Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

30 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Three games ago, we were:   +1 ahead of West Ham, +2 ahead of Chelsea, +4 ahead of Liverpool and +7 ahead of Spurs.

Right now we are:                  +5 ahead of West Ham, +2 ahead of Chelsea, +9 ahead of Liverpool (with game in hand) and +7 ahead of Spurs.

None of the chasing pack have made ground on us (even if Liverpool had won their game in hand).

Let's take a longer view than just 3 games.

Over the past TEN games, only Chelsea and Spurs have made any ground on us.

Chelsea have closed the gap by 2 pts and Spurs 3 pts, and they actually played 11 games to our 10 in that period.

• Like 4

People look at the fixture list left for all the teams and predict our opponents will virtually win all their games as they're against lesser teams and we will lose most of our it because three of our games are against "big six" sides.

According to the spreads we're still predicted to finish 4pts ahead of both West Ham and Liverpool who the spreads have finishing on 64.5pts.

Beat Newcastle on Friday and we're already on 65pts so that may well be enough. We then have lots of outs whether that be 2 or 3 pts in the next two away games or other teams around us not winning the games they need to. 

If we beat Newcastle on Friday and Chelsea lose to Man City away on Saturday that's a 5pt gap so even a draw at Chelsea forces them to beat Arsenal and Villa and hope we screw up.

Everyone wants this done ASAP but we have loads of outs and just need one really good week to go for us and that will be enough. It would even take something spectacularly bad for us to go into the Tottenham game without a chance.

• Like 3

Bad weekend for us on the whole I think. Southampton was winnable and even more so given their red card but we didn't really turn up until we went behind.

Chelsea & Spurs were always going to win. Liverpool's game is still to come but who knows when they'll play it - I suppose it will make their schedule a bit tougher though as they'll now have more midweek games as a result. West Ham is the annoying one.

The real ****er to me is that this Chelsea/Arsenal European double has become a real possibility at this point. Why oh why could Villarreal have not just killed them off at 2-0. That said the ref giving that penalty was an utter disgrace. I don't totally trust Villarreal to see the job through either.

Friday is a very big game. I think if we don't win it, we're in real danger of missing out again.

But I think we'll win it. Unconvincingly like the Palace game, we find a way. I also have a feeling West Ham will drop points to Everton.

The problem we currently see is our team played 80 mins against ten men and failed to create many decent chances. And against palace was similar 

West Ham went to Burnley and made loads, looked incisive and won 

Chelsea look v efficient 

but West Ham had just lost a couple on the bounce

we need to hold our nerve and see what Friday evening brings 

if it’s another lacklustre performance without three points then we do indeed need to start running around waving our arms in all directions....

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Bad weekend for us on the whole I think. Southampton was winnable and even more so given their red card but we didn't really turn up until we went behind.

Chelsea & Spurs were always going to win. Liverpool's game is still to come but who knows when they'll play it - I suppose it will make their schedule a bit tougher though as they'll now have more midweek games as a result. West Ham is the annoying one.

The real ****er to me is that this Chelsea/Arsenal European double has become a real possibility at this point. Why oh why could Villarreal have not just killed them off at 2-0. That said the ref giving that penalty was an utter disgrace. I don't totally trust Villarreal to see the job through either.

Friday is a very big game. I think if we don't win it, we're in real danger of missing out again.

But I think we'll win it. Unconvincingly like the Palace game, we find a way. I also have a feeling West Ham will drop points to Everton.

I still believe Manchester United will win the Europa League. They’re a far better team than Arsenal. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Three games ago, we were:   +1 ahead of West Ham, +2 ahead of Chelsea, +4 ahead of Liverpool and +7 ahead of Spurs.

Right now we are:                  +5 ahead of West Ham, +2 ahead of Chelsea, +9 ahead of Liverpool (with game in hand) and +7 ahead of Spurs.

None of the chasing pack have made ground on us (even if Liverpool had won their game in hand).

Great post but it's a retro view. 

