Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Seagrave Training Centre

Apologies in advance..

Caglar Soiluncu
Pearguy Arphexad
Esteban Canthegrassgrow
Kelechi Spinachacho
Tomatony Spearing
Ade Akinbayleaf

Steve Gu-pea 

Steve Ag-new potato

Richard Cresswell

If cheese grew in a garden I'd say Peter Stilton, but it doesn't so I won't.

Sorry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

'It's a death waiting to happen' - More than 1,000 drivers say crossroads on the A46 is dangerous
National Highways England said it is monitoring the issue.

A Google image view of the crossing from November 2021, showing skid marks on the tarmac

Drivers say a crossroads on the A46 in Leicestershire is so dangerous it is only a matter of time before someone is killed. Most who took part in a survey conducted by a concerned local councillor admit they do not feel safe whenever they use the busy junction, between the villages of Seagrave and Thrussington.

The junction has been notorious among locals for some years due to irs design and the speed of vehicles on the A46. Leicester City Football Club made some changes to the crossing last year as part the conditions of the planning permission for its training ground nearby, which was expected to add to the amount of traffic in the area.

However, more than 1,000 drivers have responded to the survey about the design of the junction and they believe further work is required. And 97 per cent of those who took part said they feel unsafe while using the crossing, while 80 per cent said they have had a 'dangerous experience'.

Councillor Paul Simpson, a member of Seagrave Parish Council, said he started the survey after his wife was involved in a collision at the junction. He told LeicestershireLive: "It's a death waiting to happen."

Coun Simpson told LeicestershireLive: "It's been 15 months since modifications to these crossroads were completed to accommodate Leicester City FC and their new training facility in Seagrave. I've lived in Seagrave for 18 years and have always struggled to interpret how to cross.

"Since the modifications have been implemented, I personally think they've made it worse to cross in all directions. A couple of months back my wife, Charlotte, was involved in a nasty collision at the junction crossing to Thrussington. Both cars were written off but fortunately, nobody was seriously injured.

"Charlotte had an unblemished driving history and this was the first incident she has been in after passing her test some 34 years ago. It was determined at the scene that Charlotte was driving with undue care and attention.

"With this in mind, I launched the survey in May with three simple questions regarding the crossroads. We have had an incredible response.

"What's really compelling is the second largest number of recipients who have responded live in other villages/towns outside of the villages within the three-mile radius of the crossroad. It's extremely dangerous and something needs to change before a loss of life happens".

An image of Councillor Paul Simpson's wife's car, after the crash on the A46 near Seagrave
0_IMG_6827-Car-1.jpg
One resident, from Wymeswold, said: "I go through the crossing at least twice a day, but on the A46. I frequently have to decelerate significantly due to people trying to get across. I have also been through after several accidents have occurred.

"At least twice I have had to break virtually to a standstill to avoid a collision. I literally have anxiety whenever I go through, when there are cars in the middle of the carriage way".

A resident from nearby Walton on the Wolds said: "On a number of occasions when turning right from the Seagrave direction I have been stuck on the central area as traffic coming from the Newark direction is lined up to cross to Seagrave. When this happens there is no view of traffic flowing toward Leicester, absolutely impossible to see safely.

"Twice I have been almost forced to take a gamble, with my heart in my mouth, as others turning in the same direction came alongside me. It is without doubt the most scary and dangerous crossing I have ever used.

"It is equally dangerous, if not more so for traffic crossing from Seagrave to Thrussington which requires crossing both carriageways without a safe view. The volume of traffic and speed of flow makes turning across or right to Leicester frightening.

"Since the training ground has been built this danger has dramatically increased due to the number of vehicles using it. Fatalities are inevitable soon I cannot believe that highways have built this death-trap".

A spokesperson for National Highways England said they are monitoring the crossing. Karen Moore, Programme Development Manager, said: “We take safety extremely seriously and fully respect and appreciate the concerns raised.

“We’re currently monitoring this part of the A46 to assess any necessary steps to improve safety for all road users.”

