Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not having that Danny Mills was happy we won the Prem, nor is he happy that we are still upsetting the elite. 

He never looks ****ing happy. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

We're not in the Big 6. That refers specifically to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs. They are (by a good margin) the clubs that generate the most money in English football. They've got the largest fan bases and people all over the world tune in to watch their games.

Spurs are the club we're most likely to catch (if any) and we're still miles off them.

We've had two European campains in 20 years. These clubs are in Europe every single season.

I think we are one of the very few teams outside of the elite to ever taste that being a big side is actually quite difficult. 

Worldwide tours in Australia, China and the US every summer.  most of their main players been bled dry by international games until late June. Going far each season  in the cups and in Europe with the additional travel and injuries that entails AND still Being good enough in the league to qualify for Europe EVERY season

That's not sympathy. Just that most fans of clubs of our size have no comprehension of the extra demands

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Get over it. Unless you want as much coverage of Peterborough as you get of Leicester. And Stevenage. And Burnley. 

It’s a sliding scale. We’re really near the top, get way more analysis of our club than 93% of league clubs, but we’re not right at the top. Try telling Leicester fans in 2010 that we’d be this close to the top of the premier league all season long, in Europe, with a team full of champions past and future, but all we chat about is Spurs getting more news coverage. 

Stay newsworthy, stay interesting, we’ll get more coverage. That is all there is.

FFS this place...

Nothing to get over, I was merely pointing out the error in your contribution.

The problem is the pundits. Their personal opinions and feelings are massively influencing the conversations. In the few times I’ve heard talksport, I’d say his lack of bias is what makes it seem like Jordan is the brightest spark in the room.

Side note. He was great when they were discussing being overworked and playing too much with (I think) Trevor Sinclair.

Anyway, back to the point. If the ‘pundits’ were pundits or had a mix of lower league players instead of purely ex ‘top’ players, it’d be a lot better discussion.

Bit of a difference but look at bbc World Cup coverage. For me, some of the best of not the best pundits over the years have been people like Klinsmann, Desailly and Leonardo. And it’s usually their lack of England bias that helps the coverage and leads to much better discussion.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

I can hear the teeth grinding at Sky Sports HQ at the thought of having to post that article on the other side of the Atlantic. lol

As for my comments on pundits 'hating us' @UpTheLeagueFox, I was pretty clumsy with my phrasing, but there really are a couple of pundits who always seem to grit their teeth when having to acknowledge our success or strengths.

Danny Murphy is definitely one of those - he looks like he's going to go home and lose sleep every time he has to analyse us on MOTD after a win, and is always quick to lay into us after a loss. And no, I'm not going to forget him laying into our players for celebrating King's late winner any time soon - it's possibly the single most patronising comment I've heard from a pundit since we had to endure Peter Beagrie's drivel on a weekly basis in the Championship. :whistle:

Michael Owen is another - I actually think he gets a lot of unwarranted stick for oversimplified analysis, but he is incapable of giving Jamie Vardy praise that isn't completely back-handed it seems. He's still parroting the 'not a natural finisher' line he's had on loop since our Great Escape season - multiple 20+ goal seasons, a Premier League Title, record-breaking scoring streak and a Golden Boot later. It comes across as bitter.

Haha yeah I can see this.  But then what do you expect from a man who celebrates scoring in training drills with 13 year olds lol 

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Just seen this on the BBC live text:

Oh no, someone who no doubt supports one of the 4 big 6 clubs who we're ahead of in the league no longer respects us because we got knocked out of Europe by a team with less money to spend than us.  I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Probably had his 20 fold acca blow up on him and is now blaming outside forces for his own problems.

Genuinely don't delve into news site comment sections or twitter if you aren't looking to read stupid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaspa said:

Probably had his 20 fold acca blow up on him and is now blaming outside forces for his own problems.

Genuinely don't delve into news site comment sections or twitter if you aren't looking to read stupid.

Well yeah, but it would be nice if a taxpayer funded national news source didn't publish every vacant thought to be sent their way.

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Just seen this on the BBC live text:

Oh no, someone who no doubt supports one of the 4 big 6 clubs who we're ahead of in the league no longer respects us because we got knocked out of Europe by a team with less money to spend than us.  I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Fifty times bigger wage budget ?
maybe 10 ........

probably a similar difference between sheff u and Man U ....... 

who cares what anyone thinks .......oh yeah, apparently we do when it’s about being respected ........

I think deep down we all know we're getting the stick our performance against Slavia home and away actually deserved. Let's face it, we didn't lay a finger on them.

There's a horrible fragility about us that surfaces too often for comfort. 

Just imagine if Forest were in our position and had fallen so feebly. We'd be queuing up to stick the boot in.

It's the nature of things. The trouble is that performances like that (and Villa, and Chelsea and last seasons drop-off) erode confidence among our own ranks. Including the team. 

A shit-show like last night could be very damaging. 

Just now, Nalis said:

Lol good one.  

Football is cyclical. They actually won the European Cup twice at a time when we were hardly setting the world on fire. Things turn round. Sometimes horribly quickly. 

The fragility I see at our club worries me. As a fan since the 60s I know that things change. 

We need perspective at times like this. But also honesty. We have a problem. 