The point people (like myself) are making is that the period we have been through....the aim was to increase the gap. Reasons being our remaining fixtures and our ability to handle being in high pressure situations. 

Team sports are down to not just peaking ....but peaking at the right time. Being able to handle that pressure and getting over the line when it counts. Being too 4 all season is useless if you aren't there on the last weekend (as we have painfully discovered). 

I want to see big performances from players who didn't play well in the final run in. Have they improved at all and showed they can cope? I'm a big critic of Maddison but I thought he was awful against Soton. Vardy needs to start scoring. Ndidi and Tilemans need to get going and the defence need to start cutting out errors. 

We are playing a totally different set of teams in terms of their mindset and set up compared to the start of the season.... Chelsea and spurs will be thinking 'keep Kel quiet and they've got nothing'. We need other players to step up to show they belong at the top table. 

• Like 1

To be fair I think we will be fine.

we’ve not been on terrible run this season at all (which is a miracle considering the injuries we’ve had) we’ve taken points off teams around us, and it’s only been West Ham we’ve slipped up against twice. 

We only need two wins, or just need to avoid defeats with a win thrown in. So I think it will pan out like this.

We will beat Newcastle 

Draw to United (if the game gets played) 

Draw to Chelsea and I think we will save the best until last by savaging Spurs.

In between that we will sneak a cheeky FA cup win in too.

To be honest I wouldn’t put it past us beating United, the off the field antics could have caused them one or two issues, there’s a chance due to their schedule they might have not played Liverpool by the time they play us. So I’m going to throw a real bold claim out and say we will sneak into second. A bit like Arsenal did the season we won the league. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

So IF we win, or at least do not lose this Friday, Saturday's games are ripe with possibility as we would be on 63 (L), 64 (D) or 66 (W)

image.png.377935a99ee7779698ebaaabcccd5230.png

Spurs could struggle with Leeds, but depends which Leeds turn up, but feeling a D so 57

Man City still will not be champions so need to focus, so  lets hope Chelsea L (61) or at most D (62)

Liverpool against Saints, God knows  :dunno: so lets says a W (59) and if they win their game in hand against Man Utd (62)

So if we don`t at least draw, only Chelsea could go ahead (And that requires a win at title chasing Man City) and we have between the last 3 already this season :ph34r:

:scarf:

Edited by Dahnsouff

We need to chill out a bit now! If last season hadn't of happened we wouldn't be considering that this could go Pete Tong. 

Newcastle is a must win game for sure. A cup final in it's own right, and if we win that we avoid the majority of the scrap of the last 3 games, however if we win that and lose all of the last 3 games, we don't deserve CL do we.

We've asked the club for years to have a bigger club mentality and help us grow, which they have done. We need to change our mentality now and believe the lads will see us through. 

Poor result Friday for sure. Poor performance. Brendan will have them ready for Friday. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So IF we win, or at least do not lose this Friday, Saturday's games are ripe with possibility as we would be on 63 (L), 64 (D) or 66 (W)

Spurs could struggle with Leeds, but depends which Leeds turn up, but feeling a D so 57

Man City still will not be champions so need to focus, so  lets hope Chelsea L (61) or at most D (62)

Liverpool against Saints, God knows  :dunno: so lets says a W (59) and if they win their game in hand against Man Utd (62)

So if we don`t at least draw, only Chelsea could go ahead (And that requires a win at title chasing Man City) and we have between the last 3 already this season :ph34r:

Why are Liverpool getting 5 points for beating Soton? Am I missing something?

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

I always preferred English at school  :blush:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

2 bonus points for artistic merit in the diving class.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, manders86 said:

Newcastle is a must win game for sure. A cup final in it's own right, and if we win that we avoid the majority of the scrap of the last 3 games, however if we win that and lose all of the last 3 games, we don't deserve CL do we.

This. We don’t want to start next season on the back of three straight losses. The final table does not lie.

36 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

West Ham are at home to Everton on Sunday too. An Everton draw or win would be huge.