Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

8 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Comedy gold from Danny Murphy

It's weird, with the likes of Danny Murphy and Gabby Agbonlahor. I'm still not sure whether they are being serious with the stuff they come out with, or just being controversial so they have a job as pundits?

If it's the former, then it's baffling to me how they exhibit such an astonishing lack of understanding of the game. Maybe it's true after all – just because someone has played at the top level, doesn't mean they necessarily have a scooby doo what they're talking about. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I didn't really see anything particularly unreasonable here. Spurs are underachieving and we are overachieving. And he even recognises the fantastic development work BR has done on our players. 

It's all a bit irrelevant anyhow - we finished above them last season and have a good chance of finishing above them again this year. 

I agree. 

They were in a Champions League Final 2 seasons ago. Something has clearly gone wrong. 

Just on Son, I think he’s a brilliant player. However, would you now take him over Harvey Barnes?

Man for Man, on paper you’d say at the start of the season, they should be higher than us.

How many of that team, would you swap for ours? Moura to play right wing? Kane is a brilliant, brilliant player but would he work for us like Vardy? 

We have 3 better right backs. I like Regillion, however he’s not set the world alight. 

At centre back, I think we’ve excelled this season. Most teams in the league would like to have Fofana or Cags. 

Lloris / Kasper is debatable and could swing either way. 

They should be doing much better, Football doesn’t work like that though.

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

I agree. 

They were in a Champions League Final 2 seasons ago. Something has clearly gone wrong. 

Just on Son, I think he’s a brilliant player. However, would you now take him over Harvey Barnes?

Man for Man, on paper you’d say at the start of the season, they should be higher than us.

How many of that team, would you swap for ours? Moura to play right wing? Kane is a brilliant, brilliant player but would he work for us like Vardy? 

We have 3 better right backs. I like Regillion, however he’s not set the world alight. 

At centre back, I think we’ve excelled this season. Most teams in the league would like to have Fofana or Cags. 

The argument is only there because we are where we are. If we were Chelsea, that wouldn’t even be a conversation. Tottenham would just be slightly under achieving and that would be it. 

I liked Simon Jordan’s input, seemed impartial and was taking things on face value. 

15 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

The argument is only there because we are where we are. If we were Chelsea, that wouldn’t even be a conversation. Tottenham would just be slightly under achieving and that would be it. 

I liked Simon Jordan’s input, seemed impartial and was taking things on face value. 

I don’t listen to TalkSport as much, since I’ve been working from home, however he seems fairly reasonable. 

You’re not wrong though. 

If you built two Premiership XI (+ subs) to play each other now, I think Leicester players would be heavily featured. With 32ish players, I’d like to think we’d have a good number.

Just watched that Danny Murphy /Simon Jordan clip. Got to be honest I don’t know how anyone can disagree hugely with what Murphy said? It’s pretty reasonable to suggest Spurs should be level or ahead of us, but we have a far superior manager and they don’t. Don’t really get the fuss 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TJB-fox said:

Just watched that Danny Murphy /Simon Jordan clip. Got to be honest I don’t know how anyone can disagree hugely with what Murphy said? It’s pretty reasonable to suggest Spurs should be level or ahead of us, but we have a far superior manager and they don’t. Don’t really get the fuss 

I don’t think Spurs should necessarily be level or ahead of us. Other than because they’re ‘Spurs’ and they have a couple of big names. 

I think that’s what Jordan was getting at.

You have to look past the name, look at the individual players, the management (at all levels) and there’s no reason to suggest Spurs should be ahead of us. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t think Spurs should necessarily be level or ahead of us. Other than because they’re ‘Spurs’ and they have a couple of big names. 

I think that’s what Jordan was getting at.

You have to look past the name, look at the individual players, the management (at all levels) and there’s no reason to suggest Spurs should be ahead of us. 

How can you look past the name? The bigger clubs finish in the top places 90% of the time for a reason. They’ve consistently finished in Europe in the past 10 years, their revenue smashes ours out the park and their stadium is one of the best in the world. 

We are currently trying to aspire to what they have achieved (and more) in recent history re regular champions league football. Of course it’s not a given they should be level or above us but it’s not unreasonable to say they shouldn’t. 

The conversation eventually boiled down to  Mourinho v Rodgers and do I think if the management had swapped places for their time at each club spurs would be above us? Probably yeah.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sly said:

I agree. 

We finished above Tottenham last season & man for man they are not a better team than us. I’d say we are where we should be in terms of quality and Tottenham are under performing, but put Rodgers in at Spurs and I they’d be a similar position to us now. 

My Spurs mate got excited when they appointed JM saying he always wins something. I said I think his tactics have been found out and they look tired going from his past few jobs.

Even when they beat us 3-0 at their place last season they were just playing on the counter against us at their place! Pundits were saying it was a tactical master class where I’d argue Kane’s finishing was astonishing and he was up against severely weakened CB’s with Bennett and Morgan. Spurs do have a decent squad, I think ours is better but they way JM sets them up they were always going to drop off.

2 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

My Spurs mate got excited when they appointed JM saying he always wins something. I said I think his tactics have been found out and they look tired going from his past few jobs.

Even when they beat us 3-0 at their place last season they were just playing on the counter against us at their place! Pundits were saying it was a tactical master class where I’d argue Kane’s finishing was astonishing and he was up against severely weakened CB’s with Bennett and Morgan. Spurs do have a decent squad, I think ours is better but they way JM sets them up they were always going to drop off.

I honesty think he wasnt bothered about failing and is happy to get paid with a pay off if he gets firedas Spurs wont define his legacy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sly said:

I agree. 

If we're restricted to only bringing in Spurs players then Moura is a no-brainer, not because he's especially great but it's a problem position for us right now.

I'd definitely take Kane as our backup striker.  Son to give Barnes competition.  Ndombele for an extra pair of legs in midfield with all our injury problems.  That's about it though.

19 hours ago, Koke said:

They're still not over it...

I would be devastated if we signed him. 

He's not that good, as a standard, and he thinks pulling silly faces and doing silly hand signals is a personality. I hold him in contempt in spite of any footballing talent. 

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

How can you look past the name? The bigger clubs finish in the top places 90% of the time for a reason. They’ve consistently finished in Europe in the past 10 years, their revenue smashes ours out the park and their stadium is one of the best in the world. 

We are currently trying to aspire to what they have achieved (and more) in recent history re regular champions league football. Of course it’s not a given they should be level or above us but it’s not unreasonable to say they shouldn’t. 

The conversation eventually boiled down to  Mourinho v Rodgers and do I think if the management had swapped places for their time at each club spurs would be above us? Probably yeah.

Of course you can look past the name in regards to league position.

They’ve got a bigger/newer stadium (which they can’t afford right now), that doesn’t guarantee results, especially as there are no fans. 

We have a much better training facility, which ‘could’ have an impact on performances and results.

The playing squad aren’t too dissimilar, however I’d probably prefer ours as a collective.

Looking hypothetically at who manages who is irrelevant because Rodgers is our manager, José is theirs. The debate went that way because Murphy was losing and used that to claw his way back into it.

How long does a clubs name guarantee them a high league position? It’s not like Spurs have been up there for the better part of the past decade or two is it? They’re the newest addition to the ‘big 6’.

Revenue is irrelevant if you don’t recruit well. 

You absolutely have to look past the name. Whether that be Spurs, Mourinho or Bale... because those 3 big names are doing absolutely nothing to suggest that they should be anywhere near us. 

Granted, it’s not unreasonable to expect them to be up there, with their resources, squad and manager, but they aren’t. That’ll continue to be the case until something drastic happens at the club and I can personally only see them going one way from here.

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

I know it's not that deep but Murphy is going out of his way to protect Spurs there. Any reason for Leicester being better is met with an excuse and it's only because X or Y. 

If Spurs were better, it'd be natural order. A very simple way of looking at football that appeases top 6 loving simpletons.