Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

Florentino Perez to El Larguero: “The #SuperLeague is not dead, we’ll continue working on this project. Now it’s on stand-by”.

This guy is determined to destroy his own creation singlehandedly with interviews like this. All this will do, is fire up the footballing world again and any wavering of making reforms or hitting them with sanctions etc, won't happen and they will get hit even harder. What an absolute deluded baffoon! 

Florentino Perez: "UEFA made an offer that surprised me. The President of the federation should be the right person to talk about it. It looks like we dropped an atomic bomb"

Things like this worry me. For all UEFA and FIFAs posturing in the media. You just know they are doing grubby deals with these greedy gits in the shadows. 

Doubt any reforms will come from them. We need Government to step in here and change the rules. 

• Like 4

Perez also just confirmed that there is a penalty fee for leaving the Super League and no one has yet paid it and so technically they are all still in it lol

Definitely not going to be cheap! Probably go right into Perez's pocket too. This is hilarious! 

This interview is a disaster! Tomorrow's reaction to all this will be mental :clap:

47 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Florentino Perez: "UEFA made an offer that surprised me. The President of the federation should be the right person to talk about it. It looks like we dropped an atomic bomb"

Things like this worry me. For all UEFA and FIFAs posturing in the media. You just know they are doing grubby deals with these greedy gits in the shadows. 

Doubt any reforms will come from them. We need Government to step in here and change the rules. 

UEFA is going to give them 95% of what they want and screw over everybody else.  I think that's pretty much a given.

The problem is that all these clubs have become what they are by putting themselves into huge debts, buying all the best players and paying them all ridiculous sums of money is all very well and good, but it seems that if you live on credit, and something goes tits up, it’s you’re own fault if you can’t pay the bills. How can you have a system like ffp that is designed so a club has to spend what they earn and then end up with a billion quids worth of debt. These clubs have effectively destroyed themselves with chasing a dream they cannot afford. 

• Thanks 1

If theybwant to do a UK league, they should do it like the MLS. 

England have their league and Scotland it's own. At the end of the season after winners have been crowned and all, top 4 from each go into playoffs against each other to determine a UK winner. 

It will generate extra cash but the fans will see it for what it is. Glorified friendlies. 

12 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

If theybwant to do a UK league, they should do it like the MLS. 

England have their league and Scotland it's own. At the end of the season after winners have been crowned and all, top 4 from each go into playoffs against each other to determine a UK winner. 

It will generate extra cash but the fans will see it for what it is. Glorified friendlies. 

I've absolutely no desire to see it. I respect that Rangers and Celtic are huge tribal clubs but I don't see what benefit there is to bringing all that shit in to our league, it would be chaos. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've absolutely no desire to see it. I respect that Rangers and Celtic are huge tribal clubs but I don't see what benefit there is to bringing all that shit in to our league, it would be chaos. 

Mate, trust me. I know first hand why we shouldn't invite them down. I was simply offering a solution that would appease those in the game that want to see it for some reason whilst keeping them away from our league. 

A breakaway mini tournament at the end of the year tht would crown a "Brittish champion" would do that. It could even be held abroad to keep those animals out of English cities. Let Ney York host that sh!t. 

• Like 2

Interesting - Ed Woodward & The Glazers: What happens now at Man Utd after Super League collapse? - YouTube

Sounds like the UK government may have been part of the scuppering, also interesting that German clubs are just options for American investors

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It might show Chris Sutton how "mighty" Celtic are compared to little Ol' Leicester, but I totally agree with you. These clubs need to stop trying to find disruptive ways to exploit the game and accept that, while far from perfect, the game we all enjoy doesn't need their meddling to fix it.

Providing it is based on sporting merit, everyone can be relegated, win CL spots etc, I wouldn’t mind an 18 team version of the PL that included Celtic and Rangers tbh. 

It’d bring more, passionate, fans and would likely improve the average quality of teams in the league. 

I know I’d prefer to watch Leicester v Celtic than v this season’s Sheffield United. 

I guess one downside would probably be reduced number of relegation spots and an increased number of European spots (given less teams + addition of two teams that are regular qualifiers to europe).

Given the increase in the number of European games, we will likely have to drop the league cup or do something like this to reduce the total number of fixtures. I’d prefer this and keeping the league cup personally. 

But it should need to be signed off by the likes Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs etc as they may face negative outcomes from doing this. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Lowering the number of PL teams and bringing them pair in? Be careful what you wish for

That would be difficult to manage anyway, to reduce to 18 and include the Old Firm.  It would involve relegating 4 from the Prem with no promotion etc for a year. Screwing up the rest of the league system, likely causing a few to go out of business down the leagues. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Lowering the number of PL teams and bringing them pair in? Be careful what you wish for

I’m just looking at the number of additional European games coming up, something has to give. It’s going to be either a smaller league or the loss of the league cup. At least a smaller league should lead to an increase in quality on average.

Their rivalry is box office. Fan experience going to Parkhead is superior to many top flight English grounds I’ve been to (can’t speak for Ibrox tbf as I haven’t been to that one).

Edited by FoxesWalk