Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

To compete with Davis?!?

No idea to be honest, I don’t watch much German football and was making an assumption on the fact that Alaba has left and Gosens said a while back he would love to play in Germany.

15 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

To compete with Davis?!?

12 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

No idea to be honest, I don’t watch much German football and was making an assumption on the fact that Alaba has left and Gosens said a while back he would love to play in Germany.

Have Davies and Lucas Hernandez, no need for a left back

Alaba is a centre back now anyway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bayern have Lucas Hernandez (60m) and Alphonso Davis (28m) competing for that position. Alaba was playing CB for them, and Real Madrid brought him in as Ramos is almost past it.

Hey may go to Dortmund, as he was asked about that move and said it would interest him, even though he is a Schalke fan who are one of their biggest rivals.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Bayern have Lucas Hernandez (60m) and Alphonso Davis (28m) competing for that position. Alaba was playing CB for them, and Real Madrid brought him in as Ramos is almost past it.

Hey may go to Dortmund, as he was asked about that move and said it would interest him, even though he is a Schalke fan who are one of their biggest rivals.

Nah I can’t see him at Dortmund to be honest.

14 hours ago, Merchant_Banker said:

Are you suggesting I am xenophobic and arrogant? (You might be right. :D)

Not pointing any fingers at specific people, just find the general sense of condescension towards American soccer fans here pretty tiresome.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

Never understood how it came to be called a boot. Trunk makes much more sense historically.

The word “boot”(which is commonly used by the English), goes back to 18th century horse-drawn carriages where the coachman sat on a chest, which was used to store, among other things, his boots. This storage space came to be termed as the boot locker”, which soon became the boot

I have such a broad range of knowledge.  I'm surprised you lot didn't know this.  I definitely didn't just google it.

15 hours ago, 4everfox said:

The best one I've noticed is the word "gas" being used instead of petrol...which is a liquid.

Short for gasoline.  Nothing to do with it's physical state.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

The word “boot”(which is commonly used by the English), goes back to 18th century horse-drawn carriages where the coachman sat on a chest, which was used to store, among other things, his boots. This storage space came to be termed as the boot locker”, which soon became the boot

I have such a broad range of knowledge.  I'm surprised you lot didn't know this.  I definitely didn't just google it.

But still fuching stupid. We don’t call the stuff pet, do we?

32 minutes ago, murphy said:

Before Google there were encyclopaedias, etymological dictionaries and Susie Dent - but congrats if you worked all that out under your own deductive steam.

Now, the Germans use the word 'Kofferraum' - which means 'space for luggage'. Simples.

Guest Bert Fill
1 hour ago, murphy said:

18 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

Never understood how it came to be called a boot. Trunk makes much more sense historically.

Certainly sounds plausible enough. So both boot and trunk make perfect sense really!

Guest Bert Fill
27 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Now, the Germans use the word 'Kofferraum' - which means 'space for luggage'

It was about time someone got this thread back on topic - well done!

17 hours ago, NYC Fox Fan said:

I actually call it petrol. In New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas. I always tell the gas attendant petrol and they flip out. Another one is pram vs stroller...

Hmmm, I'm not convinced :D

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

It was about time someone got this thread back on topic - well done!

More like nudged it gently - unintentionally. I'm as guilty as anyone for leading a thread off-topic...or should that be off topic. Susie!...:blush:

Guest Bert Fill
17 hours ago, NYC Fox Fan said:

Another one is pram vs stroller

‘Pram’ is such a vulgar abbreviation, don’t you find?

I only ever use ‘perambulator’ myself.

Guest Bert Fill
2 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

‘Pram’ is such a vulgar abbreviation, don’t you find?

I only ever use ‘perambulator’ myself.

Kinderwagen.

(Just to fend off accusations of going off-topic…!)

4 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

Kinderwagen.

(Just to fend off accusations of going off-topic…!)

Just so long as we have enough depth on both sides of the pitch next season to not have to play anyone who needs a kinderwagen, I'll be happy... 

On 14/06/2021 at 17:14, NYC Fox Fan said:

I actually call it petrol. In New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas. I always tell the gas attendant petrol and they flip out. Another one is pram vs stroller...

Perambulator.  Strollambulator doesn't work.