Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

MOTD Thread 2020/21

10 hours ago, Corky said:

These pundits are desperate for the status quo, aren't they? Any player who looks half-decent should immediately move to another club. Heaven forbid other clubs show some ambition- no, it's all about the top 6 (which we were part of last season).

They even said we were a top 5 team in the commentary, so why does he need to leave?

19 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Isnt he just saying what many of us would say?

Barnes is great til he passes it to the keeper but if/when he fixes that the big boys will come fishing.

But unlike Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell he comes from a Leicester family and has grown up a fan, that and his personality suggests he wouldn't just up and leave like they did.

• Like 1

Didn't Jenas grow up a Tree supporter? 

He's been bitter about Leicester ever since we got back into the Premier League, even more so after Tottenham's collapse when we won it. 

It's nothing new pundits trying to sell players on behalf of clubs to the "big six", Sky's lot do it constantly. It's almost as if they want to see these clubs do well or something in order to bolster their viewing figures.

Edited by RoboFox

Guest Markyblue
8 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Didn't Jenas grow up a Tree supporter? 

He's been bitter about Leicester ever since we got back into the Premier League, even more so after Tottenham's collapse when we won it. 

It's nothing new pundits trying to sell players on behalf of clubs to the "big six", Sky's lot do it constantly. It's almost as if they want to see these clubs do well or something in order to bolster their viewing figures.

I'm sure i read that he predicted that we would get relegated the year we won it, nuff said.

Good pundits ,lazy pundits,numerous pundits, incompetent pundits alike....

Mean totally nothing to me,other than being part of the outside information/discussion media....

Just Part of that outside entertainment....I cant like or dislike a pundits because he says things I like or dont

Like to hear ....Too much wasted thoughts on totally immaterial debates....

The last few years,the Football debate and panels have Left me cold....

I do like Souness, the older skys gillette super saturday panel & MoTD with lineker,Shearer & Wright..I dont have to agree with them,I just have to like their presented arguments or thoughts...

12 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I can understand that.

But Manchester City and Spurs are both recent entries into the so-called 'big 6', aren't they? Once you accept that you have to agree it's subject to flux. I mean, of course it is. Teams generally will improve or get worse over time. There exists scope for teams and fanbases to grow. So why the need to focus in on a certain group of teams, seemingly in an actual effort to establish this group?

Players in the 90s and 00s when the likes of Jenas were around wouldn't have been pining for moves to Manchester City. And if Jenas was ever more than a bang average midfielder he'd have wanted away from Spurs, too. 

We've never seen the media try to force the narrative of an elite group of teams quite like this before and it does grate. In the days that the league was won by one of Chelsea, United or Arsenal every year I could've accepted discussion surrounding an elite group of title challenging teams.

But now there is this apparent fascination with this relatively arbitrary group of 6 clubs who can, have recently, and will again fall out of the top 6. 

Why the incessant need to big up 6 teams and neglect all others? Why shouldn't Leicester, Everton, Wolves, Southampton or whoever has the gall to try to improve continue to do so?

I'm not suggesting any of those teams will achieve the fame or status as a Real Madrid, Manchester United or Bayern Munich, but that doesn't mean they should apologise for trying to finish as high as they can and hold on to some of their better players in the process.

Sure, if you end up producing a Bale he'll move to a team like Madrid, and rightly so. But you can fvck off pushing this narrative that players like Barnes should move to the likes of Spurs the moment they find some form.

Did he mention the top 6? I would imagine his comments were in relation to Man U/City, Liverpool and Chelsea. 

No one is asking us to apologise for trying to 'join the club', but if you admit we're trying to join it, you are admitting we're currently outside it.

As for what 'the club' is, 'top 6' isn't an arbitrary construct. There's a big drop off in financial 'clout' after Spurs, and a dearth of top 6 finishes for anyone outside that group.

