Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Wolves Pre-match

So my take on this game, Wolves will be a very tough test. Similar to West Ham at home in the fact they will sit behind the ball. 3 Cbs , not much space and block every inch for Vards. This is why he hasn’t scored vs Wolves because they are 1 of the worst teams vs our style. They are happy to defend and not try and beat us.

They will come and be happy to draw but hope to knick something from a set piece of Jiminez making something out of crosses/hold up play. If they took us on we’d crush them, but there very cute in their approach.

If Evans is back I think we should set up 4141 and go for it in an aggressive game. This will show if BR is adaptable or if he thinks because this 5 at the back style worked away vs teams who fancy their chances to beat us, that it’ll work in a different type of game. I was fuming vs West Ham pre game as I could see what would happen.

Now I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we draw, but let’s not set up to draw please.

Kasper

Albrighton Forfana Evans Justin

Mendy Tielemens Praet

Under Vardy Barnes

I say this will cause them more problems and more likely we will open them up with more bodies and movement.

Kasper
             Justin Forfana Evans

Albrighton                           Fuchs/Thomas

Mendy Tielemans

Maddison/Under Vardy Barnes

This will be tight and compact but will find it incredibly difficult to break the lines. Going for a 0-0.

First option will mean it could go either way, we score first , great and then take it from there, if we concede first, open and attack and we should have some quality in there to create.

Second option will mean more tight, they won’t get many chances but nor will we. Very dull and probably hoping for a set piece to win it. Problem with this is, we are much likely to lose rather than win when it comes to a game of set pieces. We are also extremely likely to lose with this system, IF, we concede first.

Id like us to go for the first option, horses for courses due to this opposition, and take it from there. Keep it open, induce them out and fight till the end. If we get get ahead, sit and invite them out which would likely work into our hands with the space. Concede first and at least we can attack with our more offensive style.

I expect him to go for the 2nd formation and style. I’d be not as happy as 4141 but less annoyed than playing it vs West Ham, purely because Wolves are more dangerous.

1 big thing for me though, IF we play the latter 5221 formation, then IF we go a goal down...BR HAS to act quick at HT latest to changing. We can be waiting till 60-65 minutes to change. Going behind in these games with 5 at the back, vs teams that are strong at the back and offer no space is a guaranteed loss.

Mendy in the middle, Fuchs Albrighton and Justin at the back , all workmen like and scrappers but in a tight game when trailing we might as well walk off the pitch. Everything is on Tielemens to create and when he looks up he sees Vardy surrounded by 3 CBS so we rely on Barnes taking on 3/4 men usually going into a cul-de- sac then having to desperately try and win the ball back, usually giving away free kicks and killing time.

This is what I’m hoping to avoid, it happens far to often in games like this and this for me is the big test for BR. Are you a top manager or are you unable to influence games where a tricky situation appears? We’ll see Sunday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Fear this one , been at the top of our game now for last few it’s typical of the team and manager to drop one like this 

this will be much more of a test than Leeds who are really not much more than a good Championship team on steroids. Wolves like these sort of games and their manager will have them tuned perfectly with no midweek games. I’m a big fan of Coady and Boly who are a real threat at set pieces too. 

A draw would not be a bad result but I do fear a defeat for some reason despite recent very good form. 

• Like 1

A fascinating prospect, our home league form is the only blot on our copybook this season and these are one of the worst teams to play but I still think this will be another obstacle we overcome.

I think the key will be Barnes and Ünder getting round the sides of their defence, whether that would be better with someone like Iheanacho/Slimani as a false 9 and trying to draw out some space or at least hold the ball up and lay it off I'm not sure. Would be astonishing not to start Vardy but he's been well handled by Wolves whenever we've played them.

I think we will win this 1-0 from Barnes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

A fascinating prospect, our home league form is the only blot on our copybook this season and these are one of the worst teams to play but I still think this will be another obstacle we overcome.

I think the key will be Barnes and Ünder getting round the sides of their defence, whether that would be better with someone like Iheanacho/Slimani as a false 9 and trying to draw out some space or at least hold the ball up and lay it off I'm not sure. Would be astonishing not to start Vardy but he's been well handled by Wolves whenever we've played them.

