Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Newcastle United (a) Pre-Match

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Bit picky...maybe technically didn't rest players, but did play a weakened team. Amartey/Hamza/Perez/Nacho don't make any team stronger.      

Which would suggest a weak squad not that BR purposely fielded a weakened team if 5 of the 7 changes were forced through injury no?

As it happened I don’t think Amartey put a foot wrong neither did Perez really.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2021 at 13:51, Ric Flair said:

I said Justin's last month or so, his performances have gone up a few gears and he has been unbelievable. I don't want this to be me dismissing Ricardo as I believe he is world class, or not far off.

For some time I've been wondering how BR could justify to himself dropping Justin to make way for Pereira - who has to still return to match sharpness. I honestly believe Justin is the better defender and has not been found wanting up front - indeed he has excelled. His confidence on the ball is exceptional. My overall impression of Pereira has been that he excels in fast dashes into attack. The stats are there to prove his ability in creating and taking goals, but those stats only tell half the story. Sure, I'd love to see how Ricardo would once again enhance this team, but Justin is not so far behind. And all this talk of 'world-class' hasn't seemed to have provoked the inevitable rumours of Real, Barca, PSG or Juve knocking at the door.

38 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Which would suggest a weak squad not that BR purposely fielded a weakened team if 5 of the 7 changes were forced through injury no?

Agree with this, to a degree. Although you can mitigate having a weak squad a little by not playing all your duffers in the same match. 

Amartey was fine, because palace were abject. 

Anyway, it doesn't really matter  - the points have gone now.  

57 minutes ago, gerblod said:

For some time I've been wondering how BR could justify to himself dropping Justin to make way for Pereira - who has to still return to match sharpness. I honestly believe Justin is the better defender and has not been found wanting up front - indeed he has excelled. His confidence on the ball is exceptional. My overall impression of Pereira has been that he excels in fast dashes into attack. The stats are there to prove his ability in creating and taking goals, but those stats only tell half the story. Sure, I'd love to see how Ricardo would once again enhance this team, but Justin is not so far behind. And all this talk of 'world-class' hasn't seemed to have provoked the inevitable rumours of Real, Barca, PSG or Juve knocking at the door.

He’s been linked with Juventus and PSG 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

I would play

kasper 

castagne Fofana Evans justin

Ndidi 

under Maddison Tielemans barnes

Vardy 

Under won't start.. no chance.

Albrighton will.

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

Justin isn't as good positionally as Ricardo but his improvement in tackles and interceptions pitches him close to Ricardo in an area that Ricardo is brilliant at. Ricardo, if he returns to his previous output is just a brilliant player and yet we have Justin who is getting better and better every game and think he will push him very close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Go on then.... pick through Justin's performances vs Sheffield Utd, Brighton, Spurs, Man Utd and compare them to the majority of Ricardo's games. I'll give you 24 hours, I'd be astonished if you have anything to the contrary. He has been unreal and his improvement recently has been huge. Whether he maintains that isn't certain but neither is Ricardo returning to his optimum immediately and that's my argument. Justin has pretty much been our sole source of creativity this past month.

Just for a bit of context - on whoscored.com Ricardo averages 7.4 for us since he's been here (a high average that is). Justin for the month of December averages 7.2 so not too far off with my wild statement. So many chances created by Justin, penalties won, assists either not awarded to him for crap VAR decisions or deflections. He's in the form of his life. Anyway, him as the RCB with Ricardo at RWB could be phenomenal in the tactical battles we have with the supposed big 6.

That’s the real quiz 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Go on then.... pick through Justin's performances vs Sheffield Utd, Brighton, Spurs, Man Utd and compare them to the majority of Ricardo's games. I'll give you 24 hours, I'd be astonished if you have anything to the contrary. He has been unreal and his improvement recently has been huge. Whether he maintains that isn't certain but neither is Ricardo returning to his optimum immediately and that's my argument. Justin has pretty much been our sole source of creativity this past month.

Just for a bit of context - on whoscored.com Ricardo averages 7.4 for us since he's been here (a high average that is). Justin for the month of December averages 7.2 so not too far off with my wild statement. So many chances created by Justin, penalties won, assists either not awarded to him for crap VAR decisions or deflections. He's in the form of his life. Anyway, him as the RCB with Ricardo at RWB could be phenomenal in the tactical battles we have with the supposed big 6.

