Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

29 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't think they'll go for an ex Liverpool manager, anyway Man U have never been trigger happy with managers. OGS is probably safe for a bit yet.

I think this also, I don't think they would go for an ex-Liverpool manager. Add in the fact he's British and was a bit of a joke figure at Liverpool towards the end and it's even less likely. Which is good as Man Utd will likely go out and throw some insane amount of money at someone from abroad, it'll end with them hovering from second to sixth as is usually the case and rinse and repeat.

16 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I think this also, I don't think they would go for an ex-Liverpool manager. Add in the fact he's British and was a bit of a joke figure at Liverpool towards the end and it's even less likely. Which is good as Man Utd will likely go out and throw some insane amount of money at someone from abroad, it'll end with them hovering from second to sixth as is usually the case and rinse and repeat.

The only so called top clubs that he might go to imo is Spurs or Arsenal. Neither are really appealing atm. Man Utd won’t go for him because of his links with Liverpool. Man City and Chelsea will look abroad. He is better off stopping here and improving the side over the next couple of years. As stated in another post I think it’s a good fit between us and Rodgers.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

The only so called top clubs that he might go to imo is Spurs or Arsenal. Neither are really appealing atm. Man Utd won’t go for him because of his links with Liverpool. Man City and Chelsea will look abroad. He is better off stopping here and improving the side over the next couple of years. As stated in another post I think it’s a good fit between us and Rodgers.  

I don't think he'd be tempted by Spurs or Arsenal either. I'm not so sure I agree with you on City and Chelsea though. If Tuchel gets the bullet then I reckon Rodgers will be top of their list. If Nagelsmann has already gone elsewhere by the time Pep leaves I could see him being top of their list also.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

That whole deluded Brendan thing is dead in the water. He’s now regarded as one of the best managers in England if not the world. If Utd were to sack Ole right this second then I’d be gobsmacked if he wasn’t on the shortlist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don't think he'd be tempted by Spurs or Arsenal either. I'm not so sure I agree with you on City and Chelsea though. If Tuchel gets the bullet then I reckon Rodgers will be top of their list. If Nagelsmann has already gone elsewhere by the time Pep leaves I could see him being top of their list also.

Agree with this.

If Tuchel doesn't do great doe the remainder of the season I can see them coming in for Rodgers and I think he'd go, sadly.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

As long as we're finishing in and around the top of the table but not winning trophies you can probably use Pocchettino as a yardstick for how likely those kinds of teams are to go in for him.  Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

As long as we're finishing in and around the top of the table but not winning trophies you can probably use Pocchettino as a yardstick for how likely those kinds of teams are to go in for him.  Make of that what you will.

Taking Leicester into the Champions League is a far greater achievement than say Spurs winning an FA Cup, in anyones eyes imo.

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

That whole deluded Brendan thing is dead in the water. He’s now regarded as one of the best managers in England if not the world. If Utd were to sack Ole right this second then I’d be gobsmacked if he wasn’t on the shortlist. 

I never said he wouldn't be on the shortlist I just find it hard to believe they'd go for him, never underestimate football rivalry.

It's all about negotiating from a position of power and using that to decide the best opportunity/job . All clubs have to do is look at the numbers and results over Rodgers career relative to circumstances. Doubt that Rodgers came here by some fluke. Probably went over this club and squad with due diligence just like the club with him. Expect that he sat down with the club and formulated a plan before he even took the job to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Hard for me to understand the speculation when things are going so well here and there's so much too enjoy right now. As things are now I expect Rodgers to be here until the end of next season. If it goes longer then that's gravy....for all of us.

On 15/02/2021 at 15:28, AKCJ said:

I unashamedly have an agenda against Puel to be fair.

He oversaw an important period of change at the club but absolutely had to go. Will always appreciate him for the way he conducted himself during the period following Vichai's death but his football had me questioning whether I was enjoying myself at the KP. Good luck to anyone that can put up with his football but IMO that's not what football is all about.

Correct. Problem is some folks talk of him as if he was the French Peter Taylor. 

He did some good things here but his time was up and he had to go. 

