, it's that we've been shit since about mid-December and have done nothing to rectify the lack of depth in the squad. The season starts in a week and we're looking at the very real prospect of starting Morgan at centre back and either Gray or Albrighton out wide. In isolation, playing poorly in friendlies doesn't matter, but when it looks like a direct continuation of our competitive form this calendar year it's a bit more relevant I think.

The positives so far this pre-season are that some of the youth players look alright and we're probably not the only ones under-prepared for the start of the season - that leaves an awful lot of room for negativity.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can't believe how many people laud this style v when Puel was here, its litterally no different.

People simply hated (Yes, I used the hate word for once) Puel, me included, but how those same people can justify the style now is beyond me.

Vardy must be more than bored, try pissed off.

Check the goals scored stats under Rodgers compared to Puel, end of discussion.

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

We gain so much more control of the game with him in the midfield though, with him as cb we're more succeptible to attacks from the opposition team.

I don't disagree but vs West Brom and Burnley we'll need to be stronger defensively than in midfield IMO, so it's probably the most viable option. Hopefully we could go and get a centre half this week but will they be ready? It would have to be someone like Tarkowski or Tomori.

I thought Hamza worked his socks off today, was all over everywhere. Ndidi great as ever, Barnes I want to shake he frustrates me so much, Thomas needs a loan- thought he was poor today and I'm glad he isn't our Chilly replacement. Gray and Albrighton did alright and nice to see Amertey back. KDH was great too. I thought Madders was going to be back for the start of the new season? I'm glad they are not rushing him but is his recovery delayed? 

Defence was very shaky but thankfully that isn't our defence moving forward! 

Edited by Hales

Has anyone seen Harvey Barnes since March? The pandemic seems to have mucked him about, he's absolutely nowhere. Annoying as from January to March he was our only bright spark and was really improving. I'm sure he will regain his form but we are so weak in the wide areas and his lack of confidence and form is compounding this.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Has anyone seen Harvey Barnes since March? The pandemic seems to have mucked him about, he's absolutely nowhere. Annoying as from January to March he was our only bright spark and was really improving. I'm sure he will regain his form but we are so weak in the wide areas and his lack of confidence and form is compounding this.

I'm a big fan of these new uranium boots he's wearing that make the ball ping 50 yards away from him every time he touches it, quite the innovation

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Check the goals scored stats under Rodgers compared to Puel, end of discussion.

I'm not debating whether Rodgers has got more out of them v Puel, there is no debate regarding that, that for me is down to man management - although I do have questions regarding Rodgers' man management given the end to last season.

What I am saying is there is literally no difference in style of play that Puel got so much stick for it (And rightly so), yet Rodgers get a free pass from many people.

I'm can't see it being as 'successful' next season though.

I don't want Rodgers out - I want him to adapt, to mix it up, to stop giving himself excuses, he's showing very little do change any of those thing.

(Nor do see any point in getting rid because it seems to me the insistance of this style is coming from someone within the club so the next manager would be instructed or be viewed to play this way, the mentality within the whole club needs to change for me)

Edited by Matt

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Is that at the start of the season or after mid December when Rodgers started pissing around with a winning formula for different formations or playing different players out of position?

Our problems run deeper than the style of play. Our style of play when we have a fully fit squad and confident is breathtaking but the last half of the season was very worrying. I cannot for the life of me understand why we haven't been more aggressive in the January and summer transfer windows. We cannot go in to this season as we are, i challenge any manager to get more out of this current squad.

Something has gone very wrong in the squad.

Very pedestrian playmaking with even the younger ones bereft of confidence. The number of times attacking positions are turned into defensive positions to recycle the ball is astonishing. There's also very little movement from players resulting in constant backward passes. It happened throughout the latter part of last season and again in this pre-season matches. It seems as though there are clear instructions to retain the ball at all costs, meaning creativity is stifled and attacking options limited. As a result the attacking players are lacking confidence, unsure of what to do when they get the ball. That lack of confidence is most clear watching Harvey Barnes who takes it upon himself to make something, anything, happen, but often results in nothing creating an even deeper confidence sapping spiral.