Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

31 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

idk where you're getting your stats from but fbref, which uses the same stats provider as the club, has Perez down as making 3.65 tackles and interceptions per game, versus Under's 2.22 and Marc's 3.10. worth noting he also makes more pressures per game than under (21.9 against 14.8 per 90). even if you include the two previous years, there's no case to be made for under defensively.

They must be using a different definition of "tackles and interceptions" because those stats would be him among the EPL leaders...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

It's just a bit disappointing that halfway through the year it looks like we might not have a settled choice for rw for next season yet again. It's not even just the ones we buy, the ones that we are linked with and dont buy tend to be underwhelming elswhere as well, trincao, pepe, sarr etc. Knowing our luck in this position i wouldnt be surprised is Thauvin fails to impress as well, i just really want Under to succeed before the end of the year because im tired of us gambling in that position every season with a new option.

The problem is what most fans want from a RW and what BR seems to want are very different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

They must be using a different definition of "tackles and interceptions" because those stats would be him among the EPL leaders...

yeah ofc, definitions are important for this kind of thing. you can only use those stats to compare him against other people using the same definitions. but versus them he's 30th in the league against all players, and only mason mount is ahead of him for tackles and interceptions in terms of forwards who've played the same or more number of 90s. for number of pressures and number of successful players, only mason mount (again, guess that's why lampard was so keen on him), jordan ayew and our very own marc albrighton are ahead of him with the same number of minutes. there's a lot of very valid criticisms of ayoze but defensively he's very good, and imo when it comes down to that side of his game there's no contest between him and cengiz. obviously it's a different question as to whether under's attacking output makes up for the loss of defensive work from ayoze being out of the team

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I think it's illustrative to think of BR as a kind of anti-Cruyff, because predictability really seems to be the key metric he values.  If Cruyff preached total football Rodgers seems to prioritize "incremental football".  His ideal would be to be able to go take a dump in the middle of the match, come back, and as soon as he locates the ball know where every one of his players is within a one-meter circle.  Guys who float around a lot - Praet (who gets into unexpected positions very well - opposing defenders don't like it and neither does BR) and Under most obviously - are classed in a sort of "guilty until proven innocent" way and struggle to get on the pitch no matter how well they play.

The $64,000 question, then, is why bring guys like that in if they don't suit the manager?  It's not surprising to see them frozen out when they're not his sort of player.

While I don't doubt Rodgers has a pragmatic side, these strike me as some pretty fanciful takes based on little more than him not picking players you think he should. If he was really so averse to risk and unpredictability, I don't see how he'd tolerate Soyuncu trying to skin opposition forwards, Fofana doing shuttle runs up and down the pitch, our fullbacks bombing into the box, Maddison and Tielemans regularly attempting risky killer passes, Barnes drifting in off the left to drive at defences. Of all the reasons proposed for Under's continued failure to break into the team, I don't think Rodgers being some kind of  robotic tyrant with a hatred of individual expression is among the most compelling. I also don't think it's particularly absurd to ask our wingers to contribute defensively when we expect our full backs to do likewise in an attacking sense.

I think we're all to some extent disappointed not to have seen more of Under. Hopefully that changes - we're still competing on three fronts and there's plenty of football to be played. I don't doubt that he's got the ability to make an impact but if Rodgers doesn't trust him to carry out his game plan as part of a team, then he'll continue to sideline him and rightly so.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Guest said:

While I don't doubt Rodgers has a pragmatic side, these strike me as some pretty fanciful takes based on little more than him not picking players you think he should. If he was really so averse to risk and unpredictability, I don't see how he'd tolerate Soyuncu trying to skin opposition forwards, Fofana doing shuttle runs up and down the pitch, our fullbacks bombing into the box, Maddison and Tielemans regularly attempting risky killer passes, Barnes drifting in off the left to drive at defences. Of all the reasons proposed for Under's continued failure to break into the team, I don't think Rodgers being some kind of  robotic tyrant with a hatred of individual expression is among the most compelling. I also don't think it's particularly absurd to ask our wingers to contribute defensively when we expect our full backs to do likewise in an attacking sense.

