Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

On 24/10/2021 at 16:11, ParkerPen said:

usually when I remember Thomas having a bad game, or struggling, is when he is played as a wing back. He looks much happier as a fullback with a player ahead of him.

he's not got the attributes to straight up beat a player 1v1 and also seems to be less sure of himself positionally as a WB.

in a back 4 (with Justin out) he is surely the 2nd choice LB ahead of Bertrand, I'm not so sure in a 5

Your quote is exactly how today’s game panned out. Had a shocker in the first half in a back 5, much better when he had Barnsey ahead of him in a back 4 - until he appeared to run out of steam with ten minutes to go. 

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

It's cruel to play the lad. 

I'd go as far to say this obsession with playing him could end up trashing his career. He's no more ready for football in the top two divisons as I am to appear tonight in Swan Lake at the Royal Ballet 

He played in our FA Cup final win. If he is good enough for that, he is good enough.

He hasn't had much game time recently though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

He would benefit from a loan to a decent championship team. I think if it wasn’t for all our injuries he would of been loaned out

Thing is, if he plays like he did today, he ends up on the bench and little playing time. Luke is in at the deep end and he knows he has got to shape up.

Ricky and JJ are both ahead of him.at LB, but obvs unavailable. So I'd have played Bertrand from the off (and I don't rate him)....

Or Castagne at LB and Amartey at RB (what should've happened at ht) 

Or Amartey at LB (just to do a job on saka) and leave Timmy where he was

If all those options were unavailable to me, only then I'd even consider the lad for the first xi

1 minute ago, Jonaldinho said:

Doesn't seem to have progressed much since he made his debut eighteen months ago. Can we not get him in the gym and get him to pack on a few kilos of muscle? He's still a boy. 

18 months ago his Teammates were behind him, & in form

Edited by fuchsntf

Was poor today and you could see him struggle with the fundamentals as he lost confidence. For all his defensive frailties I thought his passing and especially running the ball out a couple of times was disappointing from a kid with the tekkers he has. 

On the other hand he's worked hard on his weaker foot so there is something positive.

35 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Can't be too harsh on him, if it wasn't for our squad woes he'd probably be on loan. Shows how much Rodgers rates Bertrand if he didn't play today 

.....Bertrand would have been murdered today!!!

No Ricardo forced Rodgers hand in bringing in Thomas, you need the energy to get up and down the flanks and Bertrand would not have coped. With the success we have had to date , playing with three at the back seemed the way to go, Thomas getting isolated with Saka forcing Soyuncu to come across to cover did not help.

It was Rodgers call, go with a player whose strength is not as a Wingback or play the same player where he has performed as an adequate Leftback.

Hopefully he'll learn from the first half. Could've easily been taken off at HT with his confidence in pieces but fair play to keeping him on and putting in a respectable second half display. Definitely looked more comfortable with someone in front of him in a back four. Longer term it still feels a bit early to judge if there's a real player there or not. Feels like a season on loan in the championship learning his trade is what's needed.

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Bertrand would have been murdered today!!!

No Ricardo forced Rodgers hand in bringing in Thomas, you need the energy to get up and down the flanks and Bertrand would not have coped. With the success we have had to date , playing with three at the back seemed the way to go, Thomas getting isolated with Saka forcing Soyuncu to come across to cover did not help.

It was Rodgers call, go with a player whose strength is not as a Wingback or play the same player where he has performed as an adequate Leftback.

Oh don't get me wrong I completely agree with the decision, my mind set now is forgetting Bertrand and vestegaard play for us

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Your quote is exactly how today’s game panned out. Had a shocker in the first half in a back 5, much better when he had Barnsey ahead of him in a back 4 - until he appeared to run out of steam with ten minutes to go. 

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day ;)

• Haha 1