Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Wolves 0-0 LCFC - Post Match Thread

3 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I'm not entirely sure how you can begrudge Hamza today? He was great and put in some really important tackles. Please don't just join the bandwagon. 

What bandwagon is that? I have watched Hamza for years since he was playing in the U23's. My comment stands because he gave the ball away a few times, 1 that would've presented a goal opportunity through carelessness.

4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Awful game today, a few points;

1. We didnt condense the pitch as much as them to match it and therefore couldn't pass from defence to centre midfield area quick enough.

2. Why persist with slow balling it down the left to Barnes when wolves saturated the area with players. Then attempt through mid.

3. Cags. Hes lost his confidence and some of his passing was awful.

4. Perez is still persistently fouling, using up so much ball time we could've been playing. He is still trying to run through 6 players on the edge of the box when he should be releasing it. In my opinion he is the weak link and offers nothing.

6. I saw a couple of decent attacking play in and around the box but it was far too few. 

7. The team was better with Castagna in it. I love ricky p but he isnt match fit or fluid with the ball and teammates.

8. Got away this week with a point, given other results and against liverpool we need a minimum of another point to get confidence levels that have somewhat ebbed.

9. Our back line side to side passing is so obvious that our attacks become useless. Switch of play needs to be much quicker.

10. There was a reason Hamza is leaving the club and it was a classic example today. How on earth Mendy didnt play was beyond me.

🦊🦊🦊

I think you've been overly critical.

1 - I  would say we passed enough through to the midfield, but with Wolves mainly having 10 men behind the ball, it made it difficult for us to progress fluidly and/or frequently.

2 - Wolves saturated most areas in their own half with their players. It was their tactic and style today to stop us getting forward. I don't mind a player like Barnes getting the ball a lot. Today he had an off day as Wolves restricted him and he couldn't be so direct. I would say it is up to other members of the team to be creative and take the initiative in this instance.

3 - Not sure where Cags has lost his confidence, or what 'awful' passing there was? I thought he was fine defensively.

4 - Perez was useless today so I'll give you that!

5 - you've not done a 5!

6 - you're right it was far too few. See points 1 and 2 as to why though.

7 - All well and good saying that if Castagne was available. But he isn't. Ricardo is. How else can Ricardo get up to speed at this level without playing him when he's available? Might have been a poor game but he was fine on Wednesday :dunno:. Again, not sure it's worth being that critical over it. He's still getting up to full flow and this will take time, longer than the two 90mins he's played this week.

8 - Don't get why confidence levels of the side would have ebbed so much to mean we now need a minimum of a point against Liverpool (this isn't me saying I'd be satisfied with a loss, obviously not). But we've got a point and a clean sheet, which are positives, given that the performance was a bit slow and turgid for various reasons. 

9 - relates to stuff already said.

10 - Again, what the hell did Hamza do so wrong that Mendy wouldn't have done?! The fact he even needs a point in this summary is bizarre. He did his job - as per his role in the side - perfectly fine!! Covered for their attacks, covered for Justin up against Traore, got some decent tackles in and got the ball and kept it moving. Yes it was sideways and backwards but it's not his role to pick out a worldie of a pass to any of the forwards. If he did that, and gave it away, all those who thought he played badly today would be up in arms that he did so. The lad can't win. He shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of criticism today - Evans, Ricardo, Barnes, Perez, probably even Iheanacho and Maddison, weren't especially great in what they were asked to do and how they perform. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

1 - I  would say we passed enough through to the midfield, but with Wolves mainly having 10 men behind the ball, it made it difficult for us to progress fluidly and/or frequently.

2 - Wolves saturated most areas in their own half with their players. It was their tactic and style today to stop us getting forward. I don't mind a player like Barnes getting the ball a lot. Today he had an off day as Wolves restricted him and he couldn't be so direct. I would say it is up to other members of the team to be creative and take the initiative in this instance.

3 - Not sure where Cags has lost his confidence, or what 'awful' passing there was? I thought he was fine defensively.

5 - you've not done a 5!

7 - All well and good saying that if Castagne was available. But he isn't. Ricardo is. How else can Ricardo get up to speed at this level without playing him when he's available? Might have been a poor game but he was fine on Wednesday :dunno:. Again, not sure it's worth being that critical over it. He's still getting up to full flow and this will take time, longer than the two 90mins he's played this week.

8 - Don't get why confidence levels of the side would have ebbed so much to mean we now need a minimum of a point against Liverpool (this isn't me saying I'd be satisfied with a loss, obviously not). But we've got a point and a clean sheet, which are positives, given that the performance was a bit slow and turgid for various reasons. 

10 - Again, what the hell did Hamza do so wrong that Mendy wouldn't have done?! The fact he even needs a point in this summary is bizarre. He did his job - as per his role in the side - perfectly fine!! Covered for their attacks, covered for Justin up against Traore, got some decent tackles in and got the ball and kept it moving. Yes it was sideways and backwards but it's not his role to pick out a worldie of a pass to any of the forwards. If he did that, and gave it away, all those who thought he played badly today would be up in arms that he did so. The lad can't win. He shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of criticism today - Evans, Ricardo, Barnes, Perez, probably even Iheanacho and Maddison, weren't especially great in what they were asked to do and how they perform. 

