Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shev

The anti-establishment club?

1 hour ago, Shev said:

Not a Leicester fan (Wycombe), but a thought occurred to me when I read some Man City article bleating on about them being the "outsiders". The anti-establishment club in the PL is actually Leicester City. Not in the way of being contrarian and thumbing your noses at other clubs at any opportunity, but because of what you symbolize to the "big six"...the possibility of someone else winning it all. I read something (I think on here?) where an exec from one of the big clubs supposedly said something along the lines of "the last thing we need is another Leicester". Then you have Leicester being the only club to vote against the PPV deal, and being excluded from the proposed "big nine" despite having won the league more recently than Tottenham, Arsenal and Man United.

2015-16 was a very significant season. Neutral/lower league fans like myself were thrilled for Leicester (I started lurking on here halfway through that season to see how you were all processing the journey), but we know that when the dust settled, the top clubs all reloaded with gusto, and I can only imagine how many suits at those corporate monstrosities repeated that mantra, "never again..." So while your league win was a beacon of hope, that there is still romance in even the top echelon of the game, it would have been a hellish nightmare for those clubs seeking to dominate the football globe economically. So that season was a clash of what the game should be, versus what it has been becoming for some time now.

Fast forward to last season, and Leicester are a smidge away from being the next "non-elite" club to crack the top four again - with only Vardy and Schmeichel regular starters (I think?) from the league winners. Somehow, the same club almost worked a very similar magic, even though almost the whole cast had changed! Despite you falling away to 5th, it can't have been a nice flashback for the execs at the cash cows - Leicester almost stealing someone else's hereditary right to Euromoney again! 

So it's not as if Leicester are deliberately giving the finger to the top six - it is more a case of symbolism. The average fan loves what Leicester symbolize (and always will, I think). "Doing a Leicester" pretty much entered the lexicon for a stunning win against all the odds. When we went up unexpectedly last year, the first thing out of our player's mouths when trying to put it into some kind of context, was to compare it to Leicester. So there is a resonance even to the club name, as we immediately have visions of achieving the impossible. But Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and the others probably think very different thoughts when they hear your club name.

So, not just for the glory, but for the sake of rubbing their noses in it, may you somehow crack the top four this season!

:appl:Great read and thank you for your thoughts. It's always good to see what perception fans of other clubs have of us.

Good luck to Wycombe for the season, I hope you can consolidate your status in the Championship. Hope Josh Knight does well for you.

• Like 3

@Shev You might form a different opinion when LCFC are one of those clubs that vote against the proposals thereby denying Wycombe an immediate cash bailout. The blame game will be starting soon. 

Thanks for your positive comments. Always good to hear from others outside our bubble. Still bare the scars from Roy Essendoh :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shev said:

Not a Leicester fan (Wycombe), but a thought occurred to me when I read some Man City article bleating on about them being the "outsiders". The anti-establishment club in the PL is actually Leicester City. Not in the way of being contrarian and thumbing your noses at other clubs at any opportunity, but because of what you symbolize to the "big six"...the possibility of someone else winning it all. I read something (I think on here?) where an exec from one of the big clubs supposedly said something along the lines of "the last thing we need is another Leicester". Then you have Leicester being the only club to vote against the PPV deal, and being excluded from the proposed "big nine" despite having won the league more recently than Tottenham, Arsenal and Man United.

2015-16 was a very significant season. Neutral/lower league fans like myself were thrilled for Leicester (I started lurking on here halfway through that season to see how you were all processing the journey), but we know that when the dust settled, the top clubs all reloaded with gusto, and I can only imagine how many suits at those corporate monstrosities repeated that mantra, "never again..." So while your league win was a beacon of hope, that there is still romance in even the top echelon of the game, it would have been a hellish nightmare for those clubs seeking to dominate the football globe economically. So that season was a clash of what the game should be, versus what it has been becoming for some time now.

