Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Brendan - trophy winner or not?

Brendan - trophy winner or not?   

227 members have voted

1. 1. Will we win a trophy with Brendan?

I actually really fancy us to win the Europa League this season, I think our game style really suits the competition.

We look like we are taking it seriously and at present, I can’t see anyone in the competition who I think is better than us.

Obviously there are a few other factors at play here, who drops down from the CL, who finds form at the right time, the implications of COVID, but right now I think we are one of the favourites.

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I actually really fancy us to win the Europa League this season, I think our game style really suits the competition.

We look like we are taking it seriously and at present, I can’t see anyone in the competition who I think is better than us.

Obviously there are a few other factors at play here, who drops down from the CL, who finds form at the right time, the implications of COVID, but right now I think we are one of the favourites.

They'll be a few big boys come out the CL. I've not looked at current group standings but if Sevilla come into the EL then its a competition they take very seriously and that trophy is practically their own. 

No manager is guaranteed to win trophies (look at spurs for example) especially not with Leicester's budget compared to 5 or 6 of the other clubs. 

But if Brendan keeps on reaching quarter finals and semi finals and finishing at the right end of the table and qualified for Europe like he did last season he has a good a chance as anyone else. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

They'll be a few big boys come out the CL. I've not looked at current group standings but if Sevilla come into the EL then its a competition they take very seriously and that trophy is practically their own. 

Sevilla have pretty much qualified for the next round of the CL so we should avoid them.

There are a few big teams who could drop in though - notability Group B with Real and Inter is wide open, Atalanta or Ajax from Group D and whoever finish third in Man Utds Group - currently PSG.

Outside of these 3 though there are no stand outs.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Agreed, that's why I think winning the competition is beyond us at the moment. I can see us getting to the Semi-Finals though which I still think would be impressive.

As a club we were spoilt with the wonderful Premier League win. But if you take that out of the equation we still go strength to strength. If we finish top 6 again this season that is arguably the bigger achievement than winning a trophy, even though I'd personally prefer the trophy. If we break top 6 again, probably at the expense of Arsenal, that would be two seasons in a row and arguably we would be a top 6 club at that point! Then we aren't just a Premier League team, but a European team.

Looking at Spurs, I think Levy hiring Mourinho was part of their plan in that once their new stadium was finished and their players at their physical peak, it was time to appoint a proven trophy winning manager to get some silverware. Perhaps Rodgers doesn't win us a trophy, but if by the end of his tenure here we've been in Europe every season, have our new training academy and stadium improvements, I could see Top going for a proven manager to follow him. 

That said I like having a British manager and would love it if Rodgers is here for 5-10 years with plenty of trophies won during that time! Although we've chopped and changed managers quite a bit, I feel like we are the type of club that would end up with a long-term coach that gets the club. It's no surprise to me that among our most loved managers are O'Neil and Pearson for example. 

• Like 2

Personally I can't see it, actually winning a trophy means performing in a number of high pressure games and our track record in those is very very poor. The Villa semi final last year is a perfect example, we set up wrong in the first game and then shat our pants in the second game, both the managers and the players were equally to blame for us not getting a day out at Wembley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I don't hink it's out of the question, all depends n getting a bit of luck when the CL clubs drop into the competition though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Personally I can't see it, actually winning a trophy means performing in a number of high pressure games and our track record in those is very very poor. The Villa semi final last year is a perfect example, we set up wrong in the first game and then shat our pants in the second game, both the managers and the players were equally to blame for us not getting a day out at Wembley.

Let just brush over the fact Orjan Nyland got MOTM in the away leg and we had 22 shots and 68% possession in the away leg and 21 shots and 70% possession in the home game. 

Villa had 4 shots on target and scored 3 goals over two legs.

Sometimes its just not your day!

Winning stuff have a massive slice of luck involved especially in the cups. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

As long as we don't come up against Liverpool or anyone else Rodgers may overthink against, I think we can go all the way in one competition in thr next 1-2 years but this depends on if he stays around for long enough. 

We certainly, when fit, have a very decent squad of players now. Here's a mischievous question now though, if Rodgers was managing Liverpool instead of Klopp, do you think they'd win the Premiership or Champions League again with their wealth of talent?

