Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Harvey Barnes

He's playing well. But he could be even more lethal if he sees the pass a bit earlier. He drives into space and draws defenders to him all the time. But he then doesn't release that killer through ball. Happened a few times yesterday. But if that penny drops - boy will his assist figures rocket. I think the sky's the limit for Harvey. He could and should be a 10 goal / 10 assist player in the near future

2 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

Also if Under is as good on the right as we hope then Harvey will find he's getting less attention from the opposition and will benefit even further

Barnes provides so many low crosses to be attacked at the far post which is what I'm hoping Ünder can be the main beneficiary from. 

• Like 3

You can start to see fullbacks becoming afraid of him, and he's beginning to influence games more and more. He has been our main outlet so far, and you really feel something is going to happen every time he gets the ball. Haven't had that since Mahrez. 

As soon as he got himself into that space between their Mendy and Garcia, they couldn't handle him.

If he continues to develop his decision making he'll be incredible. He keeps getting into these positions and things not quite coming off but I'd rather he does this 10 times a game and 2 come off, than to shy away from it completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Barnes needs to work on his off the ball game. His finishing needs improvement too but both of those should come with experience. He has all the ingredients to be an incredible player.

With the ball at his feet he an exciting player, not scared to try the odd flick or trick and does it at the right time the majoirty of the time instead of just for the sake of it. 

If his off the ball running and movement improves he'll be up there with the best English wingers available. 

• Like 1

Not sure who was thecommentator for the English TV but over in Australia we had (I think the guy who did the 96 palace playoff final) and he kept saying how well Barnes has been doing for Burnley the last 2 years and it's a credit to Sean Dyche🤣

• Haha 1

Barnes reminds me of Sterling before he moved to Man City, or even his first couple of seasons there. Gets in good positions but his finishing/ composure often lets him down. Still does now tbf although he has improved quite a bit in that regard. 

If he can continue to progress and work on his finishing, I see no reason why he can’t get to 10 goals and assists levels per season. And then we’ll have some player on our hands, and the fact he’s an academy graduate makes it even sweeter, hope he stays for many more years. :englandsmile4wf:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Barnes has all the ingredients and platform to go on to be our best academy product since Heskey. Would love him to stay here the majority of his career, massive season ahead for him and hopefully the Euro's.

I just don't see how he gets into the squad with Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Grealish. Especially with how Southgate picks players. He's going to need an absolutely huge season to sneak into the squad 

40 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I just don't see how he gets into the squad with Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Grealish. Especially with how Southgate picks players. He's going to need an absolutely huge season to sneak into the squad 

The only way is because he is completely different to all of them. Just got to hope his skill set is what Southgate wants, his ability to get the ball and go past players/link intricate throughballs has gone off the charts in the last year. Thats something that bar Grealish there's a lack of on the left. Rushford isn't really creative, he's just a forward good at cutting in from the left and Sterling isn't as strong at the creative side as Barnes or Grealish IMO but he is a very good player for England and would be tough to displace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Barnes has all the ingredients and platform to go on to be our best academy product since Heskey. Would love him to stay here the majority of his career, massive season ahead for him and hopefully the Euro's.

Someone's forgetting Richard Stearman then...

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Inevitable that the BBC diddn't even mention Barnes in this article about fresh faces giving Southgate a headache:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54472846

:nono:

Why?

He played like 15 minutes and barely touched the ball.

What people have said above is right. He's only in the team because the squad is bigger than usual and other players are out.

He's still clearly behind Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Grealish in the pecking order and if the likes of Abraham, Calvert-Lewin or Ings show they can be effective on the wing too he'll be behind them.

Maybe in a couple of years he'll be banging on the door. Maybe even if he has an amazing season this season.

But he's done nowhere near enough to dislodge the likes of Sterling, Sancho or Rashford yet. He has to improve his finishing, first touch and be more consistent and stop the lengthy streaks of poor form he's prone to before he starts giving England a selection headache.

• Like 1

I wish I saw in him what everyone else does.

Don't get me wrong,  he creates a lot of opportunities for himself but its a rarity for him to ever actually score at the end of it.

Seems to be hyped up as a Messi on here. Very bandwagon esque.

*Disclaimer*

Its just my opinion :beer:

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The only way is because he is completely different to all of them. Just got to hope his skill set is what Southgate wants, his ability to get the ball and go past players/link intricate throughballs has gone off the charts in the last year. Thats something that bar Grealish there's a lack of on the left. Rushford isn't really creative, he's just a forward good at cutting in from the left and Sterling isn't as strong at the creative side as Barnes or Grealish IMO but he is a very good player for England and would be tough to displace.

I agree with your points on him being a different type of player,  a more creative one than Sterling etc. I still just don't see him getting a frequent squad place anytime soon.