Your message is longer that mine!!

1. Disagree. This is one of my criticisms of Hamza because he is so tentative at passing and nervous, and frankly not great. His passing was usually sideways or backwards or to a limited degree to Tielemans and back. When mendy and ndidi are playing they are more forward thinking and confident with their passing and triangle. I firmly believe this is one of the areas that has led to him leaving the club soon.

2. I understand your point. We have however played these games this season and we've pushed up from back to front and through the lines faster. Today we were hesitant.

3. I stand by this. Cags gave the ball away on a good few occasions with forward balls that kept getting intercepted allowing wolves into our final third.

4. Thoroughly happy.

5. Oops. Technical error, he says.

6. Done 

7. I wasnt berating far from it and like I said I just think he needs to get match fit. I like Castagna for his height and he gives another option together with his pace and tackling. Ricky p is no. 1 no doubt.

8. As in not to lose to liverpool. It's getting to that point with places in the table being stretched and of course there will be nerves from last year.

9. Done.

10. Already covered see point 1.

• Thanks 1

Not very good at all, tends to happen all too often when we are missing players to injuries. Not the end of the world in terms of CL places looking at other results. I think the trophy is as good as in Man City’s trophy cabinet after this weekend so that’s what we need to focus on now.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Your message is longer that mine!!

1. Disagree. This is one of my criticisms of Hamza because he is so tentative at passing and nervous, and frankly not great. His passing was usually sideways or backwards or to a limited degree to Tielemans and back. When mendy and ndidi are playing they are more forward thinking and confident with their passing and triangle. I firmly believe this is one of the areas that has led to him leaving the club soon.

2. I understand your point. We have however played these games this season and we've pushed up from back to front and through the lines faster. Today we were hesitant.

3. I stand by this. Cags gave the ball away on a good few occasions with forward balls that kept getting intercepted allowing wolves into our final third.

4. Thoroughly happy.

5. Oops. Technical error, he says.

6. Done 

7. I wasnt berating far from it and like I said I just think he needs to get match fit. I like Castagna for his height and he gives another option together with his pace and tackling. Ricky p is no. 1 no doubt.

8. As in not to lose to liverpool. It's getting to that point with places in the table being stretched and of course there will be nerves from last year.

9. Done.

10. Already covered see point 1.

TBH if your a professional footballer who’s just taken 4 points in two away games looking at that Liverpool team I’d be smelling blood if anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Under doesn’t work hard enough defensively and that’s why he’s not playing.

Rogers confirmed that in his post match interview 

Haven't heard that personally but if that's right, I can for example see what Albrighton brings to the table in that respect and he works incredibly hard but, remind me then, what is it exactly that Perez brings to the table defensively? He's as weak as **** and offers absolutely nothing offensively or defensively.

If defensive qualities are that important, would Rodgers have always left Marhez on the bench in our winning season? There are a plethora of players that, in the past, have been considered flare players and not relevant at times because of their lack of defensive qualities e.g. Marhez, Ginola, Currie, Hudson and even our very own Frank Worthington. However, on days like today, against a team that are more likely than not, likely to shut up shop, is it not time to not mirror their defensive qualities, but to try and outplay them with width, movement and guile. Of course, if you draw, a manager is semi safe, but if he loses, the manager could be criticised by some for taking chances. To win competitions  however requires informed chances or risks to be taken, a winning manager has to have confidence in himself, to be somewhat beyond the world of worry and criticism. Self preservation or winner? It's a fine line. Under for example, could not have contributed less than the pointless inert Perez, on the other hand, in tandem with Barnes on the right,  he may just have served as a catalyst and another worry to Wolves and potentiality split them open. A feint heart never won bugger all. No, we don't know what he's like in training but on match day performance, he'd struggle to be worse than Perez!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

What bandwagon is that? I have watched Hamza for years since he was playing in the U23's. My comment stands because he gave the ball away a few times, 1 that would've presented a goal opportunity through carelessness.

What's "I've been watching him for years" got to do with anything? Today he was good and did his job. Lots more players that should be higher up on the criticism list than him yet you chose to criticise (unfairly in my opinion) him. Barnes was pretty poor at his job today? As was Evans, Albrighton did hardly anything when he came on, but no let's lay into Hamza who actually did his job very well today. Makes me wonder :dunno:

49 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Ndidi does it quite regularly, but ...

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

5 - you've not done a 5!

Great points and well put.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

5 - you've not done a 5!