• Like 3

Regarding BR , I personally think we have a very good manager in BR, possibly one with the potential to become a Great Manager for LCFC, which we are overdue in the sense the big six have all had one except Spurs . Imo Bill Nicholson did n' t  quite become one and Chelsea although they 've had many bought in 'Great Managers" have n't really had one of their own yet. Also Pep has n't become  a great manager at Man C. He did become a great manager at Barca (despite Barca not being insignificant) and pretty well another one at Bayern, and has pretty well become another one at Man C., but at Man C there' s been too much money involved.You're not allowed to buy the title.

Perhaps I ought to describe my idea of a Great Manager. He goes to a non -significant club (so you can't become a great manager by going to Man U--Fergie ,who i don't like became a Great Manager at Aberdeen not Man U. At Man U he merely confimed he was a very competent,possibly inspired for brief periods , manager.).

The Great Manager then, over a longish period, wins major competitions, building the team(s) that accomplish this almost from scratch. Major competitions would be English , German, italian, Spanish, French, Dutch first division titles, cups, European titles, world cup titles,(sometimes ). Therefore I have to in fairness to include Alf Ramsay., a man I could never have warmed to, but against the odds he won the world cup (in spite of the FA ) and took Ipswich (of all people) to the first division title, while playing ,compared with his England , attractive football . 

In addition a Great Manager is almost always associated with one team, attractive football, and a long time with the club where he makes his name and with whom he is unavoidably linked., When he leaves "his" club, the club is in such good shape his legacy lasts ,to some extent for at least 10 years. ( so Fergie at Man U out again).  Rarely someone achieves it twice as apparently Herbert Chapman did.

This above is not a good definition. I'd be grateful to anyone who had a good concise definition which imo would exclude "buying" success, and somehow get Jock Stein in, a wonderful guy. Maybe its not possible to define. We are still imo a non-significant club but only just. Go for it Brendan. Your recent selection blindness does not disqualify you and you also appear to me to be one of the good guys, a big advantage.in the unlikely event I'm asked, in which case your lsck of benevolent ruthlessness would not be an asset. 

Edited by Alan Frost

1 hour ago, browniefox said:

He's odds on to be next Tottenham manager. Not a good sign. 

If you click your heels three times it's sure to come true :jump:

Re Rodgers to Spurs. Spurs might not be able to continue to splash the cash like they have for the past two years until to their current financial "crisis" has resolved. The new stadium has placed them in huge debt and its viability was based on the massive revenue stream from hosting major sporting and none sporting events, which might not be taking place for some time. The cost of sacking Jose and bringing in Rodgers would be huge as well. 

2-3 decent signings for Leicester in the summer and we'll have a very competitive squad for Rodgers to work with. I think he'd be better off staying at Leicester for a year or so rather than going to a club like Spurs at this point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, browniefox said:

Not a bad sign either. Besides, they are a step down from us now, why would anyone involved at Leicester go there? These lot have won nothing in years and years, more chance of a trophy at Leicester in my honest opinion.

29 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Not a bad sign either. Besides, they are a step down from us now, why would anyone involved at Leicester go there? These lot have won nothing in years and years, more chance of a trophy at Leicester in my honest opinion.

Levy is the big boss at Tottenham & he decide the direction the club will go in. The manager has limited input into player decisions as we have seen with Poch & Jose.

Not the place for Brendan to go to.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Levy is the big boss at Tottenham & he decide the direction the club will go in. The manager has limited input into player decisions as we have seen with Poch & Jose.

Not the place for Brendan to go to.

It will cost Daniel Levi a fortune to pay off Mourinho and he is already filling Bale's wallet with £2m a month  for modest returns. I think we're safe for a season or so before Brendan becomes a prize we can't keep  

4 hours ago, browniefox said:

It'll cost Spurs 60m to make him their manager. 30m from us and 30m to sack Mourinho - I'd be staggered if they went for it. He'll still have 4 years on his contract at the end of this year - I reckon unless it's one of the really big boys in the next couple of years there's no chance.

• Like 2