Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frank Large's Black Book

Eldin Jakupovic

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-preston-north-end-closing-in-on-transfer-deal-for-leicester-city-player/

Published 9 mins ago on 06/01/2021By Chris Gallagher 
Preston are closing in on a deal to sign goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic on loan from Leicester City after current number one Declan Rudd picked up an injury, a source close to the club has exclusively confirmed to Football League World.

The 36-year-old stopper is way down the pecking order with the Foxes, with Kasper Schmeichel and Danny Ward both available to boss Brendan Rodgers.

Therefore, the Premier League side are ready to sanction a temporary switch for the 36-year-old, with Jakupovic set to move to Deepdale to solve a problem for Alex Neil.

He will be competing with Connor Ripley to be the number one for North End whilst Rudd is out, with the Lilywhites set to play Wycombe in the FA Cup this weekend. Providing the deal goes through before Friday, that could be Jakupovic’s first involvement with the club.

Even though the Swiss international has barely featured since signing for the Foxes in 2017, he had impressed for Hull City in the top two divisions prior to that.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Hasn't he been in a couple of match day squads for the Europa? I remember he played a bit in pre-season.

Yeah he was on the bench for Zorya away

He is the 1st choice keeper for the u23s so would make sense as well for him to be 3rd choice with Jakupovic leaving

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Interesting, club seems to like having 3 experienced keepers around, Stolarczyk to be 3rd choice?

Apparently Daniel Iversen's loan at OHL is being cut short and he's returning to us now.  He'll probably be 3rd choice keeper.  Not a bad option, he is the regular Under 21 keeper for Denmark and is highly regarded at City. According to the OHL guys on here, he started well for them, but got injured and couldn't get his place back because of the form of (Venezuelan international) Rafael Romo. 

Club have Stolarczyk registered on the UEL List B, so they can use Jakupovic's spot for another player in the knockout stages - that's almost certain to be Amartey if we don't sign anyone.

If Iversen is recalled I would expect them to find a club for him for the second half of the season - there's no benefit to recalling him from sitting on the bench at Leuven to sit in the stands here.

• Like 3

With finances now much more of a challenge, we cannot afford to be so charitable going forward.  Suspect Rudders under orders to 'cull'.  One year extensions may now be a thing of a past?

• Like 1

Great signing for Jakupovic himself. Got 3 years on great money from the LCFC charity player club we became under Shakespeare and Puel. Signed and went straight to 3rd choice behind Hamer FFS! I have been calling to get him off the books for 18 months or so. No need for 3 senior GK at any club in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Fans only see what's done on the pitch. A football club doesn't operate 2 days of the week, most days there's training, with keepers it's a tight group of 2 or 3 plus a couple coaches, so having a few more faces around probably helps. In terms of team training on the whole too you'd like to have more than 2 goalies to practice against for drills & games ect. You've got 20 plus players kicking balls at them an hour or so a time most sessions, it's work.

Man U still have Lee Grant knocking about. Man City signed a bedraggled Scott Carson coming off his years of trauma keeping Derby's net. For a long while Chelsea had Ross Turnbull knocking around the place but very rarely played him. Liverpool now have 3 keepers. And so on through most of the Premier League.

If they're content with getting paid and sitting out the games while putting their all in with the lads in training I see no problem. They're obviously seen as handy to have about the place. Their wages aren't crippling.

On Jakupovic specifically though, if he wants to go and play games then let him go. He looked decent for Hull and should probably see his career out playing.

I'd expect the tall American lad to start growing more into the team through training. We still have Iversen out on loan. Danny Ward.

• Like 3

Not many experience keepers would want to be a number 3.

When he signed we only had Ben Hamer as back up, no surprise the club felt they need a better back up.

An injury to Kasper and then Ward, we would have been throwing in a kid.

Disasters do happen, which is why you have a plan. 

3 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Was confused why we even signed him in the first place. I think his only game was in the FA Cup away at Fleetwood?

Played both matches against Fleetwood and two league matches. Home v Arsenal we won 3-1 and away to Spurs, lost 4-5.

• Like 1

Another one from the 'likeable, decent bloke who everyone seems to like having around' crop. Like others have said, it was nice to have three experienced keepers, but I think if the worst did happen, the club probably have more faith in the fact we have two good young goalkeepers, one with experience now that we didn't really have when we signed him.

Another pretty pointless long contract from around that time. As people have alluded to here it's all well and good "the owners" bankrolling quite a bloated squad but if we want to tie down our best assets we need to tighten the purse strings in certain areas. 

The club could be around £250K a week better off (mind blowing figures when you think about it, people still think their ticket money keeps the club going lol ) in the summer with a number of contracts coming to an end, I'd love to see us reward our top performers with an increase especially if we secure European football again for next season.