Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's darkly hilarious that by the end of this year, when need for global cooperation is bigger than ever, it's a strong chance that we'll have the four most powerful nations on the planet all being run by self-interested nationalist fridge magnets. Two (China and Russia) in perpetuity, two (India and USA) by those who would very much like perpetuity and intend to bend the rules as much as they can get away with in that regard.

Einstein had it right about such sentiments a century ago. He knew where it would lead.

Calling them all fridge magnets amused me.

34 minutes ago, Tuna said:

@Wymsey didn't you have a similar experience on the tube recently?

There was a comment on here not long ago about the same situation. It's a touchy subject and Kamara sums it up very well. To say 'well I was just being polite mate!!! It's their fault not mine!!' is to ignore the intricacies of life in 2024. I don't agree with that stance, but it's reality. 

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

There was a comment on here not long ago about the same situation. It's a touchy subject and Kamara sums it up very well. To say 'well I was just being polite mate!!! It's their fault not mine!!' is to ignore the intricacies of life in 2024. I don't agree with that stance, but it's reality. 

Even if declining the offer it costs nothing to be polite and friendly. No need to take offence. On the tube I would be on particular guard so doubt would have much to do with strangers. Sad but true

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Even if declining the offer it costs nothing to be polite and friendly. No need to take offence. On the tube I would be on particular guard so doubt would have much to do with strangers. Sad but true

Don't think anyone needs to be polite to someone they believe is subjecting them to ignorant and discriminatory behaviour. Kamara sums it up well. Again, not what I agree with, but the rules we must all play by to maintain our social licence in 2024.

55 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Don't think anyone needs to be polite to someone they believe is subjecting them to ignorant and discriminatory behaviour. Kamara sums it up well. Again, not what I agree with, but the rules we must all play by to maintain our social licence in 2024.

I think politeness will disappear as everyone becomes too afraid in case they are misunderstood. Some like to take offence rather than see that although offered in error no offence was meant

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I think politeness will disappear as everyone becomes too afraid in case they are misunderstood. Some like to take offence rather than see that although offered in error no offence was meant

Understand your point and agree with it, but you can’t risk triggering peoples mental health in this way. It’s ignorant and luckily there’s enough kamaras around that get it. Said woman may have been belittled all her life for simply being a woman, and you don’t need someone naively rubbing it in like this 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Understand your point and agree with it, but you can’t risk triggering peoples mental health in this way. It’s ignorant and luckily there’s enough kamaras around that get it. Said woman may have been belittled all her life for simply being a woman, and you don’t need someone naively rubbing it in like this 

Agree you have to be very careful as you just don't know and to be honest I would advise keeping to yourself before trying to appear the gallant gentleman 

• Like 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate

The period 1990 - 1992 really was the bollocks wasn't it?

Absolutely certain mankind peaked at that point.

It may have just been the acid however.

56 minutes ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

I'm thinking 1996-2001 was the zenith tbh.

Who knew Agent Smith was right about it being the "peak of civilisation"?

59 minutes ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

It was the Ecstasy rather than the acid for me but yeah, I would sell my wife and kids to go back to 1991.

• Like 2

The transfer threads are the best threads on the forum

Few taking themselves seriously, next to no one claiming they have the answer - and they seem to upset everyone without a sense of humour. 

University system falling apart? Now that's a shock:rolleyes:

Seen this a lot now, graduates having been charged £27k+ alongside living etc then being told they should contribute afterwards lol VC's etc all earning £100k + alongside other senior staff whilst they offer low wages to others. System is failing and surprised it's taken this long to sink ont

Comes days after an article showed international students were given much significantly lower grade requirements due to how much they're charged. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

University system falling apart? Now that's a shock:rolleyes:

Seen this a lot now, graduates having been charged £27k+ alongside living etc then being told they should contribute afterwards lol VC's etc all earning £100k + alongside other senior staff whilst they offer low wages to others. System is failing and surprised it's taken this long to sink ont

Comes days after an article showed international students were given much significantly lower grade requirements due to how much they're charged. 

Sounds like a cry for help for a failing system, people will know they can get a good enough well paid job in 2023 without saddling themselves with £75K worth of debt.

Not seeing a student debt repayment line on my payslip every month is wonderful. 

I guess I knew this anyway but some (many?) folk are totally ignorant of current home and world affairs.

I was chatting to two mates this evening and I just mused if we would get called-up for the Citizens Army.

'Citizens Army, whats that then?' Came the reply.

I said you know, the head of the army has mentioned it.

'Why's that then, is it something to do with Ukraine?'

I said that is part of it but the situation in the middle east is very worrying as well as volatile and added that it has also been suggested we are actually in a pre-war situation.

I mentioned Israel, Gaza, Hamas, what is happening in the Red Sea, Iran possibly attacked an American Army base and so on, and was met with a shrug of the shoulders. 'Dunno', one said, 'Never watch the news'.

Although surprised, I think, in a way, I envy their ignorance.

21 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Sounds like a cry for help for a failing system, people will know they can get a good enough well paid job in 2023 without saddling themselves with £75K worth of debt.

Not seeing a student debt repayment line on my payslip every month is wonderful. 

Education is more than getting a job, it broadens the mind and improves thinking skills

22 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Maybe for the majority of uni's, but for the top uni's it's about creating a global network for life and getting job opportunities. £75k depreciated over 50 years of work is nothing, if it even opens a few doors for you. You don't pay £200k to do an MBA at Harvard, you pay it to build your network and be part of the club. 

Am currently off sick with a viral infection, chesty cough, which started on Friday.

Started new antibiotics yesterday, as prescribed by the GP.

Just had a walk outside, but felt low on energy and chest feeling quite heavy.

How long should I be off for?..