Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

Thought he did ok last night, despite probably not knowing he was going to play until fairly late on - great ball into Nacho for our second. Still think he’s a bit conservative on the ball at times, but I’m sure Brendan knows that and will coach him accordingly. 

Have been thinking though, and I do wonder whether it might be worth giving him a loan in January provided there are no injuries before then? With JJ coming back in November, and Castagne/Bertrand also able to play LB, his game time will continue to be limited (he hadn’t made a match day squad since the Legia game before yesterday). I reckon a few months of weekly football towards the top of the championship could do him the world of good, though admittedly that might not be a popular opinion and it could be argued we still need him for cover here - I just feel he’s stagnating in his development a touch at the minute due to a lack of consistent game time and a loan could kickstart that again. 

9 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Thought he did ok last night, despite probably not knowing he was going to play until fairly late on - great ball into Nacho for our second. Still think he’s a bit conservative on the ball at times, but I’m sure Brendan knows that and will coach him accordingly. 

Have been thinking though, and I do wonder whether it might be worth giving him a loan in January provided there are no injuries before then? With JJ coming back in November, and Castagne/Bertrand also able to play LB, his game time will continue to be limited (he hadn’t made a match day squad since the Legia game before yesterday). I reckon a few months of weekly football towards the top of the championship could do him the world of good, though admittedly that might not be a popular opinion and it could be argued we still need him for cover here - I just feel he’s stagnating in his development a touch at the minute due to a lack of consistent game time and a loan could kickstart that again. 

Sounds logical except that few of our current loaned players get any game time. Two have sustained bad injuries whilst on loan as well.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Sounds logical except that few of our current loaned players get any game time. Two have sustained bad injuries whilst on loan as well.

Will be easier to find Thomas a good loan than those that are currently struggling for game time though as he hasn’t had just youth games for potential clubs to go off / or poor loans previously which is the current issue those players have

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

You’re not wrong, but as @moore_94 says, I think it’d be easier to find him a good loan - I think he’d have no end of suitors.

As for injuries, they can happen at any time, see Fofana. I actually think the physicality of the championship might help toughen him up a bit, too. 

I’m sure Brendan and the club will make the correct decision anyway! 

29 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

I really like him but the most annoying thing about his hesitance (sometimes) to get the ball forward is that his delivery is actually alright - much better than Chilwell's ever was. If you could combine the pair of them you'd have a serious player.

Still learning though isn't he, huge fan.

Edited by Langston

2 minutes ago, Langston said:

I really like him but the most annoying thing about his hesitance (sometimes) to get the ball forward is that his delivery is actually alright - much better than Chilwell's ever was. If you could combine the pair of them you'd have a serious player.

Unfortunately I don’t think the 5 at the back suits him yet, he has always looked better with Barnes or an actual winger in front of him that he can link up with, doesn’t particularly have the skills himself (yet) to take players on and get forward himself

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

You’re not wrong, but as @moore_94 says, I think it’d be easier to find him a good loan - I think he’d have no end of suitors.

As for injuries, they can happen at any time, see Fofana. I actually think the physicality of the championship might help toughen him up a bit, too. 

I’m sure Brendan and the club will make the correct decision anyway! 

Would live to see him go out on loan in the Championship ..  he’d end up being player of the season, come back oozing confidence and fit right in. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Langston said:

Exactly, time on his side for sure. Just don’t want him going down the Hamza route! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just me who saw his outrageous pass to Iheanacho for the second goal then?

No I didn’t see it cus I missed the fookin game cus I’m on this boat see and I couldn’t remember my fookin password to watch it on BT sport ..  and while we’re about it I fookin missed the Man U game too cus I was reading all you lots posts on FT not realising the fookin game was being shown live in  the fookin poop deck bar or whatever it was fookin called ..   grrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!     :angry:

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

No I didn’t see it cus I missed the fookin game cus I’m on this boat see and I couldn’t remember my fookin password to watch it on BT sport ..  and while we’re about it I fookin missed the Man U game too cus I was reading all you lots posts on FT not realising the fookin game was being shown live in  the fookin poop deck bar or whatever it was fookin called ..   grrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!     :angry:

so you didnt see it then

• Haha 1

I can't believe I'm saying this but I might now be open to him going on loan when Justin is back, purely because I don't think he's going to get a sniff. He currently doesn't get in our match day squad with Justin injured due to Rodgers infatuation with Ryan Bertrand so we're going to be faced with the same issues as we've had with Hamza Choudhury.

I also think Thomas is in danger of plateauing a bit, he's a steady and decent player but I actually think his use of the ball in the final 3rd is arguably getting worse, especially his crossing which right from the off was an improvement on Chilwell's and a real asset. Yet he seems to be struggling this season with getting decent balls in and maybe dropping down to the Championship for half a season/full season in 2022/23 could see him get that ruthless mentality to his game and bring him on. He's without question got what it takes to be a good PL player as he's already put in plenty of performances to that standard, but I do fear he'll be down the pecking order like a lot of our academy players face. Barnes, might well have the same issues if he doesn't get out of this slump and convince Rodgers that his long term vision of 4-2-3-1 is our best system with him as our key wide attacker.

