Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-0 Brighton Post Match

10 hours ago, The Blur said:

Surprised no one mentioned how dissapointing Thomas was tonight.   I am a fan and was looking forward to seeing him to make most of a rare start but he was really invisible.   I think the confusing formation and poor performances by others did not help but compared to Daley-Campbell who at least tried to make things happen,  Thomas was distinctly poor.   One to forget and I hope Thomas can put it behind him.  

I think this is perceptive.  We rarely play well with 3/5 at the back, we played with a semi B team, and performances of the more regular members (who you rely on in such circumstances) were below par across the board. Taking these into account, it's harsh to judge any of the irregular members.  The wing pairings were a particular case in point.  Where, for example, a normal pairing would be JJ and Barnes on the left, who have built up a good understanding, we had instead Thomas, who's played little recently, with the perpetually underperforming Perez in front of him, and to be fair Perez was playing in an unfamiliar position himself.  On the other flank we had Under, who hasn't played for ages, paired with a debutant. (In the circumstances I thought Daley-Campbell acquitted himself well, but you could hardly expect him to have the same impact as Ricardo).  Hardly surprising, then, that our passing was unambitious and seemed to get slower and safer as the game progressed.

I thought Brighton looked more fluid than us when they went forward and it was worrying how easily they cut through us in some of their attacks, though thankfully they tended to stall at the vital moment.

• Like 2

Don't know if anyone else thought the same, but Brighton's reaction to the quick corner reminded me of when we (allegedly but absolutely definitely) threw the Millwall away game in the last minute to avoid a replay lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Not currently at home and no access to watch our matches, accommodation wifi isn't very good either for streaming. I'd been disappointed at the prospect of missing last night and wolves. It would appear that I should actually be grateful for this 

And based on the comments about performance levels, the same applies for Saturday. 

You dodged 2 bullets my friend 

4 hours ago, deep blue said:

I think this is perceptive.  We rarely play well with 3/5 at the back, we played with a semi B team, and performances of the more regular members (who you rely on in such circumstances) were below par across the board. Taking these into account, it's harsh to judge any of the irregular members.  The wing pairings were a particular case in point.  Where, for example, a normal pairing would be JJ and Barnes on the left, who have built up a good understanding, we had instead Thomas, who's played little recently, with the perpetually underperforming Perez in front of him, and to be fair Perez was playing in an unfamiliar position himself.  On the other flank we had Under, who hasn't played for ages, paired with a debutant. (In the circumstances I thought Daley-Campbell acquitted himself well, but you could hardly expect him to have the same impact as Ricardo).  Hardly surprising, then, that our passing was unambitious and seemed to get slower and safer as the game progressed.

I thought Brighton looked more fluid than us when they went forward and it was worrying how easily they cut through us in some of their attacks, though thankfully they tended to stall at the vital moment.

...Thomas not getting much game time!!!

Daley-Campbell playing U23 football but Thomas with the first team. The team is going to look disjointed with so many changes, you can see Brighton has an extension of their first team in the lower age groups as their changes had them comfortable with the way they played, just lacked the cutting edge in the final third.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, deep blue said:

Yeah,  I cannot argue with that at all.   I agree that Thomas was badly hampered by the circumstances involved last night but I was expecting more than him in terms of wanting to impress.   Daley-Campbell had the same issue but it is visible how much he wanted to impress at least compared to Thomas.   I am not having a go at all and like I said in my original post,  I am a fan.   I just thought it was worth raising as it seems to have got lost amongst other subjects of discussion.

There were several other posters who disagreed and felt that he was fine defensively- it could be my shitty stream rendering him invisble as he does not have any distinctive features for me to make him out compared to other players! 

7 hours ago, PaulW said:

"Its hard to post anything positive at all"

Let me help:

We won.

We scored from a set piece.

We kept a clean sheet.

We didn't have to play extra time, or endure a pen. shoot out just before a really big league match.

Kelechi is finding some form.

There was a promising debut from a youngster from the U23's.

JJ's injury may not be as serious as first feared.

One defeat in how many? 12 or 13.....

10 hours ago, PaulW said:

"Its hard to post anything positive at all"

Let me help:

We won.

We scored from a set piece.

We kept a clean sheet.

We didn't have to play extra time, or endure a pen. shoot out just before a really big league match.

Kelechi is finding some form.

There was a promising debut from a youngster from the U23's.

JJ's injury may not be as serious as first feared.

Thanks for help, Paul, much appreciated. I wanted as i said to watch the Match room video a couple of times before posting. I did type a thanks earlier but fortunately sacrebleuits442 ,the blur and deepblue have posted imo excellent posts  which are pretty close to my thoughts and indicate why last night was such a disappointment. 