I think we're all to some extent disappointed not to have seen more of Under. Hopefully that changes - we're still competing on three fronts and there's plenty of football to be played. I don't doubt that he's got the ability to make an impact but if Rodgers doesn't trust him to carry out his game plan as part of a team, then he'll continue to sideline him and rightly so.

When he's had alternatives to Soyuncu, he's played them (including when Soyuncu came back from injury this season).  I suspect he prefers CBs who don't make strafing runs forward, but when there's clearly no decent alternative - as was the case when Cags finally got his shot (and fortunately ran with it) - who else is he going to play?  Morgan was clearly done and there wasn't anybody else.

I don't think he especially minds central midfielders attempting through balls because they do it from positions they're expected to be in, and it's what creative MFs are expected to do.

Edited by Deeg67

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....goes back to what I have said before, if Rodgers sees Ünder as a liability then why have him on the bench!!!

If every time he gets on he will be a liability to the team, so why is he on the bench. If he can't be trusted why is he still here.

Who else to pick?  :dunno:

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers has gone on record as saying he expects more goals from out wide. Barnes is doing that, Albrighton and Lerez aren't. He brings Ünder in and doesn't give him a chance even though the other two already still failing to provide what Rodgers is demanding. Ünder's defensive contribution is as good, if not better than Barnes as well. Hmmmmmm

If that is true then there is either another footballing reason that Under does not play (although quite that could be I do not know!) or there is a contractual quandary that means it becomes a problem should he play more, although suppose it might be that Cengiz called Rodgers a wee man in Turkish?

The mysteries of life :unsure:

• Like 1

Could also be a bit of clever man management from Rodgers, it is clear what he expects and what he wants to see from Under, this could be the proverbial kick up the arse/motivation that sees him kick on. Will be interesting to see if he is involved tonight. 

for what it’s worth I thought Rodgers got it right at the weekend, Wolves strength was out wide with Neto and Adama, having Under playing, whilst offering us more going forward, would definitely have left us more exposed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Moaning or offering a different opinion to yours, after reading the last 6 pages about 70 percent is you replying to different people. Maybe just accept people all have their own opinions rather than telling them their wrong.

Firstly, if different people keep replying, it more likely I'll keep replying to each new one as they probably offer a different view. Secondly, I'm not the only one replying to them. Thirdly, I accept can have different opinions, but things like saying "he should play more" are not opinions. Should is a definitive term, not an opinion. So for a team currently tracking above expectation, no fringe player "should" be playing more. He could play more, totally agree with that, but should he play more, no.

• Like 1

Guest Underfan
7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

There are a few more team in the world then Besiktas who maybe interested.

Ooh thanks for quoting, i informed Besiktas is bankrupt, and that they couldnt buy and used the term  "from that front", i didnt mean  no other teams in the world would not buy him 

Edited by Underfan
rephraphrased

22 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Could also be a bit of clever man management from Rodgers, it is clear what he expects and what he wants to see from Under, this could be the proverbial kick up the arse/motivation that sees him kick on. Will be interesting to see if he is involved tonight. 

for what it’s worth I thought Rodgers got it right at the weekend, Wolves strength was out wide with Neto and Adama, having Under playing, whilst offering us more going forward, would definitely have left us more exposed. 

What if that had forced their players to play deeper as they had to defend against us? By playing more defensive, do we not invite teams on to us?

I like it when we stretch games, if they didn't play deeper to defend against Under, then it gives him more space. Obviously the same can be said about them getting in to space behind us, but I'd put my money on our back four + KS + Ndidi/Hamza/Mendy any day of the week, especially if the opposition are concerned about our attacking force. Without Vardy up top it strikes me they would have been less nervous, and would have pushed up, stick Under on and they have to sit deeper.

It's easy watching from an arm chair though :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Underfan

People were so much in awe for the Thauvin's goal to Andorra, no one noticed the link I sent where Cengiz scored a cryer to French National team with his right foot.

