Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Blackburn Rovers pre-season match thread

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We won't miss Ben Chilwell, I wish him all the best but there's a reason we didn't play hardball over him staying. He's way overhyped and we have enough between Thomas and Justin or Castagne to be no weaker in that area than last season. It is the least of our worries, our central defence and wide options are the biggest concern, I'm scared for next season if we don't get 2-3 new players in.

I agree he is replaceable, it was more about the Thomas is already better than him part. I have no issues with our full strength 11, and no idea when we will be able to field that team, but we 100% need a better squad and need 3-4 new signings 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

The hype of Thomas was more a reflection of the strange hatred of Chilwell in our fanbase. Everyone was willing to overlook how poor he was against Spurs for instance, just because it wasnt Chilwell. 

The lad did great against Sheffield United, but he'd struggle to get a loan to a Championship side atm, its ludicrous to tout him as Chilwells instant replacement. Chilwell who will probably have a pretty good season in a title race and the champions league.

He should get a loan, he's got loads of potential but he's not ready for a top 6 premier league side yet. 

4 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

The hype of Thomas was more a reflection of the strange hatred of Chilwell in our fanbase. Everyone was willing to overlook how poor he was against Spurs for instance, just because it wasnt Chilwell. 

The lad did great against Sheffield United, but he'd struggle to get a loan to a Championship side atm, its ludicrous to tout him as Chilwells instant replacement. Chilwell who will probably have a pretty good season in a title race and the champions league.

See these comments are equally as bad as mine claiming he's already better than Chilwell.. " he would struggle to get a loan to the Championship " is unbelievable guff. 

• Like 1

The most frustrating thing is that we're cocking up the second attempt to solidify our position inside the media's "Big 6".

It should be our turn to go out and make a statement in the pre-season and transfer window.

I know we can't expect a Chelsea situation where they've gone out and bought 250m worth of world class players but it feels like we're going to just pass up the opportunity to improve.

I fully appreciate that we're spending a lot of money on the training ground and probably putting a lot away to pay for the stadium expansion but we can't rely on the buy low sell high strategy. I can't help but we're doing exactly what Southampton did.

I think KDH will feel a bit like a new signing as a midfielder coming off the bench and it remains to be seen what happens with Castagne and where he plays (I can't see how he plays left back in a 4-3-3). I just feel like we need some sort of new spark in the attack. A signing like Maddison was.

I think Benrahma for the money Brentford are asking offers a new dynamic to our attack with his flair. I think the club is in a right rut at the moment and I can't see us starting the season well without Evans, Ricardo and Maddison who are three of our most influential players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great to see some confidence boosting draws against very mediocre Championship sides. Just the prep to get the fans excited.

Players clearly playing to a plan, with attacking creativity, energy, and fluidity. 

Youngsters benefiting from Rodgers famous coaching all improving, Barnes and Grey outstanding.

Defensive problems resolved, and looking really solid at the back.

New winger Al Brighton a dazzling buy.

After all pre-season friendlies mean **** all (as does winning 4 out of the last 17 league games)

Edited by FoxFossil

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We'll see, but that's the target. 

I agree that should be the aim, but we’re so short in numbers and the likes of spurs/Arsenal and maybe even Everton will be up there. Just think we will struggle. If Vardy gets a serious injury I think we will really struggle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adster said:

Will you all just fvck off with your negativity? 

Spurs currently 2-0 down to championship Watford

Liverpool currently 2-1 down to Blackpool

Friendlies mean **** all.

The results of friendlies mean **** all, you're right.

But performances do somewhat matter considering we start the season in 8 days and none of us have a clue who will start. There is a genuine case for about 20 players to start the game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adster said:

I think most are looking beyond the pre season performances and looking at our thread bare squad accompanied with our awful second half of last season and our lack of quality incomings.... all things combined for me leads to a worrying start to this season 

Edited by dbtcity
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our problems run deeper than the style of play. Our style of play when we have a fully fit squad and confident is breathtaking but the last half of the season was very worrying. I cannot for the life of me understand why we haven't been more aggressive in the January and summer transfer windows. We cannot go in to this season as we are, i challenge any manager to get more out of this current squad.

I do think you're right but we're never going to know who exactly the club have been in for and for whatever reason can't get, or, what amount of money even that they're willing to throw at it.

I don't think that the start to last season was all down to good luck or the second half bad luck. Neither do I think the latter half was all down to injuries or confidence, albeit both played their part. There were a lot of poor managerial decisions in there for me. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adster said:

I don't think its about friendlies, it's certainly not as far as i'm concerned.

It's the lack of preparation going into next season, now I know someone's going to come back at me saying other clubs aren't doing much either - Great, I don't care about other clubs, I don't look deep into what they need to do, but I know we need to do alot - as i've said I don't know what other clubs need but i'd say we need more than most given our squad is poor as it is and that has been seen since January, our 11 is fine (Although we keep selling them and we're only going to successfully replace/get lucky replacing them for so long) but our squad has got to be ranking towards the lower half of the league, with Europe added we need a squad more than ever.

I'd be willing to give the style the benefit of the doubt, perhaps Rodgers (and Puel before him) hasn't got the players/squad here to see this free flowing, forwards, possession football he wants to play, i'm yet to see any sign of it but if that's the case why aren't we being more pro active about the situation - we're certainly seeing very little point towards things changing.

I don't think it's negativity for negativity sake, it's just assessing the situation which in draws fear, frustration, and ultimately negativity, I for one don't want to be hearing the many ready made excuses that are there to be seen.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

We look a long way off a top 6 premier league side atm and I just hope that Rodgers is backed in the transfer market to freshen things up on the wings and at centre back. Might be too much to expect another striker. Blackburn were the better team today in the second half. Don't think Thomas needs to go on loan I think he has great potential and he will cut out the errors but we need cover.I'm a bit worried about overall confidence and a potential hangover from the end of last season.

54 minutes ago, Sampson said:

You're not. He wasn't great. Think people are a bit disillusioned and just trying to desperately scrap around for a new player who can inject something into the team. Dewsbury-Hall clearly isn't that player though.

We need Tielemans and Maddison to really perform to their best a lot more consistently this season as we're going to be so reliant on them with our lack of wide options.

Despite not at his best he still looked our best midfielder today, ahead of Mendy and Hamza. 

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

Say what you like about Stringer, but it’s a shame he’s not there to ask some more pressing questions to Rodgers 

I appreciate it's nice to listen to the manager respond to difficult questions but if Brendan is letting Ian Stringer decide what's what then we are absolutely ****ed.

Just now, AKCJ said:

I appreciate it's nice to listen to the manager respond to difficult questions but if Brendan is letting Ian Stringer decide what's what then we are absolutely ****ed.

Haha yeah of course, I’d just like someone to ask him if he’s happy with squad depth and get more of an answer on potential signings.

A club mouthpiece won’t do that.

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

Haha yeah of course, I’d just like someone to ask him if he’s happy with squad depth and get more of an answer on potential signings.

A club mouthpiece won’t do that.

He's spent over 70 mil on players, none of them proper wingers, which is what this squad has so evidently needed since before he stepped through the door. No sympathy from me.

• Like 1