It's not easy being an academy player breaking through, there will always be spells of poor form and rightly won't play but they can also get left behind and stagnate which is tricky because us competing in Europe year on year requires us to have at least 4 LCFC academy trained players in our 25 man squad.

18 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ahh just a typical Country fox..

runs sort of next to those ' blonde stories'...:giggle:

This lad is doing well.He will see decent & a larger % of game time...

He will Now learn more here, from cup games, & PL Bench or occasional 1st choice..Than any thought of Loan..!

Justin will Need time...Castagna/Ricardo might Take knocks...

IMO Bertrand Covers Thomas, Not the other way round...

• Like 1

Thought he looked exactly what he is yesterday, - a promising youngster.  He has plenty of skills, but doesn't yet have the confidence (or bulk) to really impose himself on the opposition.  It will come.

Edited by PaulW
  • Like 2

If his game time is going to be limited with JJ coming back in then a loan would do him good. 

It must be hard finding form when you're in and out of the side and not having the games to settle and then to develop at the same time. 

He's still very young and got more game time at this level much earlier on in his career than he, or BR would have anticipated so it's not necessarily a step backwards or a sign that he's regressed if he was to drop a level for game time. Take Gilmour for example.

Loan suggestions are very stupid. JJ isn't going to waltz back in unaffected - these type of injuries take a long time to play yourself back into top form (see Ricardo) - there's going to be plenty of chances for Thomas to play versus carting him off to Norwich or whatever for a dozen games. He's in a great position to continue to learn and grow and should remain on the fringes of the starting 11 - it's not a bad place in the least for a 20 (19?) year old. 

• Like 3

Your point re JJ’s injury is a valid one, but I disagree overall. We will

sook have three players, at various stages of fitness, who can play left or right full-back. Plus Bertrand. All this at a time, presently, when we aren’t even playing fullbacks. Albrighton gives us cover at wing-back, arguably on both sides, too. Get the lad out on loan. He needs to play more than we are going to give him in the new year. 

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

Your point re JJ’s injury is a valid one, but I disagree overall. We will

sook have three players, at various stages of fitness, who can play left or right full-back. Plus Bertrand. All this at a time, presently, when we aren’t even playing fullbacks. Albrighton gives us cover at wing-back, arguably on both sides, too. Get the lad out on loan. He needs to play more than we are going to give him in the new year. 

Presumptionti  has caught us out before...

4 hours ago, knitro said:

Loan suggestions are very stupid. JJ isn't going to waltz back in unaffected - these type of injuries take a long time to play yourself back into top form (see Ricardo) - there's going to be plenty of chances for Thomas to play versus carting him off to Norwich or whatever for a dozen games. He's in a great position to continue to learn and grow and should remain on the fringes of the starting 11 - it's not a bad place in the least for a 20 (19?) year old. 

Rodgers currently views Bertrand ahead of Thomas without Justin being available, it's a huge issue for Thomas now that Rodgers has got someone in he views more than a mere back up fringe player to replace Fuchs who was way down the pecking order. I wouldn't mind but Bertrand has done nothing to warrant being ahead of any of our left backs, his decline in the last 2 seasons has been jaw dropping.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers currently views Bertrand ahead of Thomas without Justin being available, it's a huge issue for Thomas now that Rodgers has got someone in he views more than a mere back up fringe player to replace Fuchs who was way down the pecking order. I wouldn't mind but Bertrand has done nothing to warrant being ahead of any of our left backs, his decline in the last 2 seasons has been jaw dropping.

The selection of Thomas yesterday when Castagne didn't play was strange if Bertrand is ahead of him in the pecking order. Thomas can't get in the premier league squad ahead of him but first option to step into the team when Castagne pulls out last night.

Imo both have their shortcomings, but Thomas is a youngsters learning his trade, Bertrand is in his early 30's and not improving. Whilst I understand the need in some areas to play experience, I don't see that the team is any better with Bertrand in, so we gain nothing from starting him ahead of Thomas, and only serve to halt the young lads progress. Obviously when fit, Ricardo, Castagne and Justin are vying for the full/wing back slots, after that, Thomas has to be next in line at left back. If we're not adding quality to the team, then I'd rather see a 20 year old making mistake he'll learn from than a 32 year old making mistakes he should have ironed out of his game by now.

When the Bertrand signing was rumoured I remember expressing concern he'd offer little than to just stop Thomas getting game time and was told not to worry, he was replacing Fuchs, as in a back up who'd play the odd cup game and could slot into a back three, and he wouldn't be pushing Thomas out. Seems my concerns were right so far, although I hope last night's selection might be a sign Rodgers is see sense.

• Like 3