Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Or maybe just maybe the reports regarding appearances leading to him being signed permanently are to be believed and BR wants to get a good look at him over the course of the season. Hence limited minutes.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-cengiz-under-summer-transfer-4902249?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

Depends who you believe, as it has also been reported that this appearance clause doesn’t exist

https://theathletic.com/2351148/2021/01/28/no-clauses-in-under-contract-gives-leicester-time-to-experiment/?source=user_shared_article

• Thanks 1

The Mercury couldn't even by arsed to research his correct number of  appearances, goals and assists this season. 

"The winger has appeared just eight times in all competitions and his only contribution to date has been two assists, one each in the FA Cup and Europa League."
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Perez has 2 goals and no assists in his last 24 appearances in all competitions. For a team that is competing at the top of the PL that is terrible. I think that is the reason why people are asking to see a bit more of Cengo.

This is not like saying back in 15/16 why aren't we playing Inler instead of Kanté, as someone was saying earlier in the thread. Everyone could see that Kanté was amazing and arguably our best player. Nobody thinks that of Perez and whilst I love Sharky he has his limitations and most people accept that right wing is probably the weakest link of our team. 

So it is in that context that people are wondering whether Cengo could add some quality. His fleeting appearances have shown him to be fast and skillful and he has 2 goals and 2 assists in very limited play time - in fact, if you extrapolated those stats over a season per minute you'd be talking 10 goals and 10 assists. That is precisely what we need on the right wing.

Personally I'm fed up of watching Perez trot around aimlessly and largely ineffectually on the right wing, on the pretence that he is "good at defending". We need more than that if we are to sustain our current success.

All of this is not to criticise Brendan. He knows the players inside and out and sees them every day in training so must have his reasons for leaving out Cengo. But I, for one, really want to see if he can be the right winger that we all crave as a foil for Barnes and Vardy.

We actually have zero goals from right wing this season in the league, yet we were supposed to strengthen that weakness from last season. We have a player who would give us goals if he was afforded the same amount of chances Albrighton and Perez get.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why are people looking for conspiracies? Maybe the coaching team who spend all their time with him, recognise that he does not have the defensive discipline to become an integral part of this team. Watching cameo’s ain’t great I admit, but if he shows too little during training, then that is not likely to change.

Far better to blame the Illuminati than stare right at the obvious answer lol

Would make perfect sense 

except Perez gets dribbled past the most of all 3 on average.

Perez averages

1.5 tackles a game.

0.5 interception.

Dribbled past

Albrighton

1.1 tackle per game

0.6 interception.

Dribbled past

Under in the league (1 start 7 sub appearances)

0.6 tackle per game 

0.4 interception.

dribbled past

but europa league (5 starts 1 sub appearance)

1.2 tackles per game

0.4 interceptions 

dribbled past 

What is the definition of defensive discipline, it’s not like those number are beyond his reach.

unless it’s a case of not tracking back. Which I don’t follow him closely enough to know.

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We actually have zero goals from right wing this season in the league, yet we were supposed to strengthen that weakness from last season. We have a player who would give us goals if he was afforded the same amount of chances Albrighton and Perez get.

Sorry, that is no way a certainty, and if offering this chance depletes our defensive capability, why the hell would we take such a chance?  :dunno:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

We're currently 3rd in the league and in two cups, the team as whole is doing very well, so I'm not chomping at the bit for any fringe players to play more.

Also as previously pointed out, if we're that weak on that wing, and the management team still don't fancy him, as Rodgers has suggested, maybe we're getting over excited over nothing. 

This argument that we're doing very well and don't need to change things is incorrect.  Premier clubs constantly review where they can improve on particular match performances, and they need to do so.  Where their analysis shows weaknesses then they look to correct or improve on them - that's the only way to be progressive.

7 minutes ago, turlo said:

The Mercury couldn't even by arsed to research his correct number of  appearances, goals and assists this season. 

"The winger has appeared just eight times in all competitions and his only contribution to date has been two assists, one each in the FA Cup and Europa League."

I’m not his biggest fan, but didn’t he assist goals at Arsenal & Leeds too? And score twice?

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

This argument that we're doing very well and don't need to change things is incorrect.  Premier clubs constantly review where they can improve on particular match performances, and they need to do so.  Where their analysis shows weaknesses then they look to correct or improve on them - that's the only way to be progressive.

Which I'm sure we are doing, and Under still can't get a game, so you know, maybe he's not as good as you hoped.

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Would make perfect sense 

except Perez gets dribbled past the most of all 3 on average.

Perez averages 1.5 tackles a game.

0.5 interception.

Dribbled past

Albrighton 1.1 tackle per game

0.6 interception.

Dribbled past

Under in the league (1 start 7 sub appearances)

0.6 tackle per game 

0.4 interception.

dribbled past

but europa league (5 starts 1 sub appearance)

1.2 tackles per game

0.4 interceptions 

dribbled past 

What is the definition of defensive discipline, it’s not like those number are beyond his reach.

unless it’s a case of not tracking back. Which I don’t follow him closely enough to know.

That’s all well and good, it does not tell anywhere near a clear picture though and anyway, something about his game must not add up. :dunno:

Let the record show that I did not mention Perez, it was Hank, he started it

• Thanks 1

How many windows have we tried go sort that position out now? Perez, Albrighton, Under, Ghezzal. All not good enough and don't contribute enough G+A. I hope whoever had been identified is the real deal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

I’m not his biggest fan, but didn’t he assist goals at Arsenal & Leeds too? And score twice?

He also scored against AEK Athens and Brentford. Terrible research.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Thauvin is 28 but his contract expires in the summer. He'll most likely demand a big signing on fee and big salary though. 

If he’s our first choice, I really hope we get him! It’s clear under wasn’t our first choice and we’ve clearly suffered because of it! It’s the one position in the team that needs upgrading, a top RW and if we can stay injury free, we can fight for the title imo... & payet was 28 when West Ham signed him in 2015.

I sense it is a personality or cultural thing to explain why BR does not select Under. Maybe he thinks Under has a sense of entitlement or believes he is too good - something that BR may not like. I got this sense because Under kept trying to take freekicks over Maddison in the first two games he played. Although you can say the same thing with Maddison, Rodgers clearly likes Madders. Maybe he feels he does not suit the team’s culture. I am just speculating.

It cannot be about Under’s offensive abilities - he has been really good. Made some great assists and runs and scored 2 goals too in very limited minutes. Defensive wise, he is not worst than Barnes and Maddison. He does track back from what I saw.

Another point is BR’s very defensively minded tactics. When Under first came in, we thought we can see two offensively minded wingers supporting Vardy in the middle and go all out attacking. BR has only tried it once disappointingly. It is a shame because I always feel offense is defence and there is also a reason why we cannot win some winnable games because we do not create enough chances.

At the end of the day, I feel Under is more than good enough but perhaps culturally he is not fitting in.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2

Just now, winteriscoming said:

It is funny about Under not being great defensively when needed. 

Can’t remember Mahrez putting much if anything of a shift when needed in defence. 

That is a high bar you are setting there. 

Just now, winteriscoming said:

It is funny about Under not being great defensively when needed. 

Can’t remember Mahrez putting much if anything of a shift when needed in defence. 

Different manager, different Right back, different team, different balance and tactics. Oh and Mahrez is much better than Under.

• Like 2