Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Would Rodgers have won the league in 2015/16?

6 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Never read or spoken to anyone who could tell me how we did it.

I read a book about our title win (can't remember what it was called).

There was an interesting section in it, which analysed what we had done so well.  The analysis came from a manager/coach at another Premier League club, although the author didn't say exactly who.   He didn't go into everything, as obviously there are loads of things needed to be successful.

But one thing this person said, and I'm paraphrasing here as I can't remember the exact words ...

"When Leicester counter-attacked, they knew exactly when to go straight for goal without stopping.   But when the counter attack was slowing down, or looking like it wouldn't instantly lead to a goal, they crucially knew when to stop, check, keep possession in the last 1/3 and start again.  They kept possession in the last 1/3 of the field, and effectively restarted the attack from a dangerous position. That was an absolutely critical part of their attack; knowing when it was likely to succeed, and knowing when to try a different tack."

People on this forum know football way better than me. But if the first half of our title season was a continuation of Pearson's great escape the second half was the security that I think only Ranieri could bring. The question I often wonder though is after that season we saw Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater etc exit the club. If we throw in players like Maguire who also left presumably for greener pastures. Who would we take back? 

On 21/12/2020 at 02:45, jim5000 said:

This thread is in no way intended to slight Rodgers or the progress the club is making, but just aimed at stimulating some interesting conversation.

In 2015/16, Ranieri inherited a squad which he had little opportunity to change, came in with a catesrophic record having recently managed the Greek national team, we had arguably lost our greatest ever midfield player (Cambiasso), yet Ranieri  identified the best way for for the team to play and took relegation canididates to an unprecedented league title in a single season. It all turned sour the following season, but 201/16 will live on in the memories of City fans for the next 80 years, and we may yet top it!

If in a different timeline, we had appointed Rodgers, would we still have won the league that season?

Also, does this even matter? The fact we are looking at Man Utd as our 'bogey team' on Boxing day shows how far we have come as club in the past decade and the amazing management behind the scenes.

:scarf:

You've answered your own question as "does this even matter". The fact is no-one will ever know.

10 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Rodgers would have changed too much. Claudio's best decision was to leave things pretty much as Pearson left them.

He changed the formation and personnel exchanging Simpson and Fuchs for de Laet and Schlupp going to a 4 instead of 5.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 02:45, jim5000 said:

This thread is in no way intended to slight Rodgers or the progress the club is making, but just aimed at stimulating some interesting conversation.

In 2015/16, Ranieri inherited a squad which he had little opportunity to change, came in with a catesrophic record having recently managed the Greek national team, we had arguably lost our greatest ever midfield player (Cambiasso), yet Ranieri  identified the best way for for the team to play and took relegation canididates to an unprecedented league title in a single season. It all turned sour the following season, but 201/16 will live on in the memories of City fans for the next 80 years, and we may yet top it!

If in a different timeline, we had appointed Rodgers, would we still have won the league that season?

Also, does this even matter? The fact we are looking at Man Utd as our 'bogey team' on Boxing day shows how far we have come as club in the past decade and the amazing management behind the scenes.

:scarf:

could you please argue the case for cambiasso being our greatest midfielder ever, it beggars belief that you can even put him in front of his replacement kante, who i never seen have a bad game for us, good start good end but for the middle part of the season i cannot recall a single game where cambiasso played like the greatest midfielder ever to put on a leicester shirt 

Nigel Pearson won it in 15/16 and he wasn't even there.

Im joking but if you think about it its probably not far off the truth.

Leicester going on the winning run to secure the great escape. Then NP being Sacked Ranieri came in didn't change anything and left it all upto Shakespeare. Won the League.

The following Season was Ranieri, Sacked all the back room staff changed all the diets to his his and started using his tactics.

Almost got relegated 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I read a book about our title win (can't remember what it was called).

There was an interesting section in it, which analysed what we had done so well.  The analysis came from a manager/coach at another Premier League club, although the author didn't say exactly who.   He didn't go into everything, as obviously there are loads of things needed to be successful.

But one thing this person said, and I'm paraphrasing here as I can't remember the exact words ...

