Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Man City (A) Match Thread

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We've literally replicated the way Wolves beat Man City twice last season. In fact what we are doing to Man City is very similar to what teams do against us at the KP. We are playing a super deep defensive block and forcing Man City to go wide so their awesome central players can't do as much damage. Then we want to break with pace which is why you see our fast players; Vardy, Barnes, Castagne and JJ beak forwards. We will give up 80% of the possession but it makes it extremely hard for them to open us up in open play. In fact all of their best chances have come from set pieces.

We won the frigging league playing counter attack, there is nothing wrong with it. I far prefer to watch the sexy free flowing football we played against Burnley and West Brom, but this makes me happy to see. There is a reason we didn't beat the teams that finished higher than us and in the case of Liverpool and Man City it's because they have better players and have a better system than we do. I think we should try to play the high press against Chelsea and Man United but not the other two.

We may well lose the game because of the quality Man City have, but I think this was well worth trying, and so far it's worked. Remember under Puel we also beat them with 3 CDM's in the team. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic.

No, when Puel was here, we had quite a go and played well.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Go toe with Man City you lose

Agree - there is always a very high risk. As I said earlier, we went for it in this fixture last season and then set up the same against Liverpool at home and got annihilated in the process. Brendan got destroyed on here for playing such a suicidal high press - today he has received criticism for playing so deep. It is such a fine line - each leaves you as vulnerable.

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Defend deep and well and counter them is the best tactic.

Which is why Wolves beat them home and away last season!

And Man United. Invites pressure though. 

Just caught up with the match thread.  Reading through it is pretty grim.  Pre match you were all resigned to losing because of Man City's quality and then when we are pinned back you can't handle it.  Man City are good.

I suspect the plan is to stay in the game and try to hit them on the break or take it to them later.  You could argue it has worked, even without the penalty at 1-0 we would still be in the game.  If most of you had your wish and we had gone at them toe to toe we could be 3-0 down and out of it.

As always @StriderHiryu has nailed it.

• Like 2

Just now, murphy said:

Just caught up with the match thread.  Reading through it is pretty grim.  Pre match you were all resigned to losing because of Man City's quality and then when we are pinned back you can't handle it.  Man City are good.

^