Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

The selection of Thomas yesterday when Castagne didn't play was strange if Bertrand is ahead of him in the pecking order. Thomas can't get in the premier league squad ahead of him but first option to step into the team when Castagne pulls out last night.

Imo both have their shortcomings, but Thomas is a youngsters learning his trade, Bertrand is in his early 30's and not improving. Whilst I understand the need in some areas to play experience, I don't see that the team is any better with Bertrand in, so we gain nothing from starting him ahead of Thomas, and only serve to halt the young lads progress. Obviously when fit, Ricardo, Castagne and Justin are vying for the full/wing back slots, after that, Thomas has to be next in line at left back. If we're not adding quality to the team, then I'd rather see a 20 year old making mistake he'll learn from than a 32 year old making mistakes he should have ironed out of his game by now.

When the Bertrand signing was rumoured I remember expressing concern he'd offer little than to just stop Thomas getting game time and was told not to worry, he was replacing Fuchs, as in a back up who'd play the odd cup game and could slot into a back three, and he wouldn't be pushing Thomas out. Seems my concerns were right so far, although I hope last night's selection might be a sign Rodgers is see sense.

I can only assume the following: Bertrand is the better option as a sub in Rodgers eyes as he can cover LB and LCB but in a wingback system he's not suited to be starting games so if Castagne isn't playing then Thomas gets the nod.

Personally don't think Bertrand should be a sub over Thomas in the league if we have at least 1 CB on the bench as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I can only assume the following: Bertrand is the better option as a sub in Rodgers eyes as he can cover LB and LCB but in a wingback system he's not suited to be starting games so if Castagne isn't playing then Thomas gets the nod.

Personally don't think Bertrand should be a sub over Thomas in the league if we have at least 1 CB on the bench as well.

As you say if we already have a centre back on the bench then I don't see the point on him being there, as Thomas is the better option whatever system we play.

The fact the centre back on the bench is probably Vestergaard is another issue entirely.

• Like 1

It's a real shame as I was excited by Thomas's introduction a year ago. He has confident, progressive and a really good passer/crosser of the ball. To me he appears over some time to have regressed and looks tentative and just average. My view is that perhaps at this stage in his career he needs regular games and the stop start experience of LCFC currently is holding him back. So for me, as soon as we can afford it. The lad needs to go on loan. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

It's a real shame as I was excited by Thomas's introduction a year ago. He has confident, progressive and a really good passer/crosser of the ball. To me he appears over some time to have regressed and looks tentative and just average. My view is that perhaps at this stage in his career he needs regular games and the stop start experience of LCFC currently is holding him back. So for me, as soon as we can afford it. The lad needs to go on loan. 

Agree..he is only 20 and at that age cant be expected to match the physicality of the likes of a Traore or Bowen, but compare Luke Shaw now to what he was as a 20 year old and you can see the difference

strength and experience make. Ben Chilwell is a much better defender now than he was just 2 or 3 years ago. Give Thomas a good run of games in the Championship and i think he will develop markedly.

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Am I the only one who thinks Rodger's is a little harsh on him? I'd certainly like him to show more faith in our youngster (and youngsters) especially the FA cup winning variety.

BR has shown faith in him! But he’s nowhere the finished article. For me his positional play is average at best, but fully accept this is an experience issue. He will develop into a top player, but is miles away at the minute. Nice channel pass though to be fair on Wednesday. I fully trust BR’s development and handling of him.

9 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

BR has shown faith in him! But he’s nowhere the finished article. For me his positional play is average at best, but fully accept this is an experience issue. He will develop into a top player, but is miles away at the minute. Nice channel pass though to be fair on Wednesday. I fully trust BR’s development and handling of him.

He's not miles away, up to that Legia game he'd not had a bad game for us since early last season. I don't think he's been overly impressive recently though but he's a damn sight better than Bertrand has been.

22 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I think there'll be plenty of chance for him in both the domestic cup competitions. I just think that he'll learn more around our first teamers day in day out and getting used to Rodgers systems in training.

As for his more tentative performances, whilst I know and appreciate what you're saying, I think he previously, for whatever reason, did well behind Barnes. In the wing back role, or any other for that matter however, he may just be doing exactly what his manager is telling him to do at this stage of development which may also include him being asked to put defensive duties first and not get caught out. I think think he'll also keep a very tight rein on KDH this year also. I may at times question Rodgers tactics and formations at particular times etc but, in this particular area of developing young players I do think he knows what he's doing in order to not ruin a young player by getting their confidence drained if deployed wrongly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Whys it always me said:

Doesn’t make the Prem match day squad again and people question he’s consistency. 

I don't question his consistency. He's a liability at the level we are, every match. 

He needs a loan. Learn his trade. Bulk out. Likely Chilwell did. Personally, I think he'd do well to carve out a career at championship/ league 1 level. And that's by no means a criticism. I'd have loved a paid football career that spans the top three divisionsnfor 15 years 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I don't question his consistency. He's a liability at the level we are, every match. 

He needs a loan. Learn his trade. Bulk out. Likely Chilwell did. Personally, I think he'd do well to carve out a career at championship/ league 1 level. And that's by no means a criticism. I'd have loved a paid football career that spans the top three divisionsnfor 15 years 

Hahahahaaaaa elite fishing this is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Other people are questioning his consistency. 

We know you're not, your questioning his ability overall. But then we aren't all as clueless as you lol

You seriously happy with Bertrand being ahead of him?

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

You are his biggest hater and consistently hammer him. Where were you went he helped win us the FA cup or Leeds away last season or Villa last season. Even wolves this season he was very good.

You choose to only post the negatives but that’s fine this is a football forum and we are all entitled to our opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I agree that he has a lot to learn but this is nonsense really. He really isn’t a liability in every game we play is he? For example, he was absolutely superb in the FA Cup final and against Wolves on the opening day.

In most games, he doesn’t look out of his depth imo. Can I remind you that Chilwell was playing for Huddersfield when he was 20? He is a better player than Bertrand and he’s played top flight football for seven years. Thomas will make it as a solid PL LB, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he’d ‘do well to carve out a career at championship / league 1 level.’

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Loooooool

usually when I remember Thomas having a bad game, or struggling, is when he is played as a wing back. He looks much happier as a fullback with a player ahead of him.

he's not got the attributes to straight up beat a player 1v1 and also seems to be less sure of himself positionally as a WB.

in a back 4 (with Justin out) he is surely the 2nd choice LB ahead of Bertrand, I'm not so sure in a 5

• Like 3

He was truly woeful today! Lost the ball so many times. Let the ball go out of play at least twice, real school boy stuff today. He's also just too light weight, Saka (who is a small player) was so much stronger than him winning the ball back and going past him with ease. He needs some time in the gym and maybe a championship loan before he's ready. 

Edited by hejammy