Edited by turtmcfly

7 hours ago, Blue and white said:

But unlike Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell he comes from a Leicester family and has grown up a fan, that and his personality suggests he wouldn't just up and leave like they did.

of course he will..he may do it with less sulking than Mahrez but unless City make top 4 a consistent achievement, which is unlikely, then when the money and opportunity is offered he will almost certainly take it. If it comes to that though, he will have improved his game and we will most likely have had a couple of years of real quality from him. He's got it in him to be that player

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Jenas himself took a step down from Newcastle (where he'd played in the Champions League and UEFA Cup and finished in the top four twice) to join mid-table Tottenham who hadn't been anywhere near Europe for years.

He was trying to find his level.

He wasnt much commented on as a player 

5 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Did he mention the top 6? I would imagine his comments were in relation to Man U/City, Liverpool and Chelsea. 

It's always big 6. 

No one is asking us to apologise for trying to 'join the club', but if you admit we're trying to join it, you are admitting we're currently outside it.

Where did I say we're trying to join anything? All I said was we are trying to improve every year and finish as high as we can. 

As for what 'the club' is, 'top 6' isn't an arbitrary construct. There's a big drop off in financial 'clout' after Spurs, and a dearth of top 6 finishes for anyone outside that group.

I did say 'relatively' abitrary, in my defence. And anyway, for argument's sake if Leicester won the League for the next 5 seasons they would just rename it the big 7. It's not really as much to do with Europe. You can qualify for Europe coming 7th can't you?

23 hours ago, Rain King said:

Jenas already bigging Barnes to move to Man City or Chelsea as soon as he sorts his finishing out.

Jermaine 'look, don't get me wrong' Jenas :giggle:

OK, you can refer to 'Argyle' or 'Villa' because they are unique names but he's already at 'City'.

If he wants to push him to Cardiff, Bradford or Swansea I reckon he'd need to take a drop in wages.

• Like 4

On 13/09/2020 at 22:54, Durnerz said:

Micah Richards can barely string a sentence together. 

If i was being cynical i would say he wasnt there because of his punditry skills....

Then again, neither is Danny Mills or Jermaine Jenas or any other number of them.

TBH the only reason i watch match of the day is to get annoyed with the idiots they dig up to go on there.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

That is an admirably honest statement.

Its like a sport in my house.

MOTD comes on, the mrs groans, i see what line up they have, moan about them during the first match, then disagree with everything they say, unless they big up Leicester, then i just moan at them for not knowing about us before we were good.

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's definitely gotten worse in recent years. Sky in particular are appalling.

I've been thinking about this recently, and it's absolutely true. Not only is it true, it's reinforcing my disengagement with the sport. On MOTD itself, I've genuinely not watched any of the punditry for years now. I remember watching it incessantly when we first got back to the PL, but dropped off a cliff. I am genuinely surprised people still put themselves through the torture of mediocre punditry.

Sky/BT is pretty much the same. I can only assume it's a strategic decision to just drop all pretence and now go all-in on championing the big teams? From putting biased club men on co-comms, letting Tyler become more opinionated than ever and dreadful (also having Darren Fletcher as your lead commentator, BT, seriously?) Tabloid pundits they can snip clips from for the internet views.

I'm still deep into football podcasts, so many of them, but there's not an ex-player in sight and I actually learn something. If I actually decide to watch a match in full these days, it really is tune in at a couple of mins before, disengage during HT and then tune out at FT. Watch the 3-minute clips on Sky's YouTube channel for the games and (other than being exposed to it on Twitter through my own idiocy) you can very easily keep yourself away from the crap served up now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cujek said:

If i was being cynical i would say he wasnt there because of his punditry skills....

Then again, neither is Danny Mills or Jermaine Jenas or any other number of them.

TBH the only reason i watch match of the day is to get annoyed with the idiots they dig up to go on there.

Agree fully. It's such a shame as there are many talented ex-pro's or even reporters like Tim Vickery with an eye for the game who would be far better.

Sad times when it comes to the state of punditry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cujek said:

Its like a sport in my house.

MOTD comes on, the mrs groans, i see what line up they have, moan about them during the first match, then disagree with everything they say, unless they big up Leicester, then i just moan at them for not knowing about us before we were good.

Jesus fella..!!

it seems a high percent on foxestalk today, have that exact same problem...😈