Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nigel Pearson appointed Bristol City manager

26 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Bristol is a bigger city than Nottingham. I know Notts County are not in the football league at the minute, but they have spent most of their existence there and have a supporter base comparable with Bristol Rovers, yet Forest (they never mention it, honestly!) have had success throughout history. 

Even taking your other points into consideration, you would have thought they would have had more than four top flight seasons in the late seventies since the first world war. 

I'm struggling to think of bigger underachievers throughout the history of English Football. Who else is there? Bradford? Oxford? York? Birmingham City? I suppose you could argue Loughborough Dynamo if we're thinking closer to home?

Oxford had a league cup final. Players like Dean Saunders and Mark Wright. Robert Maxwell.as owner. 

Brum.won the FA Cup in the olden days, league Cup more recently. Famous for Trevor Francis. 

Bradford, macabre as it is, had the fire tragedy. And they've been in the Premier. And recently had a famous win v Chelsea. 

Bristol have nothing. No cups, no classic giant killings. No plucky losers. No mad owners. No tragedy. No famous players (even Rovers can claim Ricky Lambert). Amazing. You couldn't be more non descript if you tried!

Edit; Bristol Rovers had Gary Mabbutt too

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Oxford had a league cup final. Players like Dean Saunders and Mark Wright. Robert Maxwell.as owner. 

Brum.won the FA Cup in the olden days, league Cup more recently. Famous for Trevor Francis. 

Bradford, macabre as it is, had the fire tragedy. And they've been in the Premier. And recently had a famous win v Chelsea. 

Bristol have nothing. No cups, no classic giant killings. No plucky losers. No mad owners. No tragedy. No famous players (even Rovers can claim Ricky Lambert). Amazing. You couldn't be more non descript if you tried! 

They beat Man Utd not long ago in the league cup quarter final. Think Van Gaal was manager at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

They beat Man Utd not long ago in the league cup quarter final. Think Van Gaal was manager at the time.

Ahhh I forgot about that. Mourinho was their manager. I remember because Puel was our manager and if we had beaten Man City in the quarter final we would have played Bristol City and then Arsenal in the final had we got past them. 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Ahhh I forgot about that. Mourinho was their manager. I remember because Puel was our manager and if we had beaten Man City in the quarter final we would have played Bristol City and then Arsenal in the final had we got past them. 

I remember there was a lot of frustration about being knocked out by a weakened Man City (we made several changes ourselves!) when we would have ended up playing Bristol City in the semi-final. 

11 hours ago, Spudulike said:

When did the two Bristol's play each other? Probably about as often as we play Notts Forest. 

I don't know the league meetings but I recall their recent games being in the football league trophy.

Still a fierce rivalry. Teams don't need to play each other regularly to maintain their rivalry, just look at Sunderland/Newcastle and Port Vale/Stoke.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Bristol is a bigger city than Nottingham. I know Notts County are not in the football league at the minute, but they have spent most of their existence there and have a supporter base comparable with Bristol Rovers, yet Forest (they never mention it, honestly!) have had success throughout history. 

Even taking your other points into consideration, you would have thought they would have had more than four top flight seasons in the late seventies since the first world war. 

I'm struggling to think of bigger underachievers throughout the history of English Football. Who else is there? Bradford? Oxford? York? Birmingham City? I suppose you could argue Loughborough Dynamo if we're thinking closer to home?

Birmingham City is a shout really given the size of the City, it's just they have to share it with one of the Countries bigger clubs. 

For me I've always thought of West Ham as underachievers when you consider their history, their academy/players, they've never won a top flight title. 

11 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I remember playing against them when I played for Ellistown.  We needed to win by 12 clear goals to win the league, I think we beat them 11-0.  They were absolute Doggo.  Shortly after, they linked up with the University and suddenly started to rocket up the leagues.   I was at Loughborough University at the time, so it must have been the early 2000's.

On 02/01/2022 at 20:57, Cardiff_Fox said:

Bristol City fans warming to him. They are realising their squad is wank and he’s bringing through youngsters. Getting some right applauds for the guts they shown today. 

He’s back - slowly building like a paranormal force. 

I can vouch for that, definite signs of improvement and fight recently. 

Also when you announce a £38.4m loss for the last financial year, it places in stark relief how much his hands are going to continue to be tied to try and  strengthen the squad, and instead will have to continue to sell just to keep things ticking over.  Starting I would imagine with captain Daniel Bentley who hasn't featured for the last couple of games. 

