Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

Reports bring up Liverpool’s injury list again and saying how no team would cope with the same amount, 🤔 

Also Sky, well Redknapp, saying it would be a miracle if Liverpool make the top 4, really, a miracle? Yes they have injuries but they are Liverpool, Champions of England with all their resources and manager know how, let’s not try and dress this up as something it isn’t.
They are 5pts from 4th with a game in hand they can easily make top 4 it’s just another Avenue for them to rave about Liverpool when they do make top 4 and I imagine, hopefully if we are there, it will over shadow the story of us being in.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-news-danny-murphy-5057921

'Phenomenal' - Pundit makes Liverpool comparison when discussing Leicester City injury nightmare
The Foxes have been beset by injuries to key players all season and suffered another blow as Harvey Barnes was stretchered off during the defeat to Arsenal

ByMark WhileyFootball writer
13:19, 1 MAR 2021UPDATED13:41, 1 MAR 2021

Danny Murphy says it is a “phenomenal achievement” for Leicester City to be in the Premier League’s top four amid the club’s continuing injury woes.

The Foxes have been beset by injuries to key players all season and suffered another blow as Harvey Barnes was stretchered off with a knee injury during Sunday’s home defeat to Arsenal.

Former Liverpool and Tottenham midfielder Murphy believes the issues Brendan Rodgers has had to deal with have “gone under the radar” compared with the coverage of Liverpool’s injury problems.

“The injuries they’ve had to deal with, especially in defensive areas in the first few months of the season, went under the radar a little bit,” said Murphy on talkSPORT this morning.

“Added to that, you’ve had Maddison in and out, Vardy has not quite been at his fittest and Harvey Barnes, who’s been terrific, it looks like he’s going to be out for a prolonged period with a knee injury.

“Considering the problems he’s had to deal with season, the fact Leicester are still in the top four is phenomenal. I think he [Rodgers] deserves great credit.

Kia UEFA Europa League Celebrations Episode 1
“I like the fact he hasn’t whinged and moaned about it every week, especially when they’ve had bad results.

“We talked a lot more about Liverpool [injuries] and probably rightly so because they’re the champions.

“But Leicester, earlier in the season, had a phenomenal amount of defensive injuries.

“To still be in that top-four fight at this stage of the season is credit to them.”

It’s been disappointing few days for the Foxes, who crashed out of the Europa League at the hands of Slavia Prague on Thursday.

“There has to be question mark about his [Rodgers’] record in Europe with Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester,” added Murphy.

“But, let’s get things right, Leicester’s priority isn’t trying to win the Europa League. It’s a much bigger achievement for them to get into the top four and get Champions League football.

“From a progression point of view for the players, for the coaching staff and also from a financial point of view.

“So it’s not the end of the world that they went out of the Europa League.”

• Like 3

Sad news today about Ian St John (I am of that certain age when my first experience of football punditry was Saint & Greavsie & at in my head that has always ben the standard everyone else has to live up to!)

& a great picture with the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250355

Ian St John scored 118 goals in 425 games for Liverpool

I don't know if this has been discussed on here before (amid the comments that we don't get enough representation...), but the amount of stories on the BBC website which seem to be an excuse to put a Leicester picture in is more than just coincidence. (e.g. the fact that Leicester v's Villa was the last game before the lockdown last year was a continual excuse to show pictures from that game).

Anybody know if we have a fan whose job it is to put the pictures on the site?

9 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Sad news today about Ian St John (I am of that certain age when my first experience of football punditry was Saint & Greavsie & at in my head that has always ben the standard everyone else has to live up to!)

& a great picture with the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56250355

Ian St John scored 118 goals in 425 games for Liverpool

I don't know if this has been discussed on here before (amid the comments that we don't get enough representation...), but the amount of stories on the BBC website which seem to be an excuse to put a Leicester picture in is more than just coincidence. (e.g. the fact that Leicester v's Villa was the last game before the lockdown last year was a continual excuse to show pictures from that game).

Anybody know if we have a fan whose job it is to put the pictures on the site?

Remember him as a player and pundit, great player and complemented Greavsie to form a great partnership. RIP

Re BBC wedsite are you sure you're not viewing the Leicester City page because on the Football page there isn't a single mention of Leicester.

He’d have been in and as would have Barnes - 33 man squad to play 3 games. One of which would be against San Marino where he could slot in all different players and ‘get away with it’ 

The only debate would be if Justin played in the U21 Euros rather than senior squad 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

I said it at the time, Southgate will have been the only person in the world happy/relieved to see Justin injured. He's now not got to try and justify not selecting one of the best english full backs of the season.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Do you actually believe that Southgate is happy that one of the brightest young English prospects is injured? 

Absolutely, the man has his little clique of players and it'll avoid him having to field any difficult questions about not picking one of the best players in his position this season. The bloke is an absolute bore and is going to waste one of the most promising squads we've had in years

If you're picturing him getting home and popping the champers and having a little party then that's not the picture I was aiming to paint.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Matt said:

image.gif.8f145674f1b19f8f5591c033ea343cef.gif

Easy to say when you know there’s no chance of them being available I guess. 

Southgate must be quite relieved secretly.

Funny as I thought the same thing reading that. Easy to say he'd be in contention when he's out injured. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-news-danny-murphy-5057921

'Phenomenal' - Pundit makes Liverpool comparison when discussing Leicester City injury nightmare
The Foxes have been beset by injuries to key players all season and suffered another blow as Harvey Barnes was stretchered off during the defeat to Arsenal

ByMark WhileyFootball writer
13:19, 1 MAR 2021UPDATED13:41, 1 MAR 2021

Danny Murphy says it is a “phenomenal achievement” for Leicester City to be in the Premier League’s top four amid the club’s continuing injury woes.

The Foxes have been beset by injuries to key players all season and suffered another blow as Harvey Barnes was stretchered off with a knee injury during Sunday’s home defeat to Arsenal.

Former Liverpool and Tottenham midfielder Murphy believes the issues Brendan Rodgers has had to deal with have “gone under the radar” compared with the coverage of Liverpool’s injury problems.

“The injuries they’ve had to deal with, especially in defensive areas in the first few months of the season, went under the radar a little bit,” said Murphy on talkSPORT this morning.

“Added to that, you’ve had Maddison in and out, Vardy has not quite been at his fittest and Harvey Barnes, who’s been terrific, it looks like he’s going to be out for a prolonged period with a knee injury.

“Considering the problems he’s had to deal with season, the fact Leicester are still in the top four is phenomenal. I think he [Rodgers] deserves great credit.

Kia UEFA Europa League Celebrations Episode 1
“I like the fact he hasn’t whinged and moaned about it every week, especially when they’ve had bad results.

“We talked a lot more about Liverpool [injuries] and probably rightly so because they’re the champions.

“But Leicester, earlier in the season, had a phenomenal amount of defensive injuries.

“To still be in that top-four fight at this stage of the season is credit to them.”

It’s been disappointing few days for the Foxes, who crashed out of the Europa League at the hands of Slavia Prague on Thursday.

“There has to be question mark about his [Rodgers’] record in Europe with Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester,” added Murphy.

“But, let’s get things right, Leicester’s priority isn’t trying to win the Europa League. It’s a much bigger achievement for them to get into the top four and get Champions League football.

“From a progression point of view for the players, for the coaching staff and also from a financial point of view.

“So it’s not the end of the world that they went out of the Europa League.”

See..!! good ol'  Danny aint that bad..:)

9 hours ago, Matt said:

image.gif.8f145674f1b19f8f5591c033ea343cef.gif

Easy to say when you know there’s no chance of them being available I guess. 

Southgate must be quite relieved secretly.

Maybe he is just throwing JJ a bone.

He hasn't actually had to deal with the selection headache and hasn't even said he would've picked him anyway.

I don't like Southgate any more than the next person but this "anti-Leicester" bias is cringeworthy sometimes.

Edited by ajthefox
typo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Do you actually believe that Southgate is happy that one of the brightest young English prospects is injured? 

Not happy but Southgate does seem resistant to hype about players playing well outside of his usual squad choices.

I think Justin and Barnes would've been involved in this squad but his Euro squad is probably sorted already.

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

I think he does actually believe it. People love to ignore facts and figures if they don’t fit their agenda. Hasn’t Southgate given England debuts to about 40 players? He’s been at an awful lot of Leicester games this year, strange place to be if he wasn’t considering any of our players. 

He was a breath of fresh air to begin with, but once he found his group he rarely gave anyone else a chance. Grealish took far to long to be given a fair crack. 

He likes his football boring and dull and it's reflected in the way England play time and time and time again. He has his group of players he trusts to carry out his boring football and it's generally only injuries, friendlies or insane media pressure that force his hand.

I find myself disagreeing with almost everything you say on here so at least it'd make for and decent pub chat :D

• Like 1