13 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Agree with this, not saying it's right but it's changed days also, trophies define the success of a manager much less than they did in the past, outside the very top clubs of course.

For example if Rodgers was here five years and qualified for the CL twice that's a far greater feat than a league cup or FA Cup.

..would rather the cups!!!

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..would rather the 

Top draw manager no doubt about it, we need to give him more time; and he is still learning from his and the players mistakes. At the moment it's a No short term, as we lack consistency with our results; longterm 2 to 3 seasons if we can keep him, and replace Vardy with someone as competent, then yes I have no doubts he will achieve silverware with Leicester 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Let just brush over the fact Orjan Nyland got MOTM in the away leg and we had 22 shots and 68% possession in the away leg and 21 shots and 70% possession in the home game. 

Villa had 4 shots on target and scored 3 goals over two legs.

Sometimes its just not your day!

Winning stuff have a massive slice of luck involved especially in the cups. 

. ..I  think the stats masks just how poor we were in both legs.

We went on to put 4 past them the next time we played them having put 4 past them prior to the first leg.

We need to stop kidding ourselves, we were embarrassing over two legs. 

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

. ..I  think the stats masks just how poor we were in both legs.

We went on to put 4 past them the next time we played them having put 4 past them prior to the first leg.

We need to stop kidding ourselves, we were embarrassing over two legs. 

We weren't at anywhere near our best, but the use of the word is embarrassing is just silly.

We had 43 shots, and there keeper got MOTM in the second leg, another day we would have won.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

We weren't at anywhere near our best, but the use of the word is embarrassing is just silly.

We had 43 shots, and there keeper got MOTM in the second leg, another day we would have won.

...can you remember the first 10 minutes in the first leg, we passed it around at the back because we did not know how to get out of our own half!!!

I am sure we were playing with just six in our team and they had 26, because that's how it seemed. Lucky the crowd did not fall asleep at the time.

You keep quoting your stats.

i don't think you can answer this question. Has he improved us since he has taken over - of course he has. We were mid-table and now expect top 6 (whether that's right or wrong). 

The thing about Brendan, for some reason, from some he just invites criticism, even if he gets it right. 5-2 against Man City - things went in our favour so we got "lucky". 3-0 against Liverpool - all his fault. 

Man City, Liverpool, Man United, Spurs and Chelsea all have better resources then us. Each has a very good squad (albeit United have a mediocre manager). You then add Everton, Wolves and Arsenal to the mix, the league all of a sudden looks very competitive. Two/three cups into so many teams is difficult. 4 places into 7/8 aiming for it is just as difficult. Its probably the hardest time to be a city manager despite the resources available. 

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...can you remember the first 10 minutes in the first leg, we passed it around at the back because we did not know how to get out of our own half!!!

I am sure we were playing with just six in our team and they had 26, because that's how it seemed. Lucky the crowd did not fall asleep at the time.

You keep quoting your stats.

So you judge a 180 minutes of football on the first 10 minutes?

As I said did we play well, no we didn't.

To call it an embarrassment is going over the top.

We have the players, the facilities and the staff to win trophies. I'm more confident of that now than under any other manager.

Of course that doesn't mean we will, there is always the small matter of the opposition to deal with, but we have shown on our day we can beat anyone (except Liverpool) but we've also shown we are capable of losing to anyone. 

Will we win a trophy under Rodgers? Time will tell.

Are we in the best position to win a trophy for decades? Yes I do believe we are.

(I know we have won trophies in the last few decades but generally as the underdog not a team that should be winning trophies)

giphy.gif

The question should be can we, not will we. Definitely we can, we could have done under any of our past few managers, as we've had a good enough team. There's a fair bit of just doing it on the day in knockout trophies and you could get all the way playing lesser teams, and plenty of plumb average managers have won the League Cup and even the FA Cup.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

giphy.gif

The question should be can we, not will we. Definitely we can, we could have done under any of our past few managers, as we've had a good enough team. There's a fair bit of just doing it on the day in knockout trophies and you could get all the way playing lesser teams, and plenty of plumb average managers have won the League Cup and even the FA Cup.

..in any season, that question could be asked!!!

The correct question has been asked, all about supporter expectations and aspirations.

The final part of your post says it all.