Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

I wasn't there!

A thread to complement I was there! 

I've been lucky enough to have been present at most of the monumentally famous matches in our history since the early 70's. My first full proper season was following the 1971 Div 2 Champions. I went to every game in the '74 FA Cup run, I was away at Orient (but I didn't trash the goalposts), I was in the DD at the Oxford great escape, I went to every Wembley play off final and League Cups, the last game at Filbo (rip), the first at the new place, Div 1, Championship and PL title matches and every home UCL match. Most big moments (even Yeovil away, honest) but there's a handful I missed. If only I had a time machine. 

Cambridge play off semi at Filbo. 

Arsenal 3-3

League Cup final replay at Hillsborough. 

Man Utd 5-3

... but the two that bug me the most are Villa and Liverpool at home in that season. I had a good reason and should be happy with the other 17 that I went to but I feel sad that I wasn't there when Vardy scored the goal of the season. 

How about you? 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
Just now, The whole world smiles said:

Bruge away it looked absolutely incredible. I could only make one European away day and ended up doing Copenhagen for some reason with hindsight it was a strange choice as a pint of beer was about 12 quid. 

Still could have been worse I could have picked Porto! 

There were pubs doing it a lot cheaper to be fair and porto was a superb couple of days " minus the actual game".😃

I was/wasn't there when we beat Man U 4-3 with Ken Keyworth and Denis Law scoring hat-tricks in April 1963.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=2603

I was there but was locked out, my brother managed to get in so I spent the game outside along with 1000s of  fans with people sat on the gates letting us know what was happening.

Looking back at the attendances I'm not sure why because there was 37002 people there yet a few weeks earlier there was 41622 for the Spurs match (Figures according to Foxestalk History)

Not the biggest disappointment that season as we were in with a chance of doing the double and certainly were favorites for the FA Cup

Just now, Markyblue said:

There were pubs doing it a lot cheaper to be fair and porto was a superb couple of days " minus the actual game".😃

Yeah when you found a boozer cheaper than 8 quid you stayed in it!

Yeah I'm sure you had a decent time in Porto. I did in Copenhagen to be fair but seeing as I only got to do one away European night (at the time I thought possibly ever) I do regret slightly I didn't pick bruge. 

Shame about covid this time round I would have been all over Athens away. Oh well the way the club is ran looks like there will be plenty more! 

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Yeah when you found a boozer cheaper than 8 quid you stayed in it!

Yeah I'm sure you had a decent time in Porto. I did in Copenhagen to be fair but seeing as I only got to do one away European night (at the time I thought possibly ever) I do regret slightly I didn't pick bruge. 

Shame about covid this time round I would have been all over Athens away. Oh well the way the club is ran looks like there will be plenty more! 

Other than the Spanish police i was amazed at how friendly the people were everywhere i went. Although we were exceedingly lucky with the city's we went to

Only went to one of the Champions League games - at home to Brugge. Although I also travelled to Brugge for the away game, I didn't manage to get a ticket.

I promised myself that next time we got into Europe I'd find the time, and the money to go to more of the games. Bloody Covid!

• Like 1

5-3 - I will cherish the memory of being at the pub instead of the match forever. I’ve even written a short screenplay about it. Meant so ****ing much, what an experience. 

also, most of our title winning season. I was in Cape Town from the Villa away to Sunderland away matches, then in Botswana for the rest of the season. One of the best times of my life. 

The Everton game with the title celebration immediately comes to mind, given my lack of attendance that season I felt lucky to be at 2 major days with the Man City away game and Norwich at home, but was gutted to not even be in Leicester on the trophy day. Same for the Monday of the Spurs/Chelsea game, felt detached from it all not being in Leicester. 

I wasn't able to go to any Champions league games either, although was out in Seville. Didn't go to any of the Filbert Street ones either so fingers crossed we get a chance for more big European nights. 

Southampton away last season was, I think, just the seventh away league game I'd missed since we returned to the PL.

As the teams came out and the rain blew sideways into the away end, I sat on my sofa with my beer feeling smug that I'd avoided taking time off to travel down to Southampton in the terrible weather on a Friday night.

Two hours later...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Missed Vardys record goal because I sold my ticket and stayed in the pub, missed the 5-3 against United because I sold my ticket and went out on my motorbike for the day. I also missed the Villa comeback, I left at 2-0 down to go back to the pub.

I've probably not been there for my events than I've been there forlol

Mods, can we have a name change to Leicester_Disloyal? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

United 5-3. I'd just moved back to Manchester (ironically), either a week or couple days before, and the game was on tv so I just though I'd watch it at pub instead of getting train there and back etc. There was about 3 Leicester fans including me and the rest were United fans. I was with my flatmate and she said "I think you'll win" which I laughed off. I was pleased to be wrong.

Went to Selhurst for the league cup semi with a Wimbledon fan who I worked with. Taking the pi55 on way home and told him I was going to a wedding in Ireland in (March or whenever final was held). I was gutted I’d miss Wembley. 
Ended up giving my 2 tickets to a couple of Middlesbrough fans ( good mates no trouble to be caused) and I had to watch it on tv. 

devastated to miss it and that equaliser just made me so happy. So that I could go to the replay and because my Boro mates would be gutted. 

great seats at replay aisle seats as they came down after lifting the trophy. Told the linesman he’d had a mare 

Added

Also missed any chance to go to our away champions league games due to first breaking my ankle and then my wife taking seriously ill not long after

happy to say both wife and ankle are going well now 

Edited by FLAN
Added

18/10/2016 - home champions league vs fc copenhagen 

On the way back from Heathrow Airport after a delayed flight from Tanzania and then luggage going missing still thought I'd make it with my ticket in my hand (eta was bang on kick off) only do be stuck on the M1 due to accident at J17! Didn't reach Leicester till 11pm:doh: