Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Which one thing are you actually referring too? The control exerted by the "big clubs"?

To change the uefa proposal to allocate CL money according to the historic participation of clubs - this would give them a finical advantage over the rest

Edited by foxinsocks

12 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

To change the uefa proposal to allocate CL money according to the historic participation of clubs - this would give them a finical advantage over the rest

Thought that was already going in the bin following the recent Super League debacle? Read that somewhere on the The Athletic, but could be mistaken.

24 minutes ago, davieG said:

Of course have a look at my posts. The problem is how do yo keep it going? Have you got the answer because I and millions of other like minded fans don't know how too. 

Maybe every fan should join the FSA - https://thefsa.org.uk/about/board-and-national-council/ so we become one mighty force.

https://petition.parliament.uk/help

10,000 supporter  gets gov response - 100,000 a debate in parliament.  But media would pick it up by then.

36 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Is this a proposal? I thought it was already in effect, and had been for a few seasons, or are they distorting the payout even more?

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Is this a proposal? I thought it was already in effect, and had been for a few seasons, or are they distorting the payout even more?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/sport/football/champions-league-changes-2024-explained-swiss-model-format-how-works-928489/amp

You could finish 5th and see a club that finished 16th qualify 

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Yes, but I was talking about the distribution of prize money. My understanding is that after we took part in the CL they changed the distribution to give clubs with a higher coefficient a bigger payout. Your post suggested that this was yet to come into effect.

I would love this distortion to be reversed but unfortunately can’t see it happening.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, but I was talking about the distribution of prize money. My understanding is that after we took part in the CL they changed the distribution to give clubs with a higher coefficient a bigger payout. Your post suggested that this was yet to come into effect.

I will look it up... 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I will look it up... 

Found this online:

https://www.cityam.com/champions-league-2020-21-how-prize-money-is-calculated-and-why-the-winners-dont-always-get-paid-the-most/

How Champions League prize money is calculated

Clubs who reach the Champions League group stage are guaranteed a minimum payment of €15m each.

That figure is then topped up depending on their group results, with each win worth an additional €2.7m and draws €0.9m.

Teams who reach the last 16 bank a guaranteed extra €9.5m, plus additional payments the longer they stay in the competition.Quarter-finalists get a further €10.5m on top and semi-finalists another €12m. 

Each Champions League finalist gets €15m, although the winners’ bonus is only a relatively meagre €4m.

So, in basic and performance-related terms, clubs who go all the way can expect at least €76m.

Now for the more complicated – and wildly fluctuating – bits: payments based on Uefa coefficient and broadcast market pool.

How Uefa coefficient affects Champions League prize money

A relatively recent addition to the prize money formula, this element is designed to ensure traditional big clubs get a bigger slice of the pie.

The better a team’s results in Europe over the previous 10 years, the better their coefficient – and the larger their share of this chunk of Champions League cash.

The highest-ranked side is due around €35m, while the lowest gets just over €1m, so the difference made by this factor is significant.

Real Madrid are top of the current coefficients, with Chelsea the best-placed English team in fifth. Ferencvaros of Hungary are bottom.

Top 10 clubs by Uefa coefficient

Club Coefficient points Coefficient payout
Real Madrid 380,000 €35.5m
Bayern Munich 318,000 €34.3m
Barcelona 314,000 €33.2m
Atletico Madrid 236,000 €32.1m
Chelsea 225,000 €31.0m
Juventus 215,000 €29.9m
Man Utd 211,000 €28.8m
Paris Saint-Germain 205,000 €27.7m
Porto 190,000 €26.6m
Man City 188,000 €25.5m

Data source: Uefa

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

You could finish 5th and see a club that finished 16th qualify 

Not quite but not great. The club would still have to finish in a tradtional European finishing place.

In an example from this season, if Man City win the League Cup and finish in CL place, and either us or Chelsea win the FA Cup and finish in the top 6, the traditional European places finish at 7th in the Prem. Under the new reforms if Liverpool finish 7th, they would play CL football the following season based on their history whilst West Ham for example could finish 5th and play EL.

Which is still anti competative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Are you going to start one then?

I am not so hot at wording stuff but I could have a go...  I would expect the media to pick it up and so would be more wary of answering their enquiries.   Would you like to try?  Otherwise I will have a go.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I would love this distortion to be reversed but unfortunately can’t see it happening.

It came into effect, the new one changes it even more. 

Apologies if already posted in this or another thread as this is hour old news, but the quotations from Ceferin are extraordinary relating to Agnelli.

I got calls from five clubs out of those 12, they all apologised to me that they were sorry, but that they had to sign it. Because if they didn’t, they would have dropped out of that league and so on. I called Agnelli right away, he didn’t. Then I slowly just got him on the phone, I said what’s on it, and he said to me, ‘This is bull****, it’s not true, it’s all made up.’ Then I said ‘ok, if it’s made up - because so much again I’m not naive - then let’s make a statement to the public and say there’s nothing wrong with that.’ He said: ‘Great, you make a draft, and we’ll talk.’

Then I tried to get it again with a draft, but slowly I just got it and he said that he doesn’t quite like the draft, that he will change it a little and call me. But he never called again and he turned off the phone. This happened on Saturday night or on the night from Saturday to Sunday.

Perez’ interview last night was absolutely wild, he’s gone full Trump.

Highlights include there being dark forces out to undermine the Super League by giving Leeds and Cadiz t shirts and that the Chelsea fans blocking the entry to Stamford Bridge were stooges.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Perez’ interview last night was absolutely wild, he’s gone full Trump.

Highlights include there being dark forces out to undermine the Super League by giving Leeds and Cadiz t shirts and that the Chelsea fans blocking the entry to Stamford Bridge were stooges.

That guy is a lunatic.  It's like listening to Gaddafi.

43 minutes ago, Sly said:

What is Perez waffling on about. 

“Without the Super League, we couldn’t get Mbappe or Haaland”?

What a knob, that statement alone shows the entitlement that they think they deserve. Real Madrid don’t have a god given right to get the best players on the planet. Maybe try to run your club with a sustainable bank balance, rather than chucking your money into a money pit. 

Unbelievable. 

He's the same guy that wanted to bring in "The Galacticos", the guy is a Circus ring leader, he's no football man... he's no better than Vince McMahon.

All the stars, in 1 place, all so our consumers can easily view the best talent in the world. People like him have no place in Sport.

• Like 1

These 'big' clubs spunking billions up the wall and taking risks on big money transfers ought to see the repercussions of these actions, not be given a safety net. The Swiss deal is the lesser evil but still an evil, because it's making the divide between richer clubs and poorer, or even more well run clubs larger. They are trying to buy success but these cvnt higher ups are trying to paint them as the poor victim saviours of football. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

He's the same guy that wanted to bring in "The Galacticos", the guy is a Circus ring leader, he's no football man... he's no better than Vince McMahon.

All the stars, in 1 place, all so our consumers can easily view the best talent in the world. People like him have no place in Sport.

He’s just working within the boundaries we’ve all allowed our masters to build. Instant gratification, commercial realism, everything in one place easily consumed without thought or consequence. We’re all as guilty with our SKY Sports subscriptions, BT Sport etc etc. 

His mistake was not realising that football is, at heart, fundamentally different. In our hearts it still belongs to us and not them. We are football, not the players or managers and not the owners. It means something to every real fan. He didn’t get that. 

• Like 1