Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

23 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

The new stadium for Everton may well propel them into the elite clubs again. Or at least draw up level to spurs. 

It might actually benefit us.

We are always prone to.losing players who see the biggest 5 as a guaranteed way of CL football and trophies. If the big 5/6 became an 8 or 9, with us (still the outlier)  Everton and West Ham becoming equally as likely to win cups and play European  football, players would have to think far more carefully  before joining, say, chelsea as it's no longer a nailed on pathway to glory.

However, with Spurs, West Ham and Everton all having large flagship stadia, we'll need to step up and push towards a rebuilt (not revamped) KP. I just cannot see the family looking at Everton and Spurs grounds and saying, you know what, let's just stick a tier on the east stand like Cardiff did. The family only do high spec.

We say this but the stadium has paralysed Spurs in combo with Covid and left them not only with a debt but paying off a loan now from the Bank of England. 

You could argue Arsenal similar - the Emirates pushed them further away from competing in the PL and CL

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

"It's 4 March 2011 and Man Utd fans are hoping to go 3 points ahead of Leicester City in the race for top 4"

BTW, on this day in 2011 we lost 1-0 away to QPR, goal scored by Ishmael Miller 

Where were we in the table though? And did we still have Sven or was Pearson back?!

11 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Where were we in the table though? And did we still have Sven or was Pearson back?!

Sven as I remember going to the QPR game. Apart from their goal, all I remember is Yakubu having a decent shot from edge of the box which nearly lobbed their keeper. 

I'd drunk quite a bit by then I think as well lol

13 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

This guy is making himself look a bit silly with a bit of a pointless tweet.

There are a lot of squads either in 2016 or now that were / are better than our title winning squad if you compare player for player but we were better than the sum of our parts, thats the whole reason we won the league that year and most football fans release that.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s saying that yanited have bottled the opportunity with better players whereas we embraced it with lesser ones ..... mentality 

Aye, it just fails to provide the context of either season.

Seems an easy point score to dump on Leicester - would never use the comparison of say Manchester United’s four title winning season where they got 80 points/below or point out that Man City have blown away the opposition this season with their current winning run 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think it’s nothing to do with ‘dumping on us’ - he’s lauding the mentality of our 15/16 squad and dissing the mentality of their current one 

that’s how I read it anyway .....

For me, he used an example of the ‘weakest’ squad of Champions as a comparison - mentality and ‘quality’ of player aren’t two mutually exclusive things. 

https://www.givemesport.com/1656782-jurgen-klopp-pep-guardiola-and-the-premier-leagues-five-worldclass-managers-right-now

The Premier League plays host to some of the greatest managers in world football.

Besides, there's good reason to think that half of the 'big six' clubs have the three greatest managers of the last decade in their dugouts: Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho.

Now, that statement alone might have incited debate and protestations amongst football fans but in that case, strap yourselves in, because we're about to have a close shave with controversy.

Premier League coaches

Having looked at the players that we consider to be worthy of 'world-class' status in Europe's top five leagues this week, we're now turning our attention to Premier League managers.

Naturally, the definition of 'world-class' is a debatable one because you could argue that all 20 coaches deserve that label for the incredible achievement of managing in England's top-flight.

But we're here to separate the great from the good and the inimitable from the incredible, so we've counted five Premier League managers who pass our threshold for being considered 'world-class'.

That, for the record, is boasting the quality to be considered amongst the world's very best coaches and we're judging that on recent career accolades, 2020/21 quality and pound-for-pound achievements with the resources at their disposal. 

World-class Premier League managers

At the expense of stating the obvious, those metrics are - of course - subjective, so this is nothing more than our own opinion within our own parameters, so it's by no means a definitive reckoning of the competition's managers.

But before you let us know how many Premier League managers are world-class in your eyes, be sure to check out our five selections and see how much they line up or - as they case be me - do not:

1. Pep Guardiola

Like, duh. I don't think anybody can disagree with me here because Guardiola is one of the greatest managers in history and on course to win his third Premier League title by miles and miles.

Sure, he hasn't won the Champions League since 2011, but we're talking about a coach who's led the Citizens to six major honours and a record-breaking 100-point season in just four years.

