Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

:appl:

This is massive. Sky and BT scream about equal access and rights, yet keep the entire Premier League, CL, most cup games behind a paywall. They wonder why people lose interest when these companies are removing access for people. 

Streaming is huge numbers and a proper faff at times. Those "concerned" for lack of interest in that age group need to look in a mirror rather than changing the game we all love. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spursfanstu said:

Funny, but I can assure you that most Spurs fans are delighted with this falling apart. I'd sooner we lost all our players and got relegated to League 2 than see us take part in the 'European Super League'

I think all 'proper' fans of football agree with you, this idea has been so shite it has managed to unite football fans across the whole country

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This is massive. Sky and BT scream about equal access and rights, yet keep the entire Premier League, CL, most cup games behind a paywall. They wonder why people lose interest when these companies are removing access for people. 

Streaming is huge numbers and a proper faff at times. Those "concerned" for lack of interest in that age group need to look in a mirror rather than changing the game we all love. 

Absolutely. It’s not the fact kids aren’t interested it’s the fact they’ve taken it away from them. 

Bring back football on terrestrial TV and kids will be watching it..... see how many tune in to watch the Euro’s. Give football back to the people. 

It has taken years for then to slowly remove football from mainstream outlets.... and the damage is now showing. 

The BBC/ITV between them in my opinion should have a lunchtime game and a tea time game. And Sundays dedicated to lower leagues. Let sky keep super Sundays and Mondays. Put CL back on terrestrial TV where British teams are involved. 

Some of this silly ESL targeted audience can’t even afford to watch the games, so how they thought they would change this by making it even more inclusive is ****ing stupid. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Absolutely. It’s not the fact kids aren’t interested it’s the fact they’ve taken it away from them. 

Bring back football on terrestrial TV and kids will be watching it..... see how many tune in to watch the Euro’s. Give football back to the people. 

It has taken years for then to slowly remove football from mainstream outlets.... and the damage is now showing. 

The BBC/ITV between them in my opinion should have a lunchtime game and a tea time game. And Sundays dedicated to lower leagues. Let sky keep super Sundays and Mondays. Put CL back on terrestrial TV where British teams are involved. 

Some of this silly ESL targeted audience can’t even afford to watch the games, so how they thought they would change this by making it even more inclusive is ****ing stupid. 

Yep, Sunday afternoon was always a “division 1” game on itv mid nineties. Remember plenty of ours being on. 1-0 away at Derby with ten men. 3-2 away at the baggies after going 3-0 up. 3-2 at home to Norwich. The good old days. 

Also, on a separate note. Anyone think it could all be a plan from UEFA to make it look like their revamp of the champions league doesn’t all seem so bad after all? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Also, on a separate note. Anyone think it could all be a plan from UEFA to make it look like their revamp of the champions league doesn’t all seem so bad after all? 

Too clever for them to planned it and certainly hasn't done those clubs any favours but I'm sure they are celebrating that their offer will now be largely unopposed by these clubs

25 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

They still have the site up https://thesuperleague.com/index.html lol

Because its not over yet. 

It's all going to happen again in a couple of years but with even more disregard for match going supporters. They'll know they'll get away with it and it will be risk free with the lack of action taken by some of the other 14 today  

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

My twopenneth....

Kids don't need games on terrestrial TV anymore. My lad consumes games via his social media feeds on YouTube. 

All the fun and interesting bits of play and interviews and controversy sliced up and ready....plus there's lots of yiutube channels that chew the cud for hours on watchalongs etc. 

Basically kids do consume. But it won't ever be sitting down to watch des lynam on bbc or itv with Elton welsby ever again. Those days are gone.

• Like 2

lol kids are losing interest because it's not on terrestrial tv lol

Kids aren't watching terrestrial TV, do people under the age of 40 watch terrestrial tv? There's a lot more choice out there these days, football is more accessible than it has ever been, especially for kids who know how to use the internet. 

That is probably the most out of date opinion I've heard on here and I've read most of Thracian's posts.

24 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Yep, they have also been pricing them out of attending games - working families can't afford to take four people to every match and park the car and buy them drinks and food out.

Plus, if you are a business its about marketing yourself to the next generation and that means losing revenue and bringing in schools and community projects to games and investing in their local young communities - like our club do, not just doing the odd thing and raking massive publicity from it.

32 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

"Streaming" in and of itself isn't the issue. 

It's the fragmented nature of it and the fact that it's a lottery as to whether your team get shown or not. 

Here is the best solution that still monetises the game for the clubs involved....

The Premier League set up a streaming platform, that they own and run themselves.  they can broadcast ALL of the games in a similar way to how amazon did it last year.  (they are all shown internationally anyway)  Each and every club in the premier league can then have a "season ticket pass" - Let's say this costs £5 per game for every Leicester game...

pass the majority of the revenue raised for each season pass over to the clubs. (with a percentage still going to the premier league to distribute to the football pyramid)  The bigger clubs then get a bigger slice of the pie, but it also gives the smaller clubs an incentive to increase their fan base AND they get properly rewarded for any success or growth in the club. 