Fast forward to last season, and Leicester are a smidge away from being the next "non-elite" club to crack the top four again - with only Vardy and Schmeichel regular starters (I think?) from the league winners. Somehow, the same club almost worked a very similar magic, even though almost the whole cast had changed! Despite you falling away to 5th, it can't have been a nice flashback for the execs at the cash cows - Leicester almost stealing someone else's hereditary right to Euromoney again! 

So it's not as if Leicester are deliberately giving the finger to the top six - it is more a case of symbolism. The average fan loves what Leicester symbolize (and always will, I think). "Doing a Leicester" pretty much entered the lexicon for a stunning win against all the odds. When we went up unexpectedly last year, the first thing out of our player's mouths when trying to put it into some kind of context, was to compare it to Leicester. So there is a resonance even to the club name, as we immediately have visions of achieving the impossible. But Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and the others probably think very different thoughts when they hear your club name.

So, not just for the glory, but for the sake of rubbing their noses in it, may you somehow crack the top four this season!

Finally a post worth reading. 

• Like 1

In the context of the Premier League and English league football in general, it's probably a fair enough term to apply (which is kind of a sad state of affairs in terms of where the game's at here). In a wider context, probably not. If 15/16 hadn't happened we'd be a middling top flight club which had happened to rightly display a social conscience on a couple of issues.

3 hours ago, jonthefox said:

I'm always dubious of someone who can write an articulate post at ten to seven in the morning. 

18 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm dubious of the few folk on here who can write an articulate post at ten to seven at night! 

What's articulate...I thought it had something to do with Lorries .:whistle:

• Haha 1

Superb post.

We're a great example of a club not just establishing themselves in the top flight but actually aiming to challenge the status quo, not being content to sit in 8th to 14th place season after season. We're what Stoke, Charlton, etc. could've been, and we're showing teams like West Ham that those ambitions can be achieved if they're gone about in the right way.

We have a lot fewer resources than the big 6, but actually I think we're showing that the might of the Premier League is allowing teams who are run properly and creatively to compete with the big boys and that years of just chucking money at superstars might not work all the time.

This power grab could well be a way of stopping the likes of us, Wolves, and other teams from taking advantage of the Premier League's money and prestige by elbowing their way into the established elite. We have to keep on fighting it. If people see a team consistently achieving at the top end of the table who consistently opposes these kinds of greedy reforms, maybe people will take notice.

(By the way, I've no residual resentment for the FA Cup upset all those years ago. Best of luck in the Championship and, please, if you can, make Adebayo Akinfenwa a Premier League player!)

• Like 3

The government needs to step in and act on behalf of all fans. They should insist on having a bureaucrat on the Boards of both the FA and the Premiership.

There's so much money involved that the potential for corruption is huge and needs to be controlled.

Football Clubs are essentially Community establishments and need to be retained as such. Every fan has to be believe that his club has a chance to reach the top thru a system and level playing field. Not distorted by a few for a few.

This cannot be allowed to happen, if needed Fans need to take up a protest for the good of all football.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Bear said:

How dare you. 

I didn't come on here to stick my tongue up your proverbial East Midlands rectums. I came to slowly drip feed you Black Country musings and info until all of your second teams are Wolves. 

Granted its taking a bit longer than I first anticipated but I won't give up! 

You’re one of our direct rivals but i love the way there are now a fair few ‘small clubs’ that take points off the ‘big boys’ 

Take away the VAR farces and the league is as great as it’s ever been imo. I love the way nobody has a clue what might happen next. That in part is helped by the emergence of Wolves. 

I’m just as worried playing Villa, Everton, Leeds, Brighton (although many wouldn’t be) and yourselves as I am about Arsenal / spurs/ United and that is fantastic for football. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Bear said:

How dare you. 

I didn't come on here to stick my tongue up your proverbial East Midlands rectums. I came to slowly drip feed you Black Country musings and info until all of your second teams are Wolves. 

Granted its taking a bit longer than I first anticipated but I won't give up! 

I wondered why I booked a holiday to Portugal and bought myself a bright orange mankini

• Haha 3