2. Jurgen Klopp

Say what you like about Liverpool's recent form, but you'd be barmy to let that undermine his staggering achievements at Anfield when injuries and misfortune have been so rampant in 2020/21.

The difference between the Reds side that Klopp inherited and the one he led to Champions League and Premier League glory is night and day, so of course he should be considered world-class.

3. Brendan Rodgers

Ok, now we're getting into controversial territory and we're starting with arguably our most divisive choice of the bunch in a spirit akin to tackling a cold swimming pool by jumping in all in one go.

But let's take a moment to zoom out and talk about a manager who almost led a top-heavy Liverpool side to Premier League glory and dominated at Celtic by winning an unprecedented 'double treble'.

And now, he's spearheading a superb Champions League charge at the wheel of a club that, barring their 5,000-1 miracle, have largely competed for the top half at best since their 2014 promotion.

So, for my money, Rodgers more than deserves his world-class status as it stands, but it would be simply irrefutable if he can lead the perpetually-selling Foxes to consecutive top-five finishes.

4. Carlo Ancelotti

I won't deign to exhaustively list Ancelotti's historic achievements as a coach, winning everything under the sun at AC Milan and Real Madrid, but the Italian makes the cut based on more than just legacy.

We can't underplay the fact that Everton are competing for their best Premier League finish in decades, even if he did arrive on the back of a disappointing Napoli spell and benefits from big spending.

So, sure, we'll happily agree that Ancelotti has seen his stock fallen since Bayern Munich sent him packing, but his pound-for-pound achievements are still worthy of the 'world-class' label in our eyes.

5. Thomas Tuchel

Argue as you might that winning trophies at Paris Saint-Germain is as easy as getting your hands on chicken at Nando's, but try telling me that leading them to a club-first Champions League final is quite so simple.

Marry that to an impressive Borussia Dortmund spell as well as a stunning start to life at Stamford Bridge and I don't think it's controversial to consider Tuchel amongst the world's best head coaches.

No Jose Mourinho

Let's address the elephant in the room: there's no place for Mourinho.

While I think you might understand our decision to leave out coaches like Mikel Arteta and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, I'll happily admit that Mourinho's absence may seem strange given Ancelotti's presence, in particular.

But I'm inclined to think that Mourinho hasn't truly deserved his world-class label since winning his third Premier League title with Chelsea in 2014/15.

At Manchester United, Carabao Cup and Europa League triumphs papered over the cracks of an underwhelming first season and his second-place finish the following year has only been made to look good in hindsight. 

Meanwhile, there's no denying how poor the third years of his United spell and Chelsea return were and even his Spurs tenure threatened to implode recently during a spell of five league defeats in six games.

And if you're wondering why Ancelotti is getting the nod over Mourinho right now, you needn't look any further than the Premier League table to see who's performing better - and with lesser resources to boot.

Are we right? Are we completely wrong?

But other than Mourinho and his managerial rivals in the 'big six', we're happy to admit that Marcelo Bielsa and Nuno Espirito Santo are leading the chasing pack for 'world-class' status in England.

That being said, it's only our opinion and it's by no means beyond refute, so be sure to let us know how many Premier League managers you think should be considered 'world-class' across our social channels.

Besides, we're going to take a leaf out of Mourinho's book and park a bus to hide behind because we've probably angered a fair few fans of the 'Special One'. I love you, Jose, I promise...

I may be biased BUT our title win will be the best and most shocking title win for decades in any major European league, unless someone does something identical of course (ie a team full of what looks to be mostly 2nd Division players on paper winning it). Even if a team like villa or leeds were to win it next year, it wouldn't even compare due to the money spent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

I may be biased BUT our title win will be the best and most shocking title win for decades in any major SPORT, unless someone does something identical of course (ie a team full of what looks to be mostly 2nd Division players on paper winning it). Even if a team like villa or leeds were to win it next year, it wouldn't even compare due to the money spent. 

Fixed bro

• Thanks 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/national-media-leicester-vs-brighton-5081814

The Guardian , Ed Aarons

If this match was any indication of whether Leicester can hold their nerve in the closing months of the season then Brendan Rodgers may just achieve the seemingly impossible.

A late goal from Daniel Amartey after a mistake from goalkeeper Robert Sánchez helped them come from behind against Brighton to clinch a win that moves them up to second place and a giant step closer to Champions League qualification.

It was another cruel blow for Graham Potter’s side, who have suffered three successive defeats and are now looking even more nervously over their shoulders despite taking the lead through Adam Lallana’s first goal for the club.

But with a squad shorn of several senior players, Kelechi Iheanacho’s second half equaliser and Amartey’s late header ensured it was Rodgers who punched the air at the final whistle.

The Sun , Tom Barclay

Jamie Vardy may have momentarily lost his lethal touch - but at least his understudy is finding his.

Kelechi Iheanacho followed up his leveller at Burnley on Wednesday with another fine finish to turn things around here.

It chalked off Adam Lallana’s opener and swung the momentum back to Leicester, who nicked it at the death through Daniel Amartey’s header.

Amazingly, it was the back-up defender's first goal in 1540 days and only his second ever in the Premier League.

It was the second time in a matter of weeks Nigerian Iheanacho has proved a thorn in Brighton’s side, having notched a 90th-minute winner to dump Albion out of the FA Cup last month.

But this one could well have hurt more for Graham Potter’s side, who were desperately seeking a win to ease their relegation fears.
The same could be said for Brendan Rodgers’ top-four chasers, who had looked to be stuttering going into the home straight just as they did last year.

Last term, they collapsed completely when football restarted in June, taking just 12 points from their final 11 games and shattering their Champions League dream.

Rodgers would have been fearing history was going to repeat itself this term, after defeat to Arsenal and that draw at Burnley.

Their chances of qualifying for Europe’s elite club competition via the Europa League were also ended last month by Slavia Prague.

But even with injuries hitting them hard - and Vardy now on a run of just one goal in his last 14 games - they somehow found a way to win here.

And that will surely give Rodgers huge confidence that this year can be a different story.

The Daily Mail , Riath Al-Samarrai

Limping, coughing and spluttering, Leicester are just about keeping themselves where they need to be. It hasn’t been pretty lately, and this one certainly wasn’t, but maybe they will ride out this iffy patch after all.

It won’t be easy – not with the mass of bodies undergoing treatment back in the Midlands. But after going three games without a win amid their injury carnage, Brendan Rodgers’ side have at least reasserted themselves via this slog of a victory.

They trailed to Adam Lallana’s first-half goal and at that point all manner of awkward possibilities may have followed, particularly if the forward’s subsequent header at 1-0 hadn’t hit the post. Likewise if the same player had buried a chance in front of goal 10 minutes from time, with the score at 1-1. Ifs and buts – the most pointless lament in football, and one that is accompanying Brighton and Graham Potter into choppy waters.

On 28/02/2021 at 10:59, foxes_rule1978 said:

Saka will feel arsenal is still a better place to be to get European football, we still have a lot to prove before we can seriously overcome such clubs. 

I know they say footballers aren’t the brightest, but even Saka will know Arsenal isn’t the place to get European football.

Edited by NeilLCFC
Typo

On 04/03/2021 at 11:30, urban.spaceman said:

Don't get to many games now the with kids & the inlaws moving out of London, so I do remember the games I get to... and with us having come out with another version of the black shirt with light blue sash, I had my '04 shirt dug out & was the last time I saw us play in that kit (until next year, Adidas???)

To be fair, Sven had transformed the team with the loan signings & we were on a roll at the time & climbing the table & starting to look like we might crash the playoffs: QPR with Neil Warnock in charge were miles clear at the top, but it felt a real top of the table clash & we were a bit unlucky to lose 1-0 & I just remember their OTT celebrations at the end with an angry Neil Warnock wearing his shorts screaming his head off and Paddy Kenny being a right t**t.

The rest is history... we failed to make the playoffs, the next year started poorly, and Sven was gone: but at the time, I was on the Sven bandwagon & something was building, so if you'd have told me we'd be challenging at the top of the Premier League in 10 years, I'd have believed it, and I would have thought Sven would have been the one to deliver it!!!  

• Like 1