Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

Hypothetically, if we lost Brendan ( I don’t think we will btw) what sort of managers do we think we could get? 

would I be completely delusional to think potchettino would at least answer the phone to top? Surely our job is a dream gig for so many, good young players, the best owners and a much lower expectation than the bigger clubs 

4 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

And Puel signed Maddison, Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Tielemans

You can't deny the players he got us his contract was worth that alone he just couldn't get the results but he done well considering the stick he got but he took us as far as he could .. get him as dof 

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Hypothetically, if we lost Brendan ( I don’t think we will btw) what sort of managers do we think we could get? 

would I be completely delusional to think potchettino would at least answer the phone to top? Surely our job is a dream gig for so many, good young players, the best owners and a much lower expectation than the bigger clubs 

I think Pochettino is waiting for the Man U job. 

10 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

No chance, we're at the point spurs were around midway to latter through his tenure. He's earnt a shot at a super club

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I can't see us attracting a Poch or Allegri without kicking on and qualifying a few times for the Champions League consecutively. 

To be honest, while our recruitment of players has been superb and often left field, our recruitment of managers has shown a real lack of imagination. 

So far out current owners have rehired an old manager, hired the only man that publicly declared an interest, given it to the caretaker (who was the previous assistant), hired a guy sacked by another Premier League club and hired a guy from Celtic. 

That's not to say these appointments should be judged by how imaginative or obscure they were, clearly Ranieri, Pearson and Rodgers were all great options. But it does make you wonder what we're going to do when there's a less obvious choice on the table. 

Clubs like Southampton have proven themselves consistently excellent at looking to the continent and plucking guys who are upwardly mobile, it's something we need to consider in our future and probably improve at. 

• Like 2

Why go Arsenal, if he carries on doing the job he doing here for another 18 months, he will be on list for far better jobs then the Arsenal one!

If he get us in the top six two years running, whilst sell two star players in Maguire and Chilwell and a only a net spend of 20 million over those two season. Lots of owners of big clubs will be looking at him.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I can't see us attracting a Poch or Allegri without kicking on and qualifying a few times for the Champions League consecutively. 

To be honest, while our recruitment of players has been superb and often left field, our recruitment of managers has shown a real lack of imagination. 

So far out current owners have rehired an old manager, hired the only man that publicly declared an interest, given it to the caretaker (who was the previous assistant), hired a guy sacked by another Premier League club and hired a guy from Celtic. 

That's not to say these appointments should be judged by how imaginative or obscure they were, clearly Ranieri, Pearson and Rodgers were all great options. But it does make you wonder what we're going to do when there's a less obvious choice on the table. 

Clubs like Southampton have proven themselves consistently excellent at looking to the continent and plucking guys who are upwardly mobile, it's something we need to consider in our future and probably improve at. 

Lack of imagination, but pretty good.

I'd take that over imaginative left field selections, yes Southampton have done well, but for everyone of those there's a Watford's, Fulham's, Forest's et al.  

To much obsession with continental managers in the PL and English football in general, everyone forgets the terrible ones!

I think as a country, we should look at Germany and how they are producing home grow managers.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

Here in Spain you meet all sorts of football fans with all sorts of views and today I had 2 blokes one a Liverpool fan the other Everton who both agreed we were lucky to have a top top manager. Interestingly both thought we were dark horses again but not as dark as before as we are a quality team. Nice to get others perspective 

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Lack of imagination, but pretty good.

I'd take that over imaginative left field selections, yes Southampton have done well, but for everyone of those there's a Watford's, Fulham's, Forest's et al.  

To much obsession with continental managers in the PL and English football in general, everyone forgets the terrible ones!

I think as a country, we should look at Germany and how they are producing home grow managers.

What I mean to say is that there won't always be such an obvious choice on the table, though. We've not really had to strain ourselves to find a manager, we've not HAD to look outside the box. Eventually we will. 

I don't agree with your second last paragraph though. Its not about having foreign managers for the sakes of it, it's just about the standard of British managers being poor. So I guess I agree with the last part of your post. 

Guys like Dyche like to bleat on and on about how British managers don't get respect but its a load of shit. Crap, dull, anti football managers don't get respect, where they're from is irrelevant. The media loving telling everyone how much of a genius Rodgers, Potter and Howe are because they play decent football and want to win games. 

Dyche, Hodgson, Bruce, Moyes and Co do all have something in common but it isn't being British. 

