Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Man City (A) Match Thread

Well for a large part of that I thought we were watching a live training session, defence v attack.

Awful but given the evidence of how we treat these type of games (And many other type of games for that matter) it's to be expected, given our start i'd hoped for something different this time...maybe not.

Anyway, let's hope Brendan seen the difference and how productive it was when *shock* we moved forward and attacked!

Let's hope that gives us encouragement and belief about how we treat the 2nd half.

Please.

• Like 1

Encouraging at times but also overly negative. I get we need to be careful, we are frustrating them a little bit though. Going behind early we've done well to firstly stay in it and then get back level. Castagne and Mendy excellent, Barnes and Justin need to take more care going forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

We've literally replicated the way Wolves beat Man City twice last season. In fact what we are doing to Man City is very similar to what teams do against us at the KP. We are playing a super deep defensive block and forcing Man City to go wide so their awesome central players can't do as much damage. Then we want to break with pace which is why you see our fast players; Vardy, Barnes, Castagne and JJ beak forwards. We will give up 80% of the possession but it makes it extremely hard for them to open us up in open play. In fact all of their best chances have come from set pieces.

We won the frigging league playing counter attack, there is nothing wrong with it. I far prefer to watch the sexy free flowing football we played against Burnley and West Brom, but this makes me happy to see. There is a reason we didn't beat the teams that finished higher than us and in the case of Liverpool and Man City it's because they have better players and have a better system than we do. I think we should try to play the high press against Chelsea and Man United but not the other two.

We may well lose the game because of the quality Man City have, but I think this was well worth trying, and so far it's worked. Remember under Puel we also beat them with 3 CDM's in the team. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic.

I think the midfield just needs to put them back 10 yards if possible. 

Just now, StanSP said:

We really do need to believe in ourselves a bit more. Realise they're there to be caught out on the break. Get the ball up quick as possible to Barnes and Vardy and we can get at them. 

Don't think we need to stick with Amartey on the pitch. I don't mind if we go for it with 3 up top but end up losing, but at least go for it and try to win it.

Agree. The thing is, we will definitely lose if we continue this way. Man City will surely get another goal. We need to have a go!!!

We need speed against Man City. Get Perez or Gray on. This game is not for Maddison - he does not have the speed to threaten this game.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

If Tielemans stays on the pitch he wont make the final whistle.

Maddison is the only like-for-like option on the bench, and he's just as capable - if not more so - of playing that killer ball to Vardy/Barnes. He'd be quicker than Tielemans at jumping on Foden's mistakes, too.

I accept what you say... but madders frustrates me.  I aldi dislike his off the ball stuff

Just now, Foxy_Bear said:

James Justin is simply not good enough. We've conceded 3 league goals this year and he has been at fault for all of them.

Wasn’t at fault for the goal. Was tracking his man and was off balance for the header as a result so did as well as he could. Could only have headed further out if he’d let his man go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

We've literally replicated the way Wolves beat Man City twice last season. In fact what we are doing to Man City is very similar to what teams do against us at the KP. We are playing a super deep defensive block and forcing Man City to go wide so their awesome central players can't do as much damage. Then we want to break with pace which is why you see our fast players; Vardy, Barnes, Castagne and JJ beak forwards. We will give up 80% of the possession but it makes it extremely hard for them to open us up in open play. In fact all of their best chances have come from set pieces.

We won the frigging league playing counter attack, there is nothing wrong with it. I far prefer to watch the sexy free flowing football we played against Burnley and West Brom, but this makes me happy to see. There is a reason we didn't beat the teams that finished higher than us and in the case of Liverpool and Man City it's because they have better players and have a better system than we do. I think we should try to play the high press against Chelsea and Man United but not the other two.

We may well lose the game because of the quality Man City have, but I think this was well worth trying, and so far it's worked. Remember under Puel we also beat them with 3 CDM's in the team. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic.

It’s boring but it’s effective. 

This game last season we went in 2-1 down at half time and it could have been 6-1.

Graeme Souness talks more sense than most of the nonsense spouted in this thread when we were losing. Not convinced the worst comments come from people that have ever stood on a football pitch at adult level. Shocking.

• Like 1