10. Mendy would’ve played the ball forwards, tried to turn past a player or two and better supported Tielemans. We aren’t asking worldie passes, we are talking progressive, forward passes that might help us attack. He didn’t do it, and that was why in part the game became a turgid stalemate. He played the game like a slightly too far advanced stopper centre half rather than as a central midfielder. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

10. Mendy would’ve played the ball forwards, tried to turn past a player or two and better supported Tielemans. We aren’t asking worldie passes, we are talking progressive, forward passes that might help us attack. He didn’t do it, and that was why in part the game became a turgid stalemate. He played the game like a slightly too far advanced stopper centre half rather than as a central midfielder. 

But would Mendy have had them last ditch tackles or blocks that Hamza had? Positionally Mendy isn't great but I think Hamza did well and seen the danger early. 

Bit of a forgettable game that was tbh. There were games like these in our title winning season where we found something, anything and get us a winning goal might be scrappy but it came out of the need to win the game. Also, need a bit of extra luck in these situations too. We aren't taking advantage of our rivals dropping points so that makes things really tight. We can beat Liverpool if we turn up in the right frame of mind. We have to be more motivated and inspired the them. They will be hurting after today knowing the title has probably gone. Just hope we're well up for it on the day.

Just now, hejammy said:

But would Mendy have had them last ditch tackles or blocks that Hamza had? Positionally Mendy isn't great but I think Hamza did well and seen the danger early. 

He wouldn’t have had to do as much defending as we would’ve been more on the front foot. There would’ve been less backward passing and more forward playing support for Tielemans. Mendy is not Ndidi but he offers more in his all round game than Hamza. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I'm not entirely sure Mendy would have done that, at least not in this particular game. 

Some were asking for worldie passes! A defence-splitting pass from his deep position. Not only is that just not how we play but it's just not something he's ever really done or will ever get asked to do by Rodgers. The poster above that I quoted said Soyuncu passed it forward and lost the ball too much, Hamza would be given the same criticism if he tried it.

Nevertheless, his role is that of a defensive midfielder, slightly different than a traditional central midfielder. He's there to shield the defence and cover for them - he did that as expected albeit not perfectly, but adequately enough. 

It became a turgid stalemate more because of how Wolves set up, not just because of anything Hamza did/didn't do.

Absolutely horrid team to play against and on the balance of the game was a fair result.. Genuinely thought vardy had scored.. Had left the room celebrating until my son said it wasn't in... That being said, they missed an open goal

Last few games I feel we've failed a bit to put a gap between us and fifth, but I think the legs are starting to feel the pressure of the fixture pile up coinciding with the injuries.. Not a terrible point though, wolves are no mugs 

11 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

He wouldn’t have had to do as much defending as we would’ve been more on the front foot. There would’ve been less backward passing and more forward playing support for Tielemans. Mendy is not Ndidi but he offers more in his all round game than Hamza. 

This is just unsubstantiated rubbish. Mendy isn't a forward passing messiah that would mean he'd have to do less defending. All for opinions but this is clutching at straws. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm not entirely sure Mendy would have done that, at least not in this particular game. 

Some were asking for worldie passes! A defence-splitting pass from his deep position. Not only is that just not how we play but it's just not something he's ever really done or will ever get asked to do by Rodgers. The poster above that I quoted said Soyuncu passed it forward and lost the ball too much, Hamza would be given the same criticism if he tried it.

Nevertheless, his role is that of a defensive midfielder, slightly different than a traditional central midfielder. He's there to shield the defence and cover for them - he did that as expected albeit not perfectly, but adequately enough. 

It became a turgid stalemate more because of how Wolves set up, not just because of anything Hamza did/didn't do.

Why would Mendy not try to do what he’s tried to do in every previous game? The top of the Premier League is not a place for a defensive midfielder who is so limited he’s asked only to shuffle a ball backwards and effectively play as a centre half. He’s a good Leicester lad is Hamza, a great tackler but he has to offer more to realistically have a future at this level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Why would Mendy not try to do what he’s tried to do in every previous game? The top of the Premier League is not a place for a defensive midfielder who is so limited he’s asked only to shuffle a ball backwards and effectively play as a centre half. He’s a good Leicester lad is Hamza, a great tackler but he has to offer more to realistically have a future at this level. 

He probably doesn't have a future at this level, but while he's here and does an adequate job as a back-up player, I'll support him and I don't see the need for some fans to go in hard on him and act like he was the worst performer on the pitch just because he didn't unleash passes like prime Xavi or Iniesta.

5 minutes ago, hejammy said:

This is just unsubstantiated rubbish. Mendy isn't a forward passing messiah that would mean he'd have to do less defending. All for opinions but this is clutching at straws. 

It’s not unsubstantiated, it’s based on the results we’ve seen away from home this season when Mendy has played. He is a more rounded, more positive footballer than Hamza. He’s not Ndidi but he’s a better player than Hamza, that’s a fact. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

It’s not unsubstantiated, it’s based on the results we’ve seen away from home this season when Mendy has played. He is a more rounded, more positive footballer than Hamza. He’s not Ndidi but he’s a better player than Hamza, that’s a fact. 

Prove your fact..!!!...

Better to use IMO, because thats what it is....