Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

1 hour ago, davieG said:

If we drop out of the top 4 we'll be forever known as bottlers and if we thought this season was bad with the constant reference to our collapse last year well hide behind the sofa because it'll be torture.

Then there's the FA Cup lose that and we'll be record breakers  5 Finals 5 Defeats.

Hopefully the thought of these will motivate them to succeed. 

We already hold the record for most FA Cup finals without winning it. We'd just be stretching our lead if we lost again.:(

52 minutes ago, turlo said:

Lets hope they prioritise the Liverpool game and rest a few players against us. Surely they have to prioritise Liverpool as they've not beaten them in the league for years now and this will be their best chance of doing so for a while

Surely Man U would also love to stop Liverpool getting UCL. But it is a worry that they've fitted the game as they have as it is definitely possible that Man U could decide to rest players for the Liverpool game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We already hold the record for most FA Cup finals without winning it. We'd just be stretching our lead if we lost again.:(

Yet I know and had to live with it.

These have never won it, a sad looking list.

1. Leicester City - 1949, 1961, 1963, 1969. A record of 4 finals without a win. Lost to a different club each time.
  2. Queen’s Park - 1884, 1885. Lost to Blackburn Rovers both times. The only Scottish club to reach the final of the FA Cup.
  3. Birmingham City - 1931, 1956. Rivals Aston Villa have won 7 times.
  4. Crystal Palace - 1990, 2016. Lost to Manchester United both times. First .time was in a replay. Lost at both the Old and New Wembley Stadium.
  5. Watford - 2019. Biggest defeat in an FA Cup final.
  6. Bristol City - 1909. First “Southern” club to reach the FA Cup final whilst playing in the top flight.
  7. Luton Town - 1959. Elton John’s cousin scored against them.
  8. Fulham - 1975. Lost to West Ham United in the first ever all-London final.
  9. Queens Park Rangers - 1982. Lost to Tottenham Hotspur after a replay. 2nd year in a row with Spurs winning after a replay.
  10. Brighton & Hove Albion - 1983. Lost to Manchester United after a replay, the 3rd year in a row with a replayed final.
  11. Middlesbrough - 1997. Last Yorkshire club to reach the FA Cup final at the Old Wembley.
  12. Millwall - 2004. The only club outside of the Premier League to play in an FA Cup final outside of England.
  13. Stoke City - 2011. Their only final in 119 attempts (to date).
  14. Hull City - 2014. First Yorkshire club to reach the FA Cup final at the New Wembley
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

1. Leicester City - 1949, 1961, 1963, 1969. A record of 4 finals without a win. Lost to a different club each time.
  2. Queen’s Park - 1884, 1885. Lost to Blackburn Rovers both times. The only Scottish club to reach the final of the FA Cup.
  4. Crystal Palace - 1990, 2016. Lost to Manchester United both times. First .time was in a replay. Lost at both the Old and New Wembley Stadium.
  6. Bristol City - 1909. First “Southern” club to reach the FA Cup final whilst playing in the top flight.
  9. Queens Park Rangers - 1982. Lost to Tottenham Hotspur after a replay. 2nd year in a row with Spurs winning after a replay.
  10. Brighton & Hove Albion - 1983. Lost to Manchester United after a replay, the 3rd year in a row with a replayed final.
  11. Middlesbrough - 1997. Last Yorkshire club to reach the FA Cup final at the Old Wembley.
  12. Millwall - 2004. The only club outside of the Premier League to play in an FA Cup final outside of England.
  14. Hull City - 2014. First Yorkshire club to reach the FA Cup final at the New Wembley

Think Watford also lost a second final in 1983 or 1984 - to Everton.

We would be the obvious one to rest players but I may be biased. You would have thought they're used to playing Thursday/Sunday and if they beat Villa then all pressure is off as it guarantees top four in all but GD. I'd love to see them put a spoke in Liverpool's wheel by sending out the ressies against us and full throttle versus Liverpool. :D

Thu - Roma (a)

Sun - Villa (a)

Tues - Leicester (h)

Thu - Liverpool (h)

Tue - Fulham (h)

• Like 3

This will probably be the last few hours of "Did you know that if Arsenal win the Europa League and..." so enjoy the 1.8% chance that it could happen while it lasts. Otherwise if Arsenal do get through the chance of the trifecta will jump to between 4-5%!

21 hours ago, davieG said:

I'm guessing there's something special about Yorkshire? :P 

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

This will probably be the last few hours of "Did you know that if Arsenal win the Europa League and..." so enjoy the 1.8% chance that it could happen while it lasts. Otherwise if Arsenal do get through the chance of the trifecta will jump to between 4-5%!

So what happens again if Chelsea and Arsenal win the European cups again? 

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, davieG said:

Thought no Bristol club had ever played in the top flight? You know, largest city in Europe never to have seen top fight football?

19 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

It's about 4.5% now after Chelsea won and will be about 9% if Arsenal win tonight.

I'm not concerned at all and saving my worry for the Newcastle match. I'd take 4th now and take my chances. It would be an interesting week for Leicester fans if we finish 4th and Chelsea below us and cheering on the Manchester clubs in their respective finals as much as the Mancs. :D

8 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Thought no Bristol club had ever played in the top flight? You know, largest city in Europe never to have seen top fight football?

Without googling it's a Russian city with 1m population beginning with I IIRC.

Where you going to say Plymouth?

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Without googling it's a Russian city with 1m population beginning with I IIRC.

Where you going to say Plymouth?

Er, Bristol?!

Not Googling it either, but whatever UEFA & FIFA might say, I’m not having Russia being in Europe!

Now that Hull City are playing Premiership football, which is the largest European city never to have had a top-flight team?

John Gansler, Sandown, Isle of Wight

Same as it was before - Ufa, in the foothills of the Urals. Population just over a million. Perennial Russian ice hockey champions but way down the pyramid in football. 

Robin Horton, Birmingham, UK

This has already been answered by the Guardian, on the Knowledge section of the football website. Short answer is Ufa in Russia, with a population of over 1 million, which of course means that it already was the largest city in Europe never to have had a top flight team. If the western Urals is a bit too far-fetched, Wiesbaden in Germany is also larger than Hull and has never had a team in the highest level of the Bundesliga. Plymouth is currently the UK town/city to be the largest without a top flight team, although Milton Keynes will probably soon outgrow it. 

Neil McKenna, Sevenoaks 

Personally, I'd say Glasgow! 

Paul Thompson, Perth, Scotland

I am tempted to say Glasgow! 

Paul Thompson, Perth, Scotland

Newcastle upon Tyne. Spiritually. 

Bella McDonald, Newcastle, UK

I don't know about the largest, but the title for smallest has to be the Vatican City. And Paul Thompson, I'll see you outside! 

John Bennett, Glasgow, Scotland

Oh God ... I think I'm losing the will to live ... 

Sheila Kirby, Esbjerg, Denmark

Think that covers it @Gerard?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

It's about 4.5% now after Chelsea won and will be about 9% if Arsenal win tonight.

I'm not concerned at all and saving my worry for the Newcastle match. I'd take 4th now and take my chances. It would be an interesting week for Leicester fans if we finish 4th and Chelsea below us and cheering on the Manchester clubs in their respective finals as much as the Mancs. :D

not top 4 (31%) * champions league (36%) * Europa (16%) = 1.8%

Guest glasgowfox

Sorry guys....man of a certain age....am I right in saying we really dont want arsenal to win as it could fek us up...apologies if I am being a bit thick 😣😣

4 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

The club's highest-ever league finish was second in the top flight in 1906–07.