For me, player of the season so far.. Consistent 7 to 8 out of ten in whichever of the 4 or 5 positions he's played

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simonb said:

Is Praet available? If so I'd start him. 

Kasper

Justin Evans fofana castagne

Ndidi 

Praet madders tielmanns barnes

Vardy

4-0 win 

Praet has been crap for weeks IMO, really needs to get his act together. He was brilliant at the start of the season.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Praet has been crap for weeks IMO, really needs to get his act together. He was brilliant at the start of the season.

Maybe he needs more minutes and a confidence boost? I say chuck him in with Timmy and Youri and hopefully he will crack on again like he did at the start.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Some what agree... Problem for me was he was kicking on and then got dropped.. Not played enough.. Would've got an assist at Palace had kelechi used his noggin... Then again he should've scored himself I suppose 

Only issue I have is I'd rather see him played in the number 8 role, but he's not as good as youri

Only picked him as he's better than Albrighton n unders not fit... That being said perez did OK last week

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This just feels like the mendy vs ndidi argument all over again, people just seem to have forgotten how good ricardo is, when he comes back there wont even be a contest between him and justin for who starts. In terms of stats/whoscored rating i would be surprised if justin can get 7.2 over a season also, huge difference between 1 and a three quarter seasons and 1 month.

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

This just feels like the mendy vs ndidi argument all over again, people just seem to have forgotten how good ricardo is, when he comes back there wont even be a contest between him and justin for who starts. In terms of stats/whoscored rating i would be surprised if justin can get 7.2 over a season also, huge difference between 1 and a three quarter seasons and 1 month.

With the amount of matches there will be games for both, I'd still be tempted to play riccy at rwb and Justin on the rw to compliment Barnes... Honestly reckon he can do it.. Fast, direct, got a trick on him, can whip in a ball... People say he's a defender... But everyone thought the same of Bale... And no, not saying he'll be the same.. But worth a shot surely 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simonb said:

With the amount of matches there will be games for both, I'd still be tempted to play riccy at rwb and Justin on the rw to compliment Barnes... Honestly reckon he can do it.. Fast, direct, got a trick on him, can whip in a ball... People say he's a defender... But everyone thought the same of Bale... And no, not saying he'll be the same.. But worth a shot surely 

I think his final ball is one of areas of his game that needs improvement the most. Apart from brighton he's been lacking in the final 3rd, it's the defensive side of his game that has been the most impressive and improved imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

I think his final ball is one of areas of his game that needs improvement the most. Apart from brighton he's been lacking in the final 3rd, it's the defensive side of his game that has been the most impressive and improved imo.

Fair point.. I thought his crossing had been OK, just half the time noones there 

For me, if we have Ricardo back end of last season we get champions league, December level Justin I wouldn't be so bold... both excellent options, but Ricardo is as consistent in defence as he is in attack and for me from 2018 - March 2019 was the best all round right back in the league 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

My argument though was that Justin has significantly improved in the last month or two and is now playing at a level that resembles what Ricardo did week in, week out. Justin has to prove he can maintain that and Ricardo that he can get back to the level he was before but right now I'm more than happy with Justin and hope we ease Ricardo back in.

12 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

His crosses and passes recently has been a huge improvement. Vardy missed good chances created by him vs Sheffield Utd, Brighton, Everton and Spurs. He also had an assist ruled out at Spurs which was a phenomenal through ball. He's probably been our biggest creative outlet of late which prior to this winter period he'd never really impressed me in the final third.

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

You’re absolutely right. Perez and Amartey were both solid and honestly they make me feel comfortable about squad depth. Perez is very under rated in a front 2 IMO.

1 minute ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Justin should be in our team no matter what. He can’t be dropped. I also think a fully fit Ricardo should start if possible... bit of a headache, who do you drop? The problem is Justin is a solid performer anywhere across the defence. You need to drop someone but who?

With how good JJ has been you’d have to slot Ricardo into Marc Albrightons position.

• Like 1