Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Harvey Barnes

1 hour ago, Mawuli said:

Did I see someone say Grealish Chipped the best keeper in the world, it was freaking Adrian not Castillas😭

That was me, sorry was Allison not playing? I stand by the point though, it was a cute, cheeky finish that Barnes wouldn't have attempted in a hundred years. 

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That was me, sorry was Allison not playing? I stand by the point though, it was a cute, cheeky finish that Barnes wouldn't have attempted in a hundred years. 

Yes grealish does have the finishing which Barnes does not. However,when Barnes sorts his finishing out I see him going places grealish can't.

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Sterling is certainly a much more creative player than barnes, he has 50 assists in 230 appearances, i would be surprised if barnes ever gets those numbers. Theyre both goalscoring wingers, not good at playing wide and making crosses or playmaking like mahrez but good at making runs into the box trying to get a goal or to layoff a teammates, but sterling is just a better player in every aspect, even in the shooting department.

Although only over a 59 game sample set at PL level than the 200+ games that Sterling has played there, they have very similar assists to games ratio. I stand corrected on Sterling, in recent seasons he's been a winger that seems to be attacking the penalty box at all times, rather than dictating play and providing for his teammates. However, prior to 2018/19 he was getting 10-15 assists a season so its probably more the role he is now asked to play. There's so much ammunition at Man City that they don't need him to be the provider.

1 hour ago, Mawuli said:

Yes grealish does have the finishing which Barnes does not. However,when Barnes sorts his finishing out I see him going places grealish can't.

That's exactly my point though, you say "when." It's not when, it's if. 

I absolutely hope he does, completely, he'll be phenomenal if he starts putting a decent chunk of the chances he gets away. 

But some people just aren't great finishers and never are. Not everyone can be a world class footballer. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I absolutely hope he does, completely, he'll be phenomenal if he starts putting a decent chunk of the chances he gets away. 

But some people just aren't great finishers and never are. Not everyone can be a world class footballer. 

Nah but it's not like finishing doesn't improve. Look at Vardy for example.

I would say of all the different skills in football finishing is the one that gets better easiest. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So true, I've always thought with Barnes that he has the ability to finish in terms of striking a ball... its just his first touch that doesn't let him to do it that often which makes his finishing look dogshit.

7 hours ago, Gwyn said:

Yes but I have a huge suspicion that he will not be featured in that squad either, my point was/is What can you learn and improve on with a 15 min cameo and watching the rest from an empty stand, I bet Brendans coaching sessions are way more tactical and challenging than Gareth.

If he's not going to be used send him and the other 5 home to their respective teams.

FREE THE 6

Ummm ... I reckon Barnes would rather be around the England set up, see how other players train and learn from them, etc, than to go home for a few additional sessions from Rodgers which he has been taking and will take for the rest of the year. It may be better for us too that he may find some inspiration or tricks to shoot better.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

So true, I've always thought with Barnes that he has the ability to finish in terms of striking a ball... its just his first touch that doesn't let him to do it that often which makes his finishing look dogshit.

Nail on the head, its his first touch that I'm more concerned about. He has shown he is a finisher in the Championship and lower levels, but I think with the lack of time and space in the PL its that first touch that often puts him under pressure when he shoots. Probably go hand in hand but his improvement in the way he carries the ball is a huge start in him becoming a top PL player.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Although only over a 59 game sample set at PL level than the 200+ games that Sterling has played there, they have very similar assists to games ratio. I stand corrected on Sterling, in recent seasons he's been a winger that seems to be attacking the penalty box at all times, rather than dictating play and providing for his teammates. However, prior to 2018/19 he was getting 10-15 assists a season so its probably more the role he is now asked to play. There's so much ammunition at Man City that they don't need him to be the provider.

Sterling's playing the same way he always has it's just that gabriel jesus is dogshit at finishing, if aguero was fit the whole of last season sterling would have gotten 8+ assists. He does attack the penalty box but a lot of the time he pulls it back for an assist, just like barnes does for us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Barnes scored some absolute crackers on loan at West Brom.  Enough to make it more than a coincidence. he’s got it in him but I think his problem is psychological... he’s just so desperate to do well, you can see that in his style, that he’s snatching at chances now... if he can get over that barrier in the prem he can as you say be top class.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MPH said:

Barnes scored some absolute crackers on loan at West Brom.  Enough to make it more than a coincidence. he’s got it in him but I think his problem is psychological... he’s just so desperate to do well, you can see that in his style, that he’s snatching at chances now... if he can get over that barrier in the prem he can as you say be top class.

From range, yes. 

Finishing up close when it's largely just you and the keeper is a different skill, or maybe skill is the wrong word. I don't doubt at all Harvey Barnes could hit a ball in to the corner of an empty net in training with nobody around. 

He's obviously quite a gifted footballer technically. 

But what seems to be quite a significant barrier for himself is calming his mind to actually pick that spot in a match situation. Every shot seems to just be close your eyes and hope for the best. I don't doubt it's in his head and I don't doubt it's something he CAN improve. 

But it still doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Something being psychological doesn't guarantee it can be fixed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

From range, yes. 

Finishing up close when it's largely just you and the keeper is a different skill, or maybe skill is the wrong word. I don't doubt at all Harvey Barnes could hit a ball in to the corner of an empty net in training with nobody around. 

But what seems to be quite a significant barrier for himself is calming his mind to actually pick that spot in a match situation. Every shot seems to just be close your eyes and hope for the best. I don't doubt it's in his head and I don't doubt it's something he CAN improve. 

But it still doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Something being psychological doesn't guarantee it can be fixed. 

What baffles me is I cannot remember a single long range shot he's attempted at Leicester? I know he has been encouraged to get in to the box more where it is " easier " to score from but I'd still have thought he'd have a few long range shots when the chance presents itself. He scored several at Barnsley and West Brom.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

What baffles me is I cannot remember a single long range shot he's attempted at Leicester? I know he has been encouraged to get in to the box more where it is " easier " to score from but I'd still have thought he'd have a few long range shots when the chance presents itself. He scored several at Barnsley and West Brom.

Yeah he's had one or two half hearted pings but you're right on that, it has surprised me. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mawuli said:

Barnes has had a long time to sort his finishing and final 3rd decision making out. Make or break season for him. 

On 13/10/2020 at 17:45, Ric Flair said:

Sheffield Utd away, imo our goal of the season, was quite long range iirc

49 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Sheffield Utd away, imo our goal of the season, was quite long range iirc

Still edge of the box, I mean picking the ball up 35 yards out and getting it on his right foot and curling one top corner, seen precious little attempt.

On 13/10/2020 at 08:42, Finnegan said:

From range, yes. 

Agree on this part.

The frustration with Demarai Gray in the past/still would perhaps relate well with this aspect.

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Agree on this part.

The frustration with Demarai Gray in the past/still would perhaps relate well with this aspect.

Neuro plasticity means that at any age we can change the way we think.  I blogged this month on mindfulness research for sportsmen and women.. to set aside thoughts of the past (esp mistakes earlier in a game) and of the significance of the game... so that they can focus on the current task... tackle... challenge... pass  or... shot. Research shows such sports men get in to their game quicker and make fewer decision errors.