Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Brendan - trophy winner or not?

Brendan - trophy winner or not?   

227 members have voted

1. 1. Will we win a trophy with Brendan?

4 minutes ago, SO1 said:

That's the thing about top level management. The higher you climb the less patience there is to build especially with owners like Abramovich. Be interested to know if Rodgers has kind of realationship.

Yeah that's true. Rodgers aside not many top level managers last longer than 3-5 years at clubs nowadays given how short term the demands are. You either do really well and hit a bit of a glass ceiling and leave while your stock is high or it goes the other way and you perform poorly, or hang around long enough until it ends up that way and you get the sack.

3 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

We've won 4 trophies in 136 years- that's not ultimately going to be the deciding factor in whether he's a success here or not.

Agree with this, not saying it's right but it's changed days also, trophies define the success of a manager much less than they did in the past, outside the very top clubs of course.

For example if Rodgers was here five years and qualified for the CL twice that's a far greater feat than a league cup or FA Cup.

• Like 1

This might sound really trivial but it's a bit of a gripe I have with Brendan. I think he needs to change the narrative with the media when talking about our ambitions. A few times he's downplayed us and says things along the lines of we're massively overachieving. Even if this is true I think it could allow complacency to creep into the squad and create a ceiling we can't break through. 

Not saying this is necessarily the case but you never know

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah that's true. Rodgers aside not many top level managers last longer than 3-5 years at clubs nowadays given how short term the demands are. You either do really well and hit a bit of a glass ceiling and leave while your stock is high or it goes the other way and you perform poorly, or hang around long enough until it ends up that way and you get the sack.

Maybe he thinks he'll only have one shot at a club that has the ability to win the European Cup. Arsenal and Chelsea both seem wrong if that's what he's looking to do. He needs money and time to get the most out of the current squads and not sure either one have the patience. The perfect scenerio is this club with more money to buy and keep the top talent from leaving at a rapid rate. Just shows that managing a career in top level football is a crap shoot.

Just now, foxfanazer said:

This might sound really trivial but it's a bit of a gripe I have with Brendan. I think he needs to change the narrative with the media when talking about our ambitions. A few times he's downplayed us and says things along the lines of we're massively overachieving. Even if this is true I think it could allow complacency to creep into the squad and create a ceiling we can't break through. 

If he didn't, people would be complaining about his ego.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He fully believed the hype last season before Christmas when we were doing well and wanted the media to focus on us as title contenders. I think he made the players believe we were the real deal and could go toe to toe with Liverpool last season, but we got a rude awakening and we never recovered after that. I like him playing it down this season in front of the media which allows us to go quietly under the radar. 

I want to vote yes but I’m unsure.

I like him, he’s doing well here and the negative in that is he’ll attract bigger clubs and I can’t see him saying no to the right club/job.

Regarding wining a trophy, here is a list of all of the teams that have won major trophies in the last 10 seasons. This means no Championships, no Super Cups, no Charity Shields:

9. Swansea City: one major trophy (League Cup)

= Birmingham City: one major trophy (League Cup)

7. Wigan Athletic: one major trophy (FA Cup)

6. Leicester City: one major trophy (Premier League)

5. Liverpool: two major trophies (1x Champions League, 1x Premier League and 1x League Cup‎)

Credit: PA

4. Arsenal: three major trophies (4x FA Cups)

3. Manchester United: six major trophies (2x Premier Leagues, 2x League Cups, 1x FA Cup and 1x Europa League)

2. Manchester City: 10 major trophies (4x Premier Leagues, 4x League Cups and 2x FA Cups)

1. Chelsea: 11 major trophies (3x Premier Leagues, 4x FA Cups, 2x Europa Leagues, 1x Champions League and 1x League Cup)

• Tottenham Hotspur who have Jose Mourinho, a coach that has won the Champions League twice, Serie A, the Premier League twice and La Liga have won ZERO trophies in that time.
  • Everton who have Carlo Ancelotti, a coach that was won the Champions League twice, the Premier League, the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 have won ZERO trophies in that time.
  • Leeds, Villa, West Ham, Wolves, Southampton all pretty big clubs have won ZERO trophies in that time.

That should put it into perspective over how hard it is to win a trophy in the current Premier League era. Will Rodgers win us one? I'd love him to do so as I really rate him as a coach and I think the improvement in the club under him has been phenomenal. But it's going to be very, very difficult to do so and requires a fair bit of luck along the way. And let's be honest in 15/16, luck gave us the best moment that will ever happen to this club in it's history. In fact even if we somehow won the Premier League again or even the Champions League, it would not be as special as 15/16. That was IMO the greatest sporting achievement of any club, ever! I sometimes think Coronavirus was the price we all had to pay for being able to witness that as fans! I think that was all of our luck for 134 years bottled into one season, even if we truly did deserve to win it!

I voted yes to the poll. If we don't win one, I think we will come really close. In fact more than missing out on the Champions League last season, I was more upset we lost to Villa in the cup semi final. As the game at the Etihad showed us this season, we are capable of beating Man City, even if it's 70/30 in their favour. And whilst getting into the Champions League is awesome, it's silverware that you remember the most. Martin O'Neil will always remain a legend for reaching 3 cup finals and winning two, and having been to all 3 finals, the two wins were brilliant.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

Guest Markyblue

No chance i read, well for a start every team that enters a competition has a chance, and one with the talent and squad that this team has certainly has a good chance.  Whether it actually happens will depend on various things happening but "no chance" behave.