I still don't see it quite as positively as yourself unfortunately. I think we won with a formation and 7 changes initially which meant JV got about half the useful match time the clock indicated., and meant poor Ünder was again somewhat thwarted in getting a fair go although he had the ball in the net second half.  Iheanacho's off side , meant it did n't count. In fact it was a close decision and I'm not sure he was offside,but then Mike Dean was. the ref.  Fortunately Ünder also won the corner leading to iheanacho's goal. which along with his quick thinking helped.

A clean sheet of course is always good although less important in the cup. Iheanacho'I think is improving and i think if he really commits to it he  would be very useful playing with JV who would keep him working and trying.I hope so he seems a nice guy. Its a pity we went into the Brighton match with 7 changes at the start plus several more during the match which probably will mean facing a really big league match with about the ssme number of changes if we are to field our strongest team.  I don't imagine we'll be fielding Daley-Campbell ,who did have a promising debut but probably better delayed until after a critical match like  Liverpool. The Perez injury was unfortunate but as they say its an ill wind. I doubt his injury will be a long one. As I say the two posts I mentioned above may in return help you in getting a bit more insight into Wednesday's disappointments.

As you can imagine i was delighted we scored from a short corner ,as I've posted plenty about them. Ünder and Tielemans quick thinking , followed by Youri's excellent ball gave iheanacho an excellent chance which he took well. It was straight forward but he leapt well and did an excellent attacking header. Ending all our misery.

What would be a big help would be some insight into why our selections and tactics have gone so badly wrong since about the third week in January. My theory is that BR who is imo an excellent manager has one fault common to many good man managers . He' s one of the good guys but finds it difficult to be as ruthless as anyone in management knows is sometimes needed. In the long run this is less kind to all those you are managing, and almost always reduces success. It can often lead to some demoralisation in the rest of a team and Wednesday' s awful match with practically everyone below par may have been another sign of that, along with the Wolves, Leeds and even Everton matches.  

The only thing I'd add is that many of these points managed to produce a real stinker which many of our posts seemed to think meant we were lucky to win, and we took an unnecessary risk . Luckily we were saved by Brighton's ineptitude in front of our sometimes open goal. Good news about JJ.

Edited by Alan Frost

18 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Thanks for help, Paul, much appreciated. I wanted as i said to watch the Match room video a couple of times before posting. I did type a thanks earlier but fortunately sacrebleuits442 ,the blur and deepblue have posted imo excellent posts  which are pretty close to my thoughts and indicate why last night was such a disappointment. 

I still don't see it quite as positively as yourself unfortunately. I think we won with a formation and 7 changes initially which meant JV got about half the useful match time the clock indicated., and meant poor Ünder was again somewhat thwarted in getting a fair go although he had the ball in the net second half.  Iheanacho's off side , meant it did n't count. In fact it was a close decision and I'm not sure he was offside,but then Mike Dean was. the ref.  Fortunately Ünder also won the corner leading to iheanacho's goal. which along with his quick thinking helped.

A clean sheet of course is always good although less important in the cup. Iheanacho'I think is improving and i think if he really commits to it he  would be very useful playing with JV who would keep him working and trying.I hope so he seems a nice guy. Its a pity we went into the Brighton match with 7 changes at the start plus several more during the match which probably will mean facing a really big league match with about the ssme number of changes if we are to field our strongest team.  I don't imagine we'll be fielding Daley-Campbell ,who did have a promising debut but probably better delayed until after a critical match like  Liverpool. The Perez injury was unfortunate but as they say its an ill wind. I doubt his injury will be a long one. As I say the two posts I mentioned above may in return help you in getting a bit more insight into Wednesday's disappointments.

As you can imagine i was delighted we scored from a short corner ,as I've posted plenty about them. Ünder and Tielemans quick thinking , followed by Youri's excellent ball gave iheanacho an excellent chance which he took well. It was straight forward but he leapt well and did an excellent attacking header. Ending all our misery.

What would be a big help would be some insight into why our selections and tactics have gone so badly wrong since about the third week in January. My theory is that BR who is imo an excellent manager has one fault common to many good man managers . He' s one of the good guys but finds it difficult to be as ruthless as anyone in management knows is sometimes needed. In the long run this is less kind to all those you are managing, and almost always reduces success. It can often lead to some demoralisation in the rest of a team and Wednesday' s awful match with practically everyone below par may have been another sign of that, along with the Wolves, Leeds and even Everton matches.  

The only thing I'd add is that many of these points managed to produce a real stinker which many of our posts seemed to think meant we were lucky to win, and we took an unnecessary risk . Luckily we were saved by Brighton's ineptitude in front of our sometimes open goal. Good news about JJ.

A rare event us actually winning a game which we didnt deserve to