Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

39 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Providing it is based on sporting merit, everyone can be relegated, win CL spots etc, I wouldn’t mind an 18 team version of the PL that included Celtic and Rangers tbh. 

It’d bring more, passionate, fans and would likely improve the average quality of teams in the league. 

I know I’d prefer to watch Leicester v Celtic than v this season’s Sheffield United. 

I guess one downside would probably be reduced number of relegation spots and an increased number of European spots (given less teams + addition of two teams that are regular qualifiers to europe).

Given the increase in the number of European games, we will likely have to drop the league cup or do something like this to reduce the total number of fixtures. I’d prefer this and keeping the league cup personally. 

But it should need to be signed off by the likes Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs etc as they may face negative outcomes from doing this. 

So you'd happily see 4 teams chucked out of the PL to accommodate these 2 whilst also making it evermore difficult for Championship teams to play and stay in the PL. I'm sure Sheff Utd fans are as passionate as any

As for teams like Sheffield Utd who have a long history established in1854 and are part of what makes football what it is in England.

Remember it wasn't that long ago that we were a 'Sheffield Utd'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m afraid the system we all live in promotes capital interests over pretty much anything else, and more so if you live in countries without the accountable / democratic systems we have. We have these checks and balances, and it still goes on here - just look at the cronyism, corruption and sleaze at the heart of this government.

As many have pointed out, people got up in arms about the proposed Super League, but its funny that they can’t get up in arms about another class of rich people from Eton ruling over them, treating them with contempt, making a right hash of things and always making sure the masses are at arms length.

2 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I’m afraid the system we all live in promotes capital interests over pretty much anything else, and more so if you live in countries without the accountable / democratic systems we have. We have these checks and balances, and it still goes on here - just look at the cronyism, corruption and sleaze at the heart of this every government.

As many have pointed out, people got up in arms about the proposed Super League, but its funny that they can’t get up in arms about another class of rich people from Eton ruling over them, treating them with contempt, making a right hash of things and always making sure the masses are at arms length.

Plenty of our governments of other political persuasions have made a right hash of things it's certainly not unique to the Tories..

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

How about stopping the ever increasing number of European games, losing the FLC would be a nail in the coffin of many a lower league side. This obsession with European football is ruining the English game all so a few rich in name clubs can get their hands on more money which will never satisfy their insatiable greed.

Yeah that is obviously preferable to any of these things, but it would be naive to think that expansion of European football isn’t happening. For one, it has already been signed off, and is likely to go even further in that direction. I suspect we will lose the league cup, and also probably end up with a smaller PL. There is too much money in the game now sadly. European football is the most lucrative, the league cup is the least lucrative. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Yeah that is obviously preferable to any of these things, but it would be naive to think that expansion of European football isn’t happening. For one, it has already been signed off, and is likely to go even further in that direction. I suspect we will lose the league cup, and also probably end up with a smaller PL. There is too much money in the game now sadly. 

You maybe correct but then I see no justification in your desire to make it worst by wanting to introduce 2 bigoted Scottish teams into the PL at the expense of well established English teams with a history of both success and failure on the backs of the emotions of their fans.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Please - the current lot are absolutely different gravy when it comes to blatant corruption.

I very much doubt it, the media may be better at exposing it, certainly in the not to distant past it was totally ignored/covered up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, davieG said:

I very much doubt it, the media may be better at exposing it, certainly in the not to distant past it was totally ignored/covered up.

Out of respect for you and not derailing matters, I will not pursue this further. Suffice to say, I very much disagree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davieG said:

You maybe correct but then I see no justification in your desire to make it worst by wanting to introduce 2 bigoted Scottish teams into the PL at the expense of well established English teams with a history of both success and failure on the backs of the emotions of their fans.

The main issue I have with the concept is the idea that they would be put straight into the top level, they should arguably start at the bottom of the English football pyramid, but that would never happen. As a general concept (ignoring the practicality of how you would shoe horn them in initially, which would likely be shite), say ten years in, I can see a 34 game season with those clubs in being just as entertaining than the current one, if not more so. Plus, you might be able to keep the league cup. There would still be promotion and relegation, well established clubs could still rise and fall up and down the leagues. Hell, both Glasgow clubs could be relegated in the first season, and it’d be pretty hilarious to watch. 

9 minutes ago, majaco said:

Kill the dreams of other Scottish teams?

Yeah this is the kicker, though reportedly many of them are for it as it means they’re more liked to get European football. I’m not convinced though, it definitely damages the Scottish league 

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

The main issue I have with the concept is the idea that they would be put straight into the top level, they should arguably start at the bottom of the English football pyramid, but that would never happen. As a general concept (ignoring the practicality of how you would shoe horn them in initially, which would likely be shite), say ten years in, I can see a 34 game season with those clubs in being just as entertaining than the current one, if not more so. Plus, you might be able to keep the league cup. There would still be promotion and relegation, well established clubs could still rise and fall up and down the leagues. Hell, both Glasgow clubs could be relegated in the first season, and it’d be pretty hilarious to watch. 

I'll use @HighPeakFox's quote

Out of respect for you and not derailing matters, I will not pursue this further. Suffice to say, I very much disagree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Again perhaps I’m being very naive again as I was yesterday in saying players might actually think about their moves, who they’re playing for and their owners motives but I genuinely think these clubs have done irreparable damage to themselves, lost massive amounts of respect and “their say” will not hold less conviction/the “smaller clubs” will have as much say and finally be listened to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

I’m just looking at the number of additional European games coming up, something has to give. It’s going to be either a smaller league or the loss of the league cup. At least a smaller league should lead to an increase in quality on average.

Their rivalry is box office. Fan experience going to Parkhead is superior to many top flight English grounds I’ve been to (can’t speak for Ibrox tbf as I haven’t been to that one).

Additional CL games is only an issue for the 4 clubs in it, fcuk um including us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I really think there will be less of their shit taken from now on. 

They'll very slowly re-establish their influence it's part of their make-up they can't live normal lives without their fingers in the pie.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

They'll very slowly re-establish their influence it's part of their make-up they can't live normal lives without their fingers in the pie.

For sure, but currently they're at the lowest respect levels for a while. I imagine this will take a long while to be forgotten

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

For sure, but currently they're at the lowest respect levels for a while. I imagine this will take a long while to be forgotten

A week is a long time in football as well as politics as we've seen this week :P