I'm thinking/hoping both teams will play football and we'll win 5-2!

Vardy and Madders with all the goals and assists between them!

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Vardy must play for me. His link up play with Barnes and Under has been superb and I feel the change in his game will see his contribution in this kind of game improve. Also its a club he hasn't scored against and we know Vardy loves breaking records 

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Vardy must play for me. His link up play with Barnes and Under has been superb and I feel the change in his game will see his contribution in this kind of game improve. Also its a club he hasn't scored against and we know Vardy loves breaking records 

Hell yeah, Vardy must play - I don't think we should go with the no striker Gaurdiola option and Nacho's performance was excellent on Thursday but I reckon its probably safe to say now enough time has passed...

Goals: A ricochet and a deflection.

Assist: Scuffed attempted shot fell well wide of the back post and looked like an intended assist for about ten seconds.

:ph34r:

Looking forward to a chuckle when Mr Stringer is talking about  Nom Police Mendy in the middle tomorrow. Need the lad to have a very good game.

I see 4-3-3 tomorrow with 
             Kasper

Justin Fofana Evans Thomas   

Nom-Police

Tielemans. Maddison 

Under.   Vardy.     Barnes

or Albrighton for Under initially to protect the flanks 

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Would be astonishing not to start Vardy but he's been well handled by Wolves whenever we've played them.

Not just Wolves but in home games Vardy doesn't score very often compared to away, so I can see the thinking behind it but Iheanacho rarely ever performs in the league when given a chance, it seems when more is at stake he crumbles.

• Like 1

If ever there was a time to go back to a 4-1-4-1 it would be now. For the first time in a long time our team has a left side/right side balance with Under. Tielemans can play ahead of Mendy and pick defensive balls to knock forward as he already does. Maddison/Praet can push further into the no.9 role taking balls from wing backs/wingers and interchangeable play from central mid which hasnt always happened. Barnes/Under (unlike Perez) should be into that box on both sides with purpose and haring down those flanks for positioning and speed. I shouldn't slate Perez too much but I'm still baffled why we went for him in the first place when every opponent knows that he lacks pace and therefore he resorts to trying to dancing around peoples toes and look for foils.

Only way we get best out of Vardy at home is by having other threats. It's been the problem at home for years, but hopefully we're starting to see some consistent performances from wider areas. It's an important decision that Rodgers has to make, could be a day for the trickery of Maddison and Under, or playing Iheanacho from wide. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Only way we get best out of Vardy at home is by having other threats. It's been the problem at home for years, but hopefully we're starting to see some consistent performances from wider areas. It's an important decision that Rodgers has to make, could be a day for the trickery of Maddison and Under, or playing Iheanacho from wide. 

Under and Vardy seem to click -- a front line of Barnes Vardy and Under should be able to unlock the Wolves, (I hope!)

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

Praet as a RWB? Huh?

Kasper

Justin - Fofana - Evans

Albrighton                              Fuchs

Mendy

Tielemans 

Maddison                 Barnes

Vardy 

I'd keep Fofana central. he's excelled there and I think Evans could do that LCB role fine, same with Fuchs as a LWB. This'll probably be Fofana's toughest test, up against an in-form and quality striker like Jimenez. He likes to drop deep sometimes and join in the play so Mendy will be just as key trying to keep him quiet.

Maddison will probably be a bit more central but if he can find the pockets of space he was doing last night and control the game in their half, while Tielemans does so in our half, it could work well.

I'm confident of a win purely based on our own form and how we're ticking over quite nicely.

I'm glad Vardy was rested last night. Sunday is a much more important, tougher game and we need him fully-fit. 

T

Not wing back as such. Just right side of a narrow midfield. Forfana covers him, Praet can dictate play from right sided areas (as he's done so well this season), allows Evans to hopefully nullify Jiminez and we have lots of ball players on the park to break down what will be a well organised side that usually nullify us.

19 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

I like the look of this but you’ll need to find a spot for Maddison probably in place of Under.

What I like is the fact this formation is not ‘trying’ to find a space for anyone. It is a logical, experienced and balanced side with round pegs in round holes which is needed against a side such as Wolves, that makes no apologies. Maddison off the bench in the latter stages would be good here as would Praet.