Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Even though I think he is still an annoying rat, looks like Bruno has supported being against the Super League

The second a few players say no, the whole thing crumbles. Players have the power.

I'm hoping this whole saga has the potentially to finally wake up football fans to see that as much as we are against the direction of football in our living rooms, on the ground we are really not doing enough to stop the destruction of our game.

I have to admit (and maybe a few may have noticed) that I took a long hiatus of about 2 years from actively posting on Foxestalk, at a time when we have been at our strongest in our history, because i'm honestly just slightly fed up with the game.

Unfortunately today's game of money and greed is an inevitable consequence of decades of mismanagement, where we have put rivalry and competition over literally everything, and fans have been complicit in this also, we have been so hell bent on having rivalries with eachother and hating other fans that we have provided barely any pushback to corporate greed destroying our clubs from within. This is not just a club level but at National and European level. Our governing bodies have done nothing to protect fans from this apart from to a degree Germany which still have a very sensible ownership model.

The amount of people who love this game alongside the technological revolution has meant that money has been pouring into football at a rate never seen before in history, and with that money comes fiercer competition, with that competition comes a concentration of club power and wealth that most cannot compete with without risky financial decisions. This has left clubs up and down this country on the brink, I would imagine half of the championship teams must be on the brink as we speak financially. Let's not beat around the bush here, the TV and Ad revenue is so high mainly because of the game the top 6 play. Burnley vs Norwich is not a game that most people care to watch, replace either of those teams with Man City and suddenly people are more interested. The potential lost revenue if these clubs break away could massively hit the pockets of not just every club left over in the Premier League, but the clubs that get relegated and need parachute support, the clubs coming up who need investment to compete, and this spirals right down the chain to a situation where suddenly those clubs that are struggling now cannot meet their obligations because they have been forced to overspend in a desperate attempt to stay afloat.

I can't help but feel disassociated with what football has become, even watching Leicester spending 40m on Tielemans blew my mind, he's an amazing footballer, but nobody is worth that much money to kick a ball around from a purely value perspective, from a revenue and ad perspective sure they recoup that investment, but it's the shift from loving the game to treating it as a game of monopoly towards branding and revenue and numbers that has got us into this mess, the big clubs want more and if it means everyone else has less then so be it. I'm not going to blame any club for competing, everyone wants to be the best, it's the fault of the people we entrust to regulate the integrity of the sport, and they have let it get out of control, to the point we are talking about clubs spending £200m on a single player and paying them £1m a week without batting an eyelid, whilst key workers on the ground during a pandemic are working 18-hour shifts and still struggling to provide for their families. Our society as a whole has allowed this to happen and it's time the fans ripped it out of their greedy hands and took it back.

We need HEAVY regulations on our sport, not just nationally but right across Europe, the governing bodies need to come together and enforce stringent rules on anything to do with finance, whether that be wage caps or spending limits, caps on entry fees and food prices, football was built by fans, and it's the fans that built the clubs that are going to lose. The government also needs to show a backbone here, work with other European leaders to stamp this shit out once and for all. I'd love to see the EPL adopt the German model as a starting point or at least something similar.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

Plus with their current EUFA deal they have a vested interest in it not happening because if they lose that they probably buggered. Surely people only watch BT TV for the football?

I watch rugby on BT sport too to be fair, but I'm completely aware that the viewing figures for that are absolutely dwarfed by their football programming. 

Alexander Ceferi takes ESL clubs and execs to task:
“If I start with Ed Woodward, he called me last Thursday evening saying he’s very satisfied with and fully supports the reforms [to the Champions League]. The only thing he want to talk about was FFP, when obviously he had already signed something else ... Andrea Agnelli is the biggest disappointment of all, I’ve never seen a person that would lie so many times, so persistently as he did. It’s unbelievable ... We didn’t know we had snakes so close to us, now we know.’

Gwon Alex!

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Was just thinking exactly this. American sports clubs are really just franchises, and their location is more-or-less irrelevant. Fenway, Glazers, etc are licking their lips at the idea of deploying their business model in a sport which has genuine global appeal (unlike any of the American sports).

So it’d only be a matter of time before Liverpool became the Bahrain Poolers and Arsenal became Beijing Arsenal.

I feel sorry for the people that are part of the clubs that have no say in this. These owners are making the final decision and dont care about the long term futures of the clubs. They're just interested in making some quick money for 10-20 years then whatever happens to the clubs after  it's no skin off their nose

Just now, peach0000 said:

Uefa have confirmed that any participant will be banned from representing their nations internationally. Leads me to think of what the England team may look like. I don't think it would be that bad!

Southgate having kittens at the thought of having to pick players outside those clubs though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Southgate having kittens at the thought of having to pick players outside those clubs though.

Actually kinda hilarious to think how instantly the balance of power in international football would be completely different. I wonder who the biggest winners and losers would be