23 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You’d be right though - they have never had a stand out player as such. Even someone like Andy Cole was there five minutes. Teams like Cambridge have managed to assemble rememorable teams 

Scott Murray was class in the 2000's, used to long for a player like him in that era.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 15:47, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, but at least Reading have enjoyed 2 promotions, including a record points haul and a championship trophy.   and have the iconic Robin Friday as their cult hero. Bristol have none of that. Not even a famous player! Fancy being around for 120 odd years and never producing a famous player! 

Just shows how lucky they are to have Pearson as manger. Hopefully he gets time to change their fortunes around. Top guy top manager and potentially a good team.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 21:55, Nalis said:

Bristol City were decent in 2008 but fell away after only winning 2 from their last 11 league games, and then lost to a Windass wondergoal in the play off final against Hull.

And what a goal that was too - the playoff equivalent of the Tielemans strike. ❤️

On 05/01/2022 at 17:44, Brizzle Fox said:

I can vouch for that, definite signs of improvement and fight recently. 

Also when you announce a £38.4m loss for the last financial year, it places in stark relief how much his hands are going to continue to be tied to try and  strengthen the squad, and instead will have to continue to sell just to keep things ticking over.  Starting I would imagine with captain Daniel Bentley who hasn't featured for the last couple of games. 

If the fans are warming to Pearson they MUST stick with him

It’ll be around season three in charge that you’ll see the benefits. 
He’ll get the young uns playing for him and he’ll ship out any dissenters 

But this won’t happen quickly 

Pearson’s projects take time

On 08/01/2022 at 11:41, Col city fan said:

If the fans are warming to Pearson they MUST stick with him

It’ll be around season three in charge that you’ll see the benefits. 
He’ll get the young uns playing for him and he’ll ship out any dissenters 

But this won’t happen quickly 

Pearson’s projects take time

It didn't take time when he took the club by the scruff of the neck in League 1 and then into the championship play-offs the following season. That was peak Pearson but he's not the same manager now, it seems. 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

It didn't take time when he took the club by the scruff of the neck in League 1 and then into the championship play-offs the following season. That was peak Pearson but he's not the same manager now, it seems. 

Money allows you to change things quickly, something that Bristol City have squandered over recent years. I'd imagine it would take at least 2 full seasons before they would be able to compete for the playoffs if NP makes good signings. 

Closest Premier League club to Bristol City is Southampton, and that's 100 miles away. Swansea, WBA and Bournemouth are the next closest preciously PL clubs nearest to Bristol. That whole area in the south west has huge potential t but has been starving for success. 

Usually when there are 2 clubs in one city (Birmingham, Nottingham, Liverpool, Manchester) at least 1 of the 2 clubs are much bigger and successful than the other. 

On 04/01/2022 at 21:55, Nalis said:

Bristol City were decent in 2008 but fell away after only winning 2 from their last 11 league games, and then lost to a Windass wondergoal in the play off final against Hull.

"Blown away by Windass" would have been my headline, if I'd been employed by The Sun. ;)

I remember that match well as I didn't know who to support: one of my oldest mates is a keen Bristol City fan, while one of my favourite cousins is a Hull fan

34 minutes ago, Koke said:

Closest Premier League club to Bristol City is Southampton, and that's 100 miles away. Swansea, WBA and Bournemouth are the next closest previously PL clubs nearest to Bristol. That whole area in the south west has huge potential t but has been starving for success. 

Psst.... Cardiff (and Swindon, briefly).

My Brizzle mate seems to mainly feel contempt for Rovers and hatred for Swindon and Cardiff.

He wouldn't like it, but I have a soft spot for Rovers since watching them thrash Plymouth 5-0 in the FA Cup in 91-92. I had a year living and working in Plymouth so went to their home matches. That cup match against Rovers (played at Bath) was the only away match I went to. Rovers played Argyle off the park, then all their well-satisfied fans trooped out in the dark in great voice, singing "Goodnight Irene". Quite a moving experience, even if I was supposed to be a temporary Argyle fan....

On 05/01/2022 at 09:58, Greg2607 said:

I remember playing against them when I played for Ellistown.  We needed to win by 12 clear goals to win the league, I think we beat them 11-0.  They were absolute Doggo.  Shortly after, they linked up with the University and suddenly started to rocket up the leagues.   I was at Loughborough University at the time, so it must have been the early 2000's.

Interesting open-share of Part of your life's experience...:)