It also gives access to the global fanbase for a given club.  Fans would get to see every single game for the club they support. 

Make it cheaper than an actual season ticket for attending matches (let's be honest, the majority of people that support a club can't get access to a season ticket anyway, or don't have the time / ability to get to the games) 

Who loses in that scenario?

Yes, the broadcasters.  But that's not our responsibility. 

The bigger clubs feel fairly rewarded. The smaller clubs operate in a way where they are running the business based on the size of revenue they can generate and fans get better access to the games.

• Like 1

Just a point on the kids - clearly accessibility is the largest issue. However, a lot of Perez and Agnelli have said has no foundation.

Some clubs have step forward from lower down the pyramid and said engagement with their social media in that age group is very high. I’ve seen with my own eyes how increasingly younger lads pop down to non league games when there’s not much to do. I feel there’s been a little sea change when it comes to younger people post university. Yeah there’s a drinking culture but it doesn’t stay in the pub anymore. It’s off to the Football, weekends away etc. I’ve encountered myself lads coming back to play football at 24/25 when they realise they miss it 

Perez made the point about the ‘90 minutes’ - does that not apply to all of us? Due to the nature of WFH, social media etc I very rarely watch 90 minutes, other than LCFC. I catch 30 mins here, 45 mins here. The world has changed collectively that we don’t consume football in the same manner. It’s not to do with age group. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol kids are losing interest because it's not on terrestrial tv lol

Kids aren't watching terrestrial TV, do people under the age of 40 watch terrestrial tv? There's a lot more choice out there these days, football is more accessible than it has ever been, especially for kids who know how to use the internet. 

That is probably the most out of date opinion I've heard on here and I've read most of Thracian's posts.

Fine then.... put it on Netflix. The point was, parents shouldn't have to fork out £40 a month for their kids to be able to watch football. 

And gving their laptops aids by Trying to find streams online isn't exactly a feasible answer either. 

3 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

"Streaming" in and of itself isn't the issue. 

It's the fragmented nature of it and the fact that it's a lottery as to whether your team get shown or not. 

Here is the best solution that still monetises the game for the clubs involved....

The Premier League set up a streaming platform, that they own and run themselves.  they can broadcast ALL of the games in a similar way to how amazon did it last year.  (they are all shown internationally anyway)  Each and every club in the premier league can then have a "season ticket pass" - Let's say this costs £5 per game for every Leicester game...

pass the majority of the revenue raised for each season pass over to the clubs. (with a percentage still going to the premier league to distribute to the football pyramid)  The bigger clubs then get a bigger slice of the pie, but it also gives the smaller clubs an incentive to increase their fan base AND they get properly rewarded for any success or growth in the club. 

It also gives access to the global fanbase for a given club.  Fans would get to see every single game for the club they support. 

Make it cheaper than an actual season ticket for attending matches (let's be honest, the majority of people that support a club can't get access to a season ticket anyway, or don't have the time / ability to get to the games) 

Who loses in that scenario?

Yes, the broadcasters.  But that's not our responsibility. 

The bigger clubs feel fairly rewarded. The smaller clubs operate in a way where they are running the business based on the size of revenue they can generate and fans get better access to the games.

How do the smaller clubs increase their fan base and haven't they all been trying that for the 100 years? 

12 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Fighting Cock is a very special place. 

2718108A-E5C0-413E-AD25-2FBB3A0C1855.thumb.jpeg.751b219529747fd512442f4bf02e99e6.jpeg

Hahahaa can someone remind me what we were actually guilty of doing by the EFL? I seem to recall the season we won it we'd cut our cloth very sensibly with only signing free transfers and a nominal fee for Dean Hammond and Mahrez. I know we spent a horrible amount in the Sven years, was it that that led to us being supposedly dodgy?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

How do the smaller clubs increase their fan base and haven't they all been trying that for the 100 years? 

Well for a start, by being successful.  I'm sure our global fanbase grew significantly on the back on the PL title season.  People may have signed up to a "digital season ticket" for the following season as a result, increasing our revenues. 

Edited by Greg2607

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaa can someone remind me what we were actually guilty of doing by the EFL? I seem to recall the season we won it we'd cut our cloth very sensibly with only signing free transfers and a nominal fee for Dean Hammond and Mahrez. I know we spent a horrible amount in the Sven years, was it that that led to us being supposedly dodgy?

Rules in the Championship meant you were not allowed a loss more of £8 million. 

We received a sum of money from a ghost company to ensure that didn’t occur 

• Like 1

Just now, Greg2607 said:

Well for a start, by being successful.  I'm sure our global fanbase grew significantly on the back on the PL title season.  

I bet that's never occurred to them. All those years they've existed trying not to be successful. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

We set up a dodgy shell company and that was used to put £15 million or so into the club I believe. I think @Babylon did some digging and found out the details back in the day.

That was my issue with FFP though, if the owners want to gift the club money then that should be fine. As long as it's not a loan then there's no risk to the club.