"When Leicester counter-attacked, they knew exactly when to go straight for goal without stopping.   But when the counter attack was slowing down, or looking like it wouldn't instantly lead to a goal, they crucially knew when to stop, check, keep possession in the last 1/3 and start again.  They kept possession in the last 1/3 of the field, and effectively restarted the attack from a dangerous position. That was an absolutely critical part of their attack; knowing when it was likely to succeed, and knowing when to try a different tack."

That's similar to the Troy Deeny interview he gave in 2016 about playing against Leicester. Interesting read, even now, and great to see how many of that core team are still here!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35955616

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the way that reads, gives the impression that the former players were replaced by the latter!!!

Sacre Bleu! C'est vrai, mon ami. Mais, c'est bien sur que tu peux comprendre exactement. 🤔😂 Merry Christmas. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

Ranieri may not have had too much influence in what happened on the pitch but he played a blinder off it.

Charmed the media and never got suckered into losing his cool or angry outbursts.

He must have felt the pressure toward the end but was total class throughout.

The unravelling the season after just proves what a perfect moment in time the season before was.

• Like 1

I like the consensus on this question as it demonstrates that we are, on the whole, a fairly knowlegeable group of fans.  I can only add to this that the last 9 matches in 2014-5 coupled with the whole of 2015-6 season must rate as the most magical sequence of matches ever.  How lucky to have lived in it and felt a part of it.

On 22/12/2020 at 22:35, Fox85 said:

Nigel Pearson won it in 15/16 and he wasn't even there.

Im joking but if you think about it its probably not far off the truth.

Leicester going on the winning run to secure the great escape. Then NP being Sacked Ranieri came in didn't change anything and left it all upto Shakespeare. Won the League.

The following Season was Ranieri, Sacked all the back room staff changed all the diets to his his and started using his tactics.

Almost got relegated 🤣

Personally I think Ranieri with his experienced eyes changed a hell of a lot, even if he didn't recruit new playing staff.

Where did all the goals come from? Vardy, after Ranieri played him to his strengths and also as the main striker as opposed to Ulloa etc. Totally changed the back four to a largely older style Italianesque flatter back four of the past, Marhez in particular benefited greatly from this with Simpson behind him, a man that hadn't seen much action under Pearson, likewise Albrighton. 

Pearson was absolutely brilliant for us and I think the world of him but, lest we forget, the need for the so called 'great escape' was because he got us into trouble in the first place and seemed to be out of his depth tactically. There were a number of theories of how we got out of the problem also and not all of them down to Pearson. Ranieri was indeed left a decent squad of journeyman type players with a few diamonds mixed amongst them by a very good manager in Nigel Pearson. It was however in my opinion, the genius of Ranieri that actually made a brilliant team out of them. As for the original question of whether I think Rodgers could do the same? No I don't. No disrespect meant either, just right man, right time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Personally I think Ranieri with his experienced eyes changed a hell of a lot, even if he didn't recruit new playing staff.

Where did all the goals come from? Vardy, after Ranieri played him to his strengths and also as the main striker as opposed to Ulloa etc. Totally changed the back four to a largely older style Italianesque flatter back four of the past, Marhez in particular benefited greatly from this with Simpson behind him, a man that hadn't seen much action under Pearson, likewise Albrighton. 

Pearson was absolutely brilliant for us and I think the world of him but, lest we forget, the need for the so called 'great escape' was because he got us into trouble in the first place and seemed to be out of his depth tactically. There were a number of theories of how we got out of the problem also and not all of them down to Pearson. Ranieri was indeed left a decent squad of journeyman type players with a few diamonds mixed amongst them by a very good manager in Nigel Pearson. It was however in my opinion, the genius of Ranieri that actually made a brilliant team out of them. As for the original question of whether I think Rodgers could do the same? No I don't. No disrespect meant either, just right man, right time.

The team clicked in the Latter of 2014 and were relentless and resourceful in goals and keeping goals out to save relegation. Like I said Ranieri was just there.

Dont get me wrong I like the bloke and who knows maybe he came in at the right time but 98% of the season success was down to NP and CS.

Ranieris true reign started the following season 

Edited by Fox85