Guest Underfan
45 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

This thread is a thing of beauty. 80 pages. Underfan is taking on everyone in this forum, even those who agree with him, and nothing will stop him. I'm not even sure we're taking about Under anymore. I stopped bothering to read the posts long ago.

As a Fenerbahce fan, I would like to have a Greek  or a Hungarian man in our fan forums, who had followed Gekas or Atilla Szalai since their debut into soccer. Because there are lots of things I would like to ask about them. As for Under,  having read unjust comments that he is a  "selfish type ", "lazy in trainings" to a player who was living in a room inside training premises and even not buying a car but using a bicycle  for years when he could indulge in extreme luxuries. There is a gist here flooding that Under had not impressed Brendan in the training therefore not played, I gave that idea zero chance. Brendan prepares him for the future of Leicester, he may not needed him scorewise out of bench (other than Wolves game)  but he is for sure in his future years plan. But we will see. 

You had writen that I take on people who agree with me. Please reply me when and whom.  why should I do such a thing.

2 minutes ago, Underfan said:

As a Fenerbahce fan, I would like to have a Greek  or a Hungarian man in our fan forums, who had followed Gekas or Atilla Szalai since their debut into soccer. Because there are lots of things I would like to ask about them. As for Under,  having read unjust comments that he is a  "selfish type ", "lazy in trainings" to a player who was living in a room inside training premises and even not buying a car but using a bicycle  for years when he could indulge in extreme luxuries. There is a gist here flooding that Under had not impressed Brendan in the training therefore not played, I gave that idea zero chance. Brendan prepares him for the future of Leicester, he may not needed him scorewise out of bench (other than Wolves game)  but he is for sure in his future years plan. But we will see. 

You had writen that I take on people who agree with me. Please reply me when and whom.  why should I do such a thing.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, my friend.

You are a rather prolific poster. You make deanolegend look like a part-time zealot. He'll be jealous. You're putting him to shame.

• Haha 4

Something isn’t right with under, he looks like he could be a top top player. He either keeps picking up knocks and hasn’t got sharpness or does work as well as others on training.

However we can’t argue too much about BR team selection as he has us up in the top 4 again. Albrighton it having his best season since we won the league.

Edited by teblin

Guest Underfan
7 minutes ago, teblin said:

Something isn’t right with under, he looks like he could be a top top player. He either keeps picking up knocks and hasn’t got sharpness or does work as well as others on training.

However we can’t argue too much about BR team selection as he has us up in the top 4 again. Albrighton it having his best season since we won the league.

What is not OK with Under right now is his stamina, he actually couldnt play after the pandemy and had had also missed some game time prior to pandemy due to injury, before that he was rather a frequent player in Rome. As for injuries, you can be relaxed  all are muscle related. He is physically strong, all his ex coaches inluding Raineri will agree he is a sharp (intelligent) man. People may argue he is way offensive and opens spaces for opponents attackers, this is what Brendan also implied. But Brendan also implied he is still work in progress. Brendan is for sure aware of all these we are discussing when signing him. No one says Cengiz is superior to Albrighton. They are different type of players, one is a defense oriented, runner, classic crosser the other is a modern opposite footed pacy introvert winger who is extremely greedy and brave for a goal or more goals. There are for sure times when one is needed than another.

Got a feeling he was never our first choice, probably our 3rd or 4th and he was only added to the squad to add an extra body through a long season. We waited till he was fit, gave him some minutes and tried to get him involved with the squad, but he's not fulfilling up to the 'standards' that Rodgers requires. I've also got a feeling we've identified a potential other target or two and it'll be a lot better value for money than spending 22m on Under, so we're not that bothered about keeping him happy, as we know he won't be here in 4 months time.

A lot of assumptions I know :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The problem is what most fans want from a RW and what BR seems to want are very different.

Not being funny, but who gives a crap what a load of know nothings want?  If its a problem, I doubt its one BR loses sleep over!  lol

edit: I am not saying BR is beyond missing the point when it comes to certain players, and putting Cengiz in would be exciting, however that is not enough on its own

Edited by Dahnsouff