Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ThurmastonFox

Post Lockdown Struggle

3 minutes ago, shen said:

If anything, yesterday showed how useless it is to punt the ball forward and reaffirms that the 'new way' of playing out from the back well is the way to open up teams.

Sort of agree. Sort of disagree. We won a title by not playing that way. But we also stuffed Saints, and everyone else this time last year, by playing that way. For me, it revolves around personnel. If Vardy, Ricky and Madders are fit, we have the pace and talent to make a possession game work. But, also without our enforcer, (N’Didi), we struggle to impose a potent version of that game. Instead we pay lip service by playing a passing game with no cutting edge. Playing a lone striker role is extremely difficult. In Vardy, we have a brilliant exponent of that role. There aren’t many in the PL that can do it as well. Possibly none that we could afford? 🤷‍♂️ It’s not so much about a radical change of system, although if Vardy is out we might have to, just injecting some energy and urgency into the version we do utilise. 

6 hours ago, Ceirboy said:

It isn’t really an odd comment. Using football as a vehicle for political statements Is not necessary, it adds another string to an already messy bow.

It’s not about creating a political statement it’s about the black community receiving the same basic rights that the rest of us do. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Defeats sicken me to the core. Even my sleep was fitful last night. Then I wake up and remember why I feel a nagging depression that momentarily I couldn't place. 

Pathetic really. But that's what makes the highs so good!

I have been following the Foxes for sixty years and it still makes me feel sick when we loose, no matter how we loose. Fortunately I recover fairly quickly to the realities of life.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Sort of agree. Sort of disagree. We won a title by not playing that way. But we also stuffed Saints, and everyone else this time last year, by playing that way. For me, it revolves around personnel. If Vardy, Ricky and Madders are fit, we have the pace and talent to make a possession game work. But, also without our enforcer, (N’Didi), we struggle to impose a potent version of that game. Instead we pay lip service by playing a passing game with no cutting edge. Playing a lone striker role is extremely difficult. In Vardy, we have a brilliant exponent of that role. There aren’t many in the PL that can do it as well. Possibly none that we could afford? 🤷‍♂️ It’s not so much about a radical change of system, although if Vardy is out we might have to, just injecting some energy and urgency into the version we do utilise. 

Yeah, but our title win is very much irrelevant now. And it's not like we have completely forgotten how to play that way (see our win at Man City), but our subsequent seasons post-title win, heck - even just the second half of that title season, showed how extremely little we created when the opposition stood off us. If it wasn't for some fortunate breaks, the immense belief or a player like Mahrez providing some magic, we would not have had the results to get us to the title. 

Today we don't have Mahrez. We only have two regular starters from that season (Schmeichel and Vardy) and of those it's really only Vardy who would dictate the way we play. He's getting on a bit and he's shown he's just as deadly at this age and in a possession based team. 

I agree with you that it revolves around personnel, but I don't mind Rodgers setting the bar high for this team. It's not a pragmatic style, but I do sympathise with and understand his method, even when we don't have our key players available. It's about creating this continuity and familiarity with the style and system, which can benefit in the long term - which I know is an alien concept in football today, but it doesn't make it less relevant. 

You can argue that it's naïve or you can conversely argue that Rodgers has a lot of belief in these players. 

The Vardy conundrum keeps on persisting despite our manager changes and it is odd that we don't acknowledge how much he means to our system. Nacho, Perez and Slim are all decent players, but they're too easy to defend against if they're playing as lone strikers. I'd actually put a case forward to try Barnes as a striker when Vardy is out, simply because he can drop back and hold up the ball, play one-two's etc, but he also has that searing pace that many defenders just cannot handle. If only the lad could finish...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

I for one and the whole of Twitter, it seems are sick to the back teeth of this bloody virtue signalling ‘taking the knee.  It should have stopped at the end of last season. BLM is Marxist political movement, do they really support that?!  Please tell me they’re not still having drinks breaks? Haven’t watched a game other than the burnley one, don’t remember it then. 

I wouldn’t take ‘the twitter community’ as a moral lead... it is an echo chamber that enables the perpetuation of irrational opinions, lies, falsehood, and hate speech (among other things....)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Last time I was in the states, a couple of years ago, every bar we went into had the baseball on the TVs in the background. Nobody seemed to be paying any real

attention to it, other than keeping half an eye on the score. Football currently feels like that to me. It’s there. In the background. Like an app on my phone. I momentarily engage with it here and there, but by and large it’s background noise. Have never felt

so disenfranchised from the game in 50 years. Current performances, (last 10 months), really don’t help. A team that seems to be serving up background football in empty stadiums and losing its way. 

I agreed with finishing last season off, but to restart in the current global pandemic climate makes it seem like it really all is just about money and nothing else.

did ANYONE watch the England vs Wales international friendly in an empty Wembley on BBC1 last weekend? What an utterly pointless match.

17 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

It’s not about creating a political statement it’s about the black community receiving the same basic rights that the rest of us do. Hope this helps. 

How has BLM helped the black community?

Slogans, statements, images and advertising

Equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images. Players must not reveal undergarments that show political, religious, personal slogans, statements or images, or advertising other than the manufacturer`s logo. For any offence the player and/or the team will be sanctioned by the competition organiser, national football association or to be justified by FIFA.

Just now, bridport007 said:

Equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images. Players must not reveal undergarments that show political, religious, personal slogans, statements or images, or advertising other than the manufacturer`s logo. For any offence the player and/or the team will be sanctioned by the competition organiser, national football association or to be justified by FIFA.

Again re-enforcing the view that all the PL care about is money....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Defeats sicken me to the core. Even my sleep was fitful last night. Then I wake up and remember why I feel a nagging depression that momentarily I couldn't place. 

Pathetic really. But that's what makes the highs so good!

I understand. But you really should find a hobby.:whistle: Take the edge off.

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

I hate how quickly they get up, it's a reminder of how shot my knees are. 

The only applicable answer. I saw one Twitter user yesterday (or Saturday) demanding “stop it please, stop it now”

really? I don’t understand how it bothers anyone

19 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

The only applicable answer. I saw one Twitter user yesterday (or Saturday) demanding “stop it please, stop it now”

really? I don’t understand how it bothers anyone

It's boring. Much in the way a minute's silence for the war dead would be equally boring, were it held every week and not just November

8 hours ago, Ceirboy said:

It isn’t really an odd comment. Using football as a vehicle for political statements Is not necessary, it adds another string to an already messy bow.

You have Really missed the point, havent you...Taking The knee,in sport is the Real obvious Vehicle..!!

1 hour ago, bridport007 said:

...you are talking about it.......AWARENESS!!!