Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Education is more than getting a job, it broadens the mind and improves thinking skills

The most successful students tend to be those with the highest self-esteem and motivation. Combine those things with good social skills, and things usually turn out very well. But education also makes you realise the limits of your knowledge and capabilities. Without the three attributes of self-esteem, motivation and social skills, plus the realisation of one's limits, then the whole experience can turn out to be far less positive than expected, even if you do end up with good qualifications.

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

The most successful students tend to be those with the highest self-esteem and motivation. Combine those things with good social skills, and things usually turn out very well. But education also makes you realise the limits of your knowledge and capabilities. Without the three attributes of self-esteem, motivation and social skills, plus the realisation of one's limits, then the whole experience can turn out to be far less positive than expected, even if you do end up with good qualifications.

Define ‘successful’. 

If the answer is ‘grade’, then I’m just going to point out that isn’t the point of education either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Define ‘successful’. 

If the answer is ‘grade’, then I’m just going to point out that isn’t the point of education either. 

Since you ask, I'd say successful students are those that fulfill their ambitions both within the education system, then in their subsequent careers and in their lives generally.

As for education broadening the mind, that isn't always the case. Students frequently seem to have, for example, incredibly narrow-minded political views.

As for good grades not being the point of education per se, I did imply that, when mentioning that qualifications don't necessarily equate to having had a positive experience within the education system.

30 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Since you ask, I'd say successful students are those that fulfill their ambitions both within the education system, then in their subsequent careers and in their lives generally.

As for education broadening the mind, that isn't always the case. Students frequently seem to have, for example, incredibly narrow-minded political views.

As for good grades not being the point of education per se, I did imply that, when mentioning that qualifications don't necessarily equate to having had a positive experience within the education system.

Well then, yeh, education isn’t that.

At a dinner last night and the after dinner speaker was Alistair Campbell - what a self promoting tw@t, spent the whole time telling the audience he needs to leave his political agenda at home then proceeded to spend the next half an hour rimming Keir Starmer. He just can’t help himself, not remotely funny either.  

Guest David Oldfields Gate
9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

At a dinner last night and the after dinner speaker was Alistair Campbell - what a self promoting tw@t, spent the whole time telling the audience he needs to leave his political agenda at home then proceeded to spend the next half an hour rimming Keir Starmer. He just can’t help himself, not remotely funny either.  

Glad it's not just me. He changed UK politics for the worse. The normalisation of spin and lies to an industrial level. Politics was always a greasy horrible game but in the past you still had something resembling interviews that were somewhat honest and somewhat answered the question.

Now, since him and Mandelson, we are treated to a political class chosen on their ability to handle the media and relinquish responsibility rather than any other positive attribute.

Hope the food was nice though.

19 minutes ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

Glad it's not just me. He changed UK politics for the worse. The normalisation of spin and lies to an industrial level. Politics was always a greasy horrible game but in the past you still had something resembling interviews that were somewhat honest and somewhat answered the question.

Now, since him and Mandelson, we are treated to a political class chosen on their ability to handle the media and relinquish responsibility rather than any other positive attribute.

Hope the food was nice though.

Food was naff and the gents toilets flooded!

Kings Cross

424721790_122126617844132870_46002878607

Four different Operators - This is one of the reason the railways are so bad. There doesn't seem to be a lot of competition on the same routes.

1 hour ago, LCFC-92 said:

Probably the most relevant thread...

But just wanted put it out there that we have had no Gas for 4 days now due to a major incident whereby water mains have burst and entered the Gas Mains.

Although it's not their fault, it's Cadent's responsibility to correct the damages. They've been absolutely fantastic.

They've supplied Electric Heaters, Oil heaters, socks, blankets, electric hobs and also a JustEat Voucher!

I know it's a billion pound business, and everyone pays ridiculous monthly bills towards Gas & electric...but Cadent have been brilliant. 

Just had our Gas put back on now!

You won’t need your voucher now then. Dibs. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LCFC-92 said:

Probably the most relevant thread...

But just wanted put it out there that we have had no Gas for 4 days now due to a major incident whereby water mains have burst and entered the Gas Mains.

Although it's not their fault, it's Cadent's responsibility to correct the damages. They've been absolutely fantastic.

They've supplied Electric Heaters, Oil heaters, socks, blankets, electric hobs and also a JustEat Voucher!

I know it's a billion pound business, and everyone pays ridiculous monthly bills towards Gas & electric...but Cadent have been brilliant. 

Just had our Gas put back on now!

We're still waiting to be switched back on, at £70 a day compensation I'm not too bothered, especially now the weather's turned milder. It will be £280 by tomorrow.

Like you say can't fault Cadent, they have been brilliant. More than can be said for Severn Trent, if they had come out to fix the leaks straight away, instead of leaving it this wouldn't have happened or at least not been as bad.

2 hours ago, steve555 said:

We're still waiting to be switched back on, at £70 a day compensation I'm not too bothered, especially now the weather's turned milder. It will be £280 by tomorrow.

Like you say can't fault Cadent, they have been brilliant. More than can be said for Severn Trent, if they had come out to fix the leaks straight away, instead of leaving it this wouldn't have happened or at least not been as bad.

Yeah I totally agree. To be fair, we are zone 1 and weren't expecting to be back on any time soon so it was a nice suprise when he turned up at the door.

Like you say, it softens the blow when you know your getting compo - which, I hear is sorted automatically to your energy provider?

7 hours ago, LCFC-92 said:

Yeah I totally agree. To be fair, we are zone 1 and weren't expecting to be back on any time soon so it was a nice suprise when he turned up at the door.

Like you say, it softens the blow when you know your getting compo - which, I hear is sorted automatically to your energy provider?

As I understand it , it's paid by your supplier, within 4 weeks of the incident ending,either by cheque or taken off your bill.

We are zone 2 , seems like we are going to be one of the last to get reconnected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve555 said:

As I understand it , it's paid by your supplier, within 4 weeks of the incident ending,either by cheque or taken off your bill.

We are zone 2 , seems like we are going to be one of the last to get reconnected.

Hopefully won't be too long now then but like you say, at least it's compensated and it's certainly a bit warmer than a few days ago.

• Like 1