Just now, st albans fox said:

What’s the problem with installing a couple of speed cams and dropping the limit to 40mph for half a mile around the junction ???

Surely the cheapest option ??

There are speed cameras, I’ve said the same thing, surely reducing the speed is the is the quickest and easiest solution. 

It’s a long straight fast stretch of road, plenty of time to reduce speed in incremental stages as well to avoid people hitting their breaks hard as they approach the junction before speeding up again. 

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Just close the crossing.

Just means people have to go the roundabouts and comeback down thr other side.

Adds about 5 minutes to the journey

Agreed. As someone who lives in a village next to the junction, not having the crossing in the middle would add a few minutes to my journey every day, but it is the safest way to do it. Countless times you get stuck in the central reservation and can't see pulling out because there are other cars also waiting next to you.

29 minutes ago, zdx said:

Agreed. As someone who lives in a village next to the junction, not having the crossing in the middle would add a few minutes to my journey every day, but it is the safest way to do it. Countless times you get stuck in the central reservation and can't see pulling out because there are other cars also waiting next to you.

"Better to be late in this life than early in the next" that is the way I look at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

What’s the problem with installing a couple of speed cams and dropping the limit to 40mph for half a mile around the junction ???

Surely the cheapest option ??

the problem with installing speed cameras is that they don't necessarily slow cars down, else no-one would get done by them. Surely the solution is to have a roundabout

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

the problem with installing speed cameras is that they don't necessarily slow cars down, else no-one would get done by them. Surely the solution is to have a roundabout

The road is too fast and too busy to drop a roundabout in. Someone earlier nailed by suggesting closing it. I’ve used the junction for decades and it’s awful. There is no need for the gap, though as two minutes either direction offers an exit to change direction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

The road is too fast and too busy to drop a roundabout in. Someone earlier nailed by suggesting closing it. I’ve used the junction for decades and it’s awful. There is no need for the gap, though as two minutes either direction offers an exit to change direction. 

But there’s loads of similar junctions like that crossing on the a47. Duel carriage ways meeting country lanes crossing over them and they all have roundabouts

It's not just isolated to that junction either is it lets be honest, just gets in the news now because of the training ground.

The ****ing slip road from Old Dalby way onto the A46 (towards Leic) is terrifying, you wizz round a bend with cars behind you doing the same, then before you know it you're on the tiniest bit of slip that just ends and turns into road with cars whizzing past at 70+. You then usually have to break to a complete stop (hoping no ones gone into the back of you) and hope for the best from a standing start when you see a gap on the A46 lol 

STATE OF IT....

OD2.png

Edited by AjcW

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Just close the crossing.

Just means people have to go the roundabouts and comeback down thr other side.

Adds about 5 minutes to the journey

Living near by and using this stretch of the A46 if I have to go right to head to the Hobby Horse roundabout I always swing left and up to the Durham Ox, as you say 5-10 minutes max to get you back to that crossing.

Coming south on the A46 I have seen cars pull out of Seagrave onto the fast lane, onto the inside lane, there really is no saying where they will end up.

I still am not sure what improvements they made to the junction the other year. Without building a bridge or tunneling under there is not much more they can do, it will never be a roundabout.

• Like 1

I don't think the issue is restricted to this junction on the A46 alone, its every junction like these be it  further up/down the A46, A1M, A43, A34 etc etc any fast moving road that allows cars to cross it from a standing still position, they have to guess the speed of flow whilst the moving traffic have to guess that a car will make it to the middle & from there not pull out to early in fornt of them, i'd wager there are twitching breaks & butts every minite of every day on every A road in the country.
I myself have had to stop & administer first aid whilst on the A1 where a car crossing was clipped around the boot area by a car on the main drag, weirdly i saw it happen before it happened eveything seemed to slow down if that makes sense, both cars spun & then rolled the car doing the hitting rolled about 4 times ending up in the ditch on the side of the road, i thought the worst but thankfully no fatalities.
This was in the evening so probably harder to judge speed of cars also, these crossings are death traps no matter where they are & after witnessing that crash, which was some years ago, i still get edgy everytime i approach 1.