• Like 1

As I've said before, he's clearly a good manager. He's also clearly an arrogant cock.

When we're winning he'll get praised til the cows come home, and when we lose he'll manage the media so it isn't perceived as his fault. 

When the pressure isn't on, 9 times out of 10 we'll play some absolutely excellent football. It's when the shit hits the fan where he (rightly so) has doubters. 

Yesterday was a pressure game, no doubt about it. It would've been so very Leicester to drop points after the weekend results. He's played 3 at the back, saw it wasn't working and had the humility (not his finest trait) to change it to 4. Hats off to him, hoping for more of the same!

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What I mean to say is that there won't always be such an obvious choice on the table, though. We've not really had to strain ourselves to find a manager, we've not HAD to look outside the box. Eventually we will. 

I don't agree with your second last paragraph though. Its not about having foreign managers for the sakes of it, it's just about the standard of British managers being poor. So I guess I agree with the last part of your post. 

Guys like Dyche like to bleat on and on about how British managers don't get respect but its a load of shit. Crap, dull, anti football managers don't get respect, where they're from is irrelevant. The media loving telling everyone how much of a genius Rodgers, Potter and Howe are because they play decent football and want to win games. 

Dyche, Hodgson, Bruce, Moyes and Co do all have something in common but it isn't being British. 

Rodgers was a step in the right direction, we've had the same concerns before about this. But at the very least he was a step away from "bloke who is out of a job", which is seemingly what we'd done before. 

• Like 1

I really don't think many top or elite managers would be too interested in the Arsenal job mid season. 

Brendan appears to a very savvy person who knows what's best for him. Top 4 or even top 6 with Leicester will continue to build his CV.  Leicester is win/win for Brendan but Arsenal is fraught with disaster.

He is too smart to go to Arsenal which is good for us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I wouldn't want any of that list, but the lack of good British coaches isn't going to improve unless clubs are willing to develop them. 

It took British football years of watching Spain, Gemany, French, Belgium developing quality young players for the penny to drop that we weren't doing it right and to change, we are starting to see the fruits of that change.

The same with managers and coaches, we need to look at how other country invest in coaching, Spain have 25,000 Uefa A, B and Pro Licence coaches, Italy 30,000 and Germany 35,000 while England have less than 6,000.

Is it any wondered we are not developing forward thinking managers.

8 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

As I've said before, he's clearly a good manager. He's also clearly an arrogant cock.

When we're winning he'll get praised til the cows come home, and when we lose he'll manage the media so it isn't perceived as his fault. 

When the pressure isn't on, 9 times out of 10 we'll play some absolutely excellent football. It's when the shit hits the fan where he (rightly so) has doubters. 

Yesterday was a pressure game, no doubt about it. It would've been so very Leicester to drop points after the weekend results. He's played 3 at the back, saw it wasn't working and had the humility (not his finest trait) to change it to 4. Hats off to him, hoping for more of the same!

I take it you know him personally to make those judgements? 

• Like 1

On the manager discussion it’s something I’ve moaned about in the past too. We’d never have appointed Puel if he hadn’t have already managed in England which shows our search wasn’t very comprehensive. 

StatsBomb who we’re partnered with do managerial recruitment consulting and our head of analytics used to work for them so you’d hope we’ll cast our net a bit further next time we need a manager.

Diego Martinez is doing a good job with Granada,  worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

This thread is like a never ending circle jerk. Repeats itself over and over. Has anybody found any relief for all the effort?......... think I might be having deja vu all over again.

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I just don't get the accusation of arrogance - is he supposed to prostrate himself in front of the press whenever he makes an error? I wonder how good those that level 'arrogant' and 'egotistical' at him are at humility and admitting mistakes.

I don't think he is arrogant he just believes in his way which as manager you should do its a cheap shot and he has proved he can adapt and change it when it's not working .. you can't please everyone though!

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Is this not similar to Celtic fans saying 'surely he'd want to stick on for the rest of the season - complete the records with Celtic which would look amazing on his CV'.

I don't think he'll go - at least not right now. I hope he doesn't get lured. He's achieveing fantastic things with us in terms of league and European competitions and where we stand, the training ground, the potential stadium expansion. He could stay for a few years and be part of the reason our status continues to get elevated.

Good point, forgot about that lol

54 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Rodgers wasn't a a obvious choice and would you really have Poch here .. Rodoers could be as good as we will get and hopefully stays with us for as long as possible