• Like 2

Well they're certainly meaning us now, first up on the sports section of Breakfast, all over NewsNow being negatively compared to Glasgow Rangers etc etc.

To paraphrase Bob Monkhouse.

We all laughed when they ignored us.

Well we're not laughing now.

Well for some fans.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well they're certainly meaning us now, first up on the sports section of Breakfast, all over NewsNow being negatively compared to Glasgow Rangers etc etc.

To paraphrase Bob Monkhouse.

We all laughed when they ignored us.

Well we're not laughing now.

Well for some fans.

An awful lot of prejudices are being confirmed this morning...'Hmm...see Leicester got stuffed by a team from a Mickey Mouse league. Thought so...couple of years they'll sink back into the obscurity they deserve. Always thought they were nothing special...' etc etc. 

Trouble is, I kind of agree. Painful reminder of where we are as a club, present position notwithstanding. 

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

I think deep down we all know we're getting the stick our performance against Slavia home and away actually deserved. Let's face it, we didn't lay a finger on them.

There's a horrible fragility about us that surfaces too often for comfort. 

Just imagine if Forest were in our position and had fallen so feebly. We'd be queuing up to stick the boot in.

It's the nature of things. The trouble is that performances like that (and Villa, and Chelsea and last seasons drop-off) erode confidence among our own ranks. Including the team. 

A shit-show like last night could be very damaging. 

Getting up in the morning can be damaging. I stubbed my fuching toe when I got out of bed today. It’s how you deal with the pain and disappointment. 

For instance, I kicked the cat, swore at my wife and felt much better by the time I’d hobbled down the main staircase and remembered where the kitchen was. 

Hopefully the team will see the positives in this and some of our more deluded fan base will recognise the benefits by the end of the season. 

We are an embryonic ‘Big’ team with all the caveats and frailties that brings. There are bigger fish to fry this season and the European League cup is not going to be one of them. I, at least, am happy - apart from the throbbing toe. 

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Getting up in the morning can be damaging. I stubbed my fuching toe when I got out of bed today. It’s how you deal with the pain and disappointment. 

For instance, I kicked the cat, swore at my wife and felt much better by the time I’d hobbled down the main staircase and remembered where the kitchen was. 

Hopefully the team will see the positives in this and some of our more deluded fan base will recognise the benefits by the end of the season. 

We are an embryonic ‘Big’ team with all the caveats and frailties that brings. There are bigger fish to fry this season and the European League cup is not going to be one of them. I, at least, am happy - apart from the throbbing toe. 

Agreed about getting up in the morning. (Writing this in a prone position). Personally won't be stirring until well after the draw for the last 16 of the Europa League. 

And I applaud your positivity. Unhappily I am unable to share it. 

Again we fail - in truth, fairly miserably - when the stakes are high. See Villa in the League Cup, Chelsea in the FA Cup, the embarrassing capitulation of last season. A pattern seems to be emerging. Until we ditch this fragility, our dreams of being seen as a 'big' club (whatever that means) remain a delusion. (Fine by me, incidentally, acceptance of reality being an important part of my layabout philosophy).

Can't shake the feeling that European games are the main reason we want to do well in the league. They are a rare and precious commodity in the life of a football club. To spunk it so miserably at the first hurdle is, in my view, harmful as well as embarrassing. 

Meanwhile my thoughts and prayers are with your big toe...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Can't shake the feeling that European games are the main reason we want to do well in the league

The Europa League is just a step towards the real European games of the Champions League. To aspire to move up in the football world these days you need loads of money you wont get that in the Europa League.

You'll get a little bit of recognition abroad and some experience but that's about it's total value.

We were never going to win this, the FA Cup and finish in the Top 4 we just don't have it in us and frankly neither do most of the Rich 6. something had to give sooner or later.

My only hope is that it doesn't affect our game moving forward.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

The Europa League is just a step towards the real European games of the Champions League. To aspire to move up in the football world these days you need loads of money you wont get that in the Europa League.

You'll get a little bit of recognition abroad and some experience but that's about it's total value.

We were never going to win this, the FA Cup and finish in the Top 4 we just don't have it in us and frankly neither do most of the Rich 6. something had to give sooner or later.

My only hope is that it doesn't affect our game moving forward.

Okay, but as I said elsewhere, European football - of whatever nature - is a rare and precious thing for a club like us. 

Despite the delusions of grandeur that seem endemic among some of our fanbase, our history suggests that when it comes along we should give it everything we have. Because it is not something that necessarily comes along year in, year out. So to surrender so meekly against a team like Slavia sits uncomfortably with me. 

And your point about money being the essential ingredient of success in football, while having obvious merit, was surely disproved forever by our achievement in 2016. As that noted football philosopher Jessie J put it, 'it ain't about the money, money, money.'

Pure desire and commitment go a long way. As our opponents reminded us so painfully last night. 

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

The 'lost my respect' comments by football fans are hilarious  Its a bit narcissistic to come out with as if the person saying it believe other fans, the players and the club will be massively devastated by it when the reality is no one gives a fvck want they think.

Exactly. That kind of statement only works if you say it to one person in private if they've really fvcked you over and you genuinely need them to know you're disappointed in them. To use it any other situation is pretty bizarre

• Like 1