Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nigel Pearson appointed Bristol City manager

42 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

After a handball before QPR scored.

The Bristol fans certainly not happy .

I thought I'd seen the worse, one sided refereeing performance at the Pool League Cup game last week but tonight ran it close. Was surprised the ref didn't jump into the away end when QPR scored the inevitable winner in injury time. 

The only 2 decisions he got right were the 2 yellows for King's sending off. 

• Haha 1

Bristol City fans warming to him. They are realising their squad is wank and he’s bringing through youngsters. Getting some right applauds for the guts they shown today. 

He’s back - slowly building like a paranormal force. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Bristol City fans warming to him. They are realising their squad is wank and he’s bringing through youngsters. Getting some right applauds for the guys they shown today. 

Playing kids from the Academy will help - brings some sort of connection between fans and team .

32 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Bristol City fans warming to him. They are realising their squad is wank and he’s bringing through youngsters. Getting some right applauds for the guts they shown today. 

They announced a huge loss last week, they won't be spending any serious money any time soon. I don't think they'll get anyone better.

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Unfortunately there’s still a lot of their moronic fans that slate him constantly. 

The position they’re in as a club right now there won’t be many better managers best suited than Pearson. 

5 hours ago, eblair said:

Yeah they have clearly told him there’s limited cash. He’s managed to sign Matty James as well who had his pick of championship sides to go to

From all accounts James has been one of their best signings in years, which doesn't surprise me one bit - he was clearly rusty in his few appearances for us post-injury but still had the air of a top Championship / lower prem midfielder to him.

I know he got sent off last game too, but in his limited starts Kingy has had reasonable reviews for someone who has barely kicked a ball in three years. Plus, Bristol City is apparently his boyhood club, so you know he's gonna give it his all when he does play for them.

Only one of the ex-Leicester contingent the jury is out on seems to be Simmo, who has been hit and miss, but then again their defence has been powderpuff in general this season, as proved once again against Millwall.

One of Pearson's biggest tasks amongst the existing squad was to get a pretty naff forward line of Weimann, Martin and co firing, but by my count they've got 14 between them now. Given what he's working with, it's a decent job so far, if not quite as remarkable as, say, our run to the playoffs in 2010. There still aren't enough goals in the team though.

Off on the tangent and i don’t say it to be hyperbolic, but pound for pound Bristol City must be the dullest, most insignificant football club in the league.  

No famous Cup runs from.the 60s or 70s, no famous folk hero players, shit ground, no trophies and (having had to,google,this) just 1 single brief spell  (in the late 70s) of top-flight football in 110 years. Deary me.

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Off on the tangent and i don’t say it to be hyperbolic, but pound for pound Bristol City must be the dullest, most insignificant football club in the league.  

No famous Cup runs from.the 60s or 70s, no famous folk hero players, shit ground, no trophies and (having had to,google,this) just 1 single brief spell  (in the late 70s) of top-flight football in 110 years. Deary me.

Win points however for a cracking derby.

Im not sure I would throw Ashton Gate in a boring category.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I have always though Reading are quite a boring club. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

As above, the Bristol Derby is what makes it all significant as it's one of the better City derbies in the Country.

Also I agree Reading are the dullest.

49 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I have always though Reading are quite a boring club. 

17 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

As above, the Bristol Derby is what makes it all significant as it's one of the better City derbies in the Country.

Yeah, but at least Reading have enjoyed 2 promotions, including a record points haul and a championship trophy.   and have the iconic Robin Friday as their cult hero. Bristol have none of that. Not even a famous player! Fancy being around for 120 odd years and never producing a famous player! 

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You could argue that they are the biggest underachievers throughout the history of English football, given the size of the city and catchment area. Obviously Rugby Union is popular in the south-west of England but that's probably even more applicable to Wales, so you can't really use that as an excuse because Swansea and Cardiff have both been in the top flight recently. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 4

Easy to forgot a few things with Bristol though. It’s the smallest city with two clubs - and both clubs are very defined in where their support comes from. 

Bristol rugby has been mentioned and Bath is a right middle class affair. You have no major town to the west as it’s Wales. Somerset is a wide country with terrible transport links. Traditionally you’d be able to call on a county for support but doesn’t happen. 

You’d be right though - they have never had a stand out player as such. Even someone like Andy Cole was there five minutes. Teams like Cambridge have managed to assemble rememorable teams 

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Urm did you forget Nicky Maynards thread had 1000 pages

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

When did the two Bristol's play each other? Probably about as often as we play Notts Forest. 

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, but at least Reading have enjoyed 2 promotions, including a record points haul and a championship trophy.   and have the iconic Robin Friday as their cult hero. Bristol have none of that. Not even a famous player! Fancy being around for 120 odd years and never producing a famous player! 

Weird thing is they have a big statue of a player outside the stadium (and a stand named after him) that I'd genuinely never heard of. A player called Ateo, or something,that I had to Google. Turns out he's the clubs record goalscorer but all in tier 2 and Div 3 South! 

They did win Div 1 a few years back and the Johnstone paint trophy the same season (the double!). 

I've not been to Ashton Gate since Chris Wood scored a hat trick but the stadium is, apparently, much improved after a makeover. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Easy to forgot a few things with Bristol though. It’s the smallest city with two clubs - and both clubs are very defined in where their support comes from. 

Bristol rugby has been mentioned and Bath is a right middle class affair. You have no major town to the west as it’s Wales. Somerset is a wide country with terrible transport links. Traditionally you’d be able to call on a county for support but doesn’t happen. 

You’d be right though - they have never had a stand out player as such. Even someone like Andy Cole was there five minutes. Teams like Cambridge have managed to assemble rememorable teams 

Bristol is a bigger city than Nottingham. I know Notts County are not in the football league at the minute, but they have spent most of their existence there and have a supporter base comparable with Bristol Rovers, yet Forest (they never mention it, honestly!) have had success throughout history. 

Even taking your other points into consideration, you would have thought they would have had more than four top flight seasons in the late seventies since the first world war. 

I'm struggling to think of bigger underachievers throughout the history of English Football. Who else is there? Bradford? Oxford? York? Birmingham City? I suppose you could argue Loughborough Dynamo if we're thinking closer to home?

• Like 1