Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

New Leicester City Doctor

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-leicester-city-doctor-used-5038869

Dr Bryan English arrived from Middlesbrough around the start of the current campaign to take on a head of medicine role, with former lead physio Dave Rennie leaving the club

ByJordan Blackwell
11:00, 24 FEB 2021UPDATED11:02, 24 FEB 2021

Dr Bryan English (left) and senior first-team physiotherapist Simon Murphy treat James Maddison during Leicester City's win over Aston Villa
Dr Bryan English (left) and senior first-team physiotherapist Simon Murphy treat James Maddison during Leicester City's win over Aston Villa (Image: Tim Keeton - Pool/Getty Images)

It has been a busy season for the newest member of Leicester City’s backroom staff.

Dr Bryan English was appointed as the club’s head of medicine around the start of the season after the club underwent a restructure.

Former head physio Dave Rennie left the club after 20 years with City seeking a full-time doctor to lead the department.

“It was nothing to do with Dave’s work,” said manager Brendan Rodgers last September, after Rennie’s departure. “He’s been a real loyal servant to the club for over 20 years. He worked very hard at all levels. He did a fantastic job here.

“What we had is, with everything going on with the pandemic and the move to the new training ground, we were one of the only clubs in the Premier League that didn’t have a full-time doctor.

“Our idea was to revamp the medical team and we’re looking to bring in a head of medicine to oversee the medical side ahead of that transition to a new training ground.

“Dave did some great work with the club, has been around for many years, and he went with our best wishes, but now we’re going down a different path.”

And English was recruited to that role, having worked with Rodgers previously. He was medical director at Chelsea when the City boss was the club’s reserve team manager.

Previously, English had worked with Team GB at the Sydney and Athens Olympic Games in 2000 and 2004, and since leaving Chelsea, he has held a role at Derby County, while he arrived at City from Middlesbrough, where he worked as club doctor.

English was very well thought of on Teesside, and in April last year, when football was shut down amid the coronavirus pandemic, English offered his services to North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust, helping those with fractures and musculoskeletal issues in order to free up other doctors to focus on patients with Covid-19.

In 2018, The Verve frontman Richard Ashcroft thanked English at a gig at Middlesbrough Town Hall, the doctor coming to the rescue after the musician was taken unwell before taking to the stage.

Now at City, English has had to deal with a busy treatment room with several injury crises over the course of the season.

Of City’s current 25-man senior squad, 15 have had injuries at some point this season. The club currently have James Justin, Dennis Praet, Wes Morgan, Wesley Fofana, and Ayoze Perez on the sidelines, while an update on James Maddison’s hip will be given on Wednesday lunchtime.

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I thought we did have a doctor previously but he’d passed away last season? 

Stuart Birtwhistle was his name.

He worked part time I think, Brendan wanted a full time one. 

The wages are probably like 150k per year, that's like two weeks wages for Slimani. Can't see why Rennie needed to be sacked to make way, if it indeed was just 'restructuring'. We could have used the extra help this season.. 

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

The wages are probably like 150k per year, that's like two weeks wages for Slimani. Can't see why Rennie needed to be sacked to make way, if it indeed was just 'restructuring'. We could have used the extra help this season.. 

Probably did sack him and this is a weasel worded way of avoiding any tribunals or whatnot.

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Welcome Mr English. Good to have a full-time doctor on board.

I thought Rennie was "sacked"? Or did I imagine that?

According to foxestalk Dave was sacked because of the injuries last season, the reality was BR probably wanted to restructure the medical department and Dave wasn't keen on new role or working under someone after 20 years 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brucey said:

It's nonsense, the club don't get rid of loyal long term employees for no reason, we just aren't that sort of club. There had to be another reason outside of just reorganising things, either David wasn't keen on working under another person for instance. Or he didn't agree with certain things Rodgers was asking of the players and there was a clash. I mean, look at our injury record since Rodgers came in, it's pretty horrific. It makes you wonder if Rennie was against certain things. 

Of course there can be numerous other reasons and it's just speculation, but I certainly don't buy their reasoning. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

It's nonsense, the club don't get rid of loyal long term employees for no reason, we just aren't that sort of club. There had to be another reason outside of just reorganising things, either David wasn't keen on working under another person for instance. Or he didn't agree with certain things Rodgers was asking of the players and there was a clash. I mean, look at our injury record since Rodgers came in, it's pretty horrific. It makes you wonder if Rennie was against certain things. 

Of course there can be numerous other reasons and it's just speculation, but I certainly don't buy their reasoning. 

Not sure it any thing to do with Rodgers, I don't think our injury recorded was bad under him before the first COVID lockdown.

I think it's just the result of having a mid season hiatus, with a quick restart and then a compressed season.

All clubs have been effect.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure it any thing to do with Rodgers, I don't think our injury recorded was bad under him before the first COVID lockdown.

I think it's just the result of having a mid season hiatus, with a quick restart and then a compressed season.

All clubs have been effect.

We had loads of injuries from about mid December last year all the way through and past the restart an into this season. If it was JUST the post lockdown injuries I wouldn't even mention it. But they did start before that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Well SFE kept getting the team sheets after he left so might as well hire him back and try sacking someone else instead :ph34r:

Interesting that SFE has gone all quiet about team news since a certain winger went off to Germany :ph34r:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We had loads of injuries from about mid December last year all the way through and past the restart an into this season. If it was JUST the post lockdown injuries I wouldn't even mention it. But they did start before that. 

Pretty sure we had a static line up in December, but my memory isn't the best.

Still not convinced it anything more then a busy schedule and a bit of bad luck. 

Will be interesting to see if it carries on next season.

Whatever the facts are Rennie done a brilliant job over the years especially our Title year. I don't ever remember us having so many injures as this season.

I think it would be good for Moral if he came back, As I understand he had a good relationship with the Players.

The new Doctor seems  experienced in this area of medicine so I'm sure he should